Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stripping Paint

• 05-08-2011 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hello

I have a bedroom that is need of a painting. However there are several layers of paint on it already and the wall could do with a few repairs( holes to be filled and sanded).
    Am I mad trying to strip the paint and repair the holes or should i just paint over it. The color at the moment is a dark green. What is the best way to strip the [aint. I have tried a heat gun and it works but its time consuming.Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭irelandspurs

I'd pay someone to do it for you,might be safer :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

Reilly88 wrote: »
    Hello

I have a bedroom that is need of a painting. However there are several layers of paint on it already and the wall could do with a few repairs( holes to be filled and sanded).
    Am I mad trying to strip the paint and repair the holes or should i just paint over it. The color at the moment is a dark green. What is the best way to strip the [aint. I have tried a heat gun and it works but its time consuming.Thanks in advance

You don't need to strip the paint off the walls - if that's what you're intending. There isn't much problem filling holes/dents with a proprietry filler if they're not too big.

Don't try to fill too much into a hole in one go or the filler will sag and harden and you'll have a lot of sanding to do. If the surface has dirt/hairs caught in the paint you can give it a light sand with sandpaper wrapped around a block of wood. Other than that you don't sand walls.

You don't need to strip the woodwork either - unless it's really crap. Just a light sand to take the sheen off the old paint and it's ready for a new top coat. You can buy emery-coated sponge pads in the sandpaper section of diy stores. They're excellent for making short work of this boring task. They're about the size of a cigarette box and black

The way to cover a dark colour is to apply a few coats - two would be normaly to get a solid, even finish in any case - so three coats likely in this case. If you like you can use cheap white emulsion to get rid of the green then paint the colour you want on top of that

I use gloss rollers with emulsion on walls (using a paintbrush for getting into the corners/ above the skirting). They require more frequent loading up but give a far smoother finish than the bushier emulsion rollers.

best of luck..

Advertisement