Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

is there any suckler farmers out there fsrming full time

• 05-08-2011 2:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭

just wondering how many suckler farmers are farming full time and are you making a living? working full time myself but must admit the old day job is killing me at times..needs must so i will have to stay at it for another while, after been used to a regular wage i think it would be hard to survive without it but its always in the back of my mind that if I had enough land i would give up the job and try and farm away

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭betsie

Well not exactly me personally, but my parents suckler farm at home is how they make their living full time and has been for a long time now, always put food on the table and put me through school etc so it is possible we and would by no means have a huge farm its more about being efficient in what you have than size itself (obviously within reason).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

full time here, but money is always tight, even with the good cattle prices now. OH not working either.....

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

blue5000 wrote: »
    full time here, but money is always tight, even with the good cattle prices now. OH not working either.....

in fairness you must be some operator and all credit to you. we used to have a suckler herd along with the finishing business. thank god we got out of it. Fair dues to anyone that can make a living from it. I presume your historic SFP goes a long way? if this was removed would you survive?

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭alderdeer

Fair dues to anyone that can make a living from it.

Good man bob full of good news, I havnt replied to anything on boards in a while but your post just caught me, I hope your wrong about that cos ive over 50 mostly heifers bulled in the last few months and im hoping not to touch my SFP next yr as i have being doing with the stores up to this by selling the weanlings in the autumn or am i just being naive, i hope not and yes im FTF and the OH is working

in fairness you must be some operator and all credit to you. we used to have a suckler herd along with the finishing business. thank god we got out of it. Fair dues to anyone that can make a living from it. I presume your historic SFP goes a long way?

if this was removed would you survive?

No, not after having to pay for slurry storage!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I wouldn't like to be without the day job.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭pmct

alderdeer wrote: »
    Good man bob full of good news, I havnt replied to anything on boards in a while but your post just caught me, I hope your wrong about that cos ive over 50 mostly heifers bulled in the last few months and im hoping not to touch my SFP next yr as i have being doing with the stores up to this by selling the weanlings in the autumn or am i just being naive, i hope not and yes im FTF and the OH is working

Every where I turn there's people talking about all the heifers that their bulling in a few years cattle will be worse than ever when will people learn to leave cattle scarce

alderdeer wrote: »

If Larry reads boards he'll be rubbing the hands together with glee

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭alderdeer

Steady on there lads i could point out at least 10 lads within a few mile radius that have reduced their herd by 20% so i wouldnt worry too much yet, i think larry will be short a few head for a while yet

• Registered Users Posts: 41 sprouty

For me the day job is a necessary evil,yet not a day goes by but i daydream about being full time farming. Tis gas really-my father thinks Ive got it made yet I envy him the life he had-no clients wrecking his head etc!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

sprouty wrote: »
    For me the day job is a necessary evil,yet not a day goes by but i daydream about being full time farming. Tis gas really-my father thinks Ive got it made yet I envy him the life he had-no clients wrecking his head etc!

ya very true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 epff

i with you on love to go at it full time.consider it quiet often but mortgage bills and general house running take me back to reality very quickly.its not a hobby for me it is work that i enjoy but takes up all free time hollidays ect. some years it very close to paying the bills but too unpredictiable to rear a family on like previous generations did

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭farmerjohn

lads do ye not think that the reason that people are not making money in suckler farming would be because most havent got the numbers to be selling at the end of the year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

farmerjohn wrote: »
    lads do ye not think that the reason that people are not making money in suckler farming would be because most havent got the numbers to be selling at the end of the year

well i suppose if you have enough land to support alot of stock you should be able make a go of it alright..

Advertisement