Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

purple leafed plum (prunus cerasifera nigra)

Options
  • 05-08-2011 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭

hi, i have a number of these trees in my garden (inherited them when i moved in) they're about 7 foot in height so relatively young trees!! i've noticed on all of them, but more so on the smaller ones, that the branches are practically engulfed in a yellow type fungus (guessing). any idea what this is? does it inhibit growth? how can i get rid of it? thank you i advance for any replies

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 gardenman77

Very difficult to say without seeing a picture. It would be unusual to have a fungus visible on the branches if they are alive. If the branches are dead, yes a fungus is likely.
    Could you post a picture?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

014sco.jpg

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/143/014sco.jpg/

hope that's clear enough! ill be gutted if they're dead :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 gardenman77

Celt,

You're quick on the ball!
    Good news, the tree is fine The yellow on the branches is a fine coating of lichen like you will see on a rock. It's generally a sign that the trees have not been growing and are probably quite hungry.
    If there is grass or weeds growing at their base, they should be removed to leave clear soil, at least to a 12" radius from the stem.
    Secondly a good feed, very well rotted manure as a topdress or even fertilizer available from any garden center. Once fed they should thrive!!

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

nice one, thanks a million gardenman :D i've actually just done all you've said to do today aswel, but feared i might have been too late. digged up all the grass within a foot of each one, put down chicken manure pellets and covered them over with a tree compost! thanks again mate :)

Advertisement