Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Many products in Aldi are packaged in non recyclable material.

• 05-08-2011 2:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭

Hi.

I like Aldi. Their products are fairly cheap in comparison to other larger supermarkets.
    However I notice that many items use packaging that cannot be recycled. Where possible I will not buy non recyclable stuff. I see this as a big black mark against Aldi. The planet needs a break. :(

I am less familiar with Lidl but do they too use a lot of non recyclable material?

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

What type of products? I use Lidl and Aldi but hadn't really noticed that their packaging was any worse than the other supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,743 ✭✭✭Worztron

What type of products? I use Lidl and Aldi but hadn't really noticed that their packaging was any worse than the other supermarkets.

Too many to list. Some of the ones I saw are soup packets, chocolate bar wrappers (pity as the Dairyfine chocolate bars in Aldi are lovely), many more, etc.

Mitch Hedberg: "Rice is great if you're really hungry and want to eat two thousand of something."

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Worztron wrote: »
    Too many to list. Some of the ones I saw are soup packets, chocolate bar wrappers (pity as the Dairyfine chocolate bars in Aldi are lovely), many more, etc.
    combinations of foil/paper are very common for things that need to be hermathetically sealed.

Which supermarkets package those things in recyclable materials ?
    and tbh those things are only a few grammes so the aren't doing too bad when you take into account the budget they have

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 6,376 Mod ✭✭✭✭Macha

combinations of foil/paper are very common for things that need to be hermathetically sealed.
    Yep, composites are the worst for recycling but it would be nice to know if someone is looking into improving the design.

The aluminium in the foil is incredibly energy intensive.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭Going Forward

Worztron wrote: »
    Hi.

I like Aldi. Their products are fairly cheap in comparison to other larger supermarkets.
    However I notice that many items use packaging that cannot be recycled. Where possible I will not buy non recyclable stuff. I see this as a big black mark against Aldi. The planet needs a break. :(

I am less familiar with Lidl but do they too use a lot of non recyclable material?

I had noticed that myself of late. What I would have expected to easily recyclable material is not so.

But is it that Aldi just actually give more accurate information about the recycling of their packaging than the mainstream supermarkets?

I wouldnt have thought that the packaging they use is any less environmentally friendly than anyone elses, maybe they are just more upfront about giving the info?

(Or is recycling industry not all that it has been trumped up to be?)

If not I would be concerned that half the stuff put in peoples recycling bins in good faith is going to refuse and not being recycled at all.:confused:

Sorry not much experience with Lidl.

• Advertisement

If someone has Tetleys tea or Brennans bread packaging in their home - can you tell me if they are recyclable or not? There is no marking to say which is the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭FightingIrish

Brennans packaging is definately recycleable!

Brennans packaging is definately recycleable!

Thank you. Why doesn't it say that on the package?

Advertisement