Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC price DECREASE

• 05-08-2011 4:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭

just got a letter in the post today that says my bill is going down. im on the 100mb package and its going down to €50 a month as apposed to €57. new bill comes on the 5th september.

anyone else get this?

is it possible to use this to get out of contract? not cut my service, just get out of contract so i can give them a 30 day notice as apposed to paying my way out if i ever need to leave?

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,874 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

LOL, you want to use a price DECREASE to get out of your contract!!!

I've heard it all now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

why?

its always a good idea to get out of contract when you're legally entitled to do so.

they were doing it with the o2 and meteor shenanigans when they were restructuring their price schemes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Is this another get out of contract but keep the service thread? There is no obligation for them to let you keep the service if you want to terminate the contract.

Why is it a good idea to get out of the contract if you've no intention of stopping the service? If you're not leaving UPC, then the contract doesn't matter.

When UPC change the terms of the service, you can either accept that change, or terminate the agreement completely. This ends your service with them. You can't reject the new terms, but still keep using the service with those new terms in place, because then you do accept them.

Also, since UPC have changed the price in your favour, if you decide to reject that change then they could theoretically keep your contract the same, and charge you more. You would therefore not be allowed out of the contract, and would have done yourself out of €7 a month. This is the craziest thing I've ever seen asked, and it's the second time it's been asked in two days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,794 ✭✭✭cookie1977

I would agree with the op on this in that if a company changes my T&C"s for better or worse I will always look to exit my contract. Too many companies hide these notifications of changes (and usually they change T&C's for the worse) deep on their websites and try to get away. Even when you notice it and try to exit they'll use all manner of reasons not to release you. If companies don't change their T&C's I'll happily stay in contract but if they do I will always look to exit.

I do think if you reject the changes you can stay but at the better (or as in this case) the worse rate. Why? Because the wording of the EU regulation 17 is "without penalty" and I successfully got comreg to agree to this when Vodafone chnaged my T&C's (moved off preak calls from 6PM-8am to 7pm-7am).

Quote the regulation to them stating that you have an existing contract and they must release you without penalty and that kicking you off your current plan is a form of penalty. You may have to fight this as I did but you should win as the regulations are clear. Although it is funny you want to pay more. But that's your decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭guil

jor el wrote: »
    Is this another get out of contract but keep the service thread? There is no obligation for them to let you keep the service if you want to terminate the contract.

Why is it a good idea to get out of the contract if you've no intention of stopping the service? If you're not leaving UPC, then the contract doesn't matter.

When UPC change the terms of the service, you can either accept that change, or terminate the agreement completely. This ends your service with them. You can't reject the new terms, but still keep using the service with those new terms in place, because then you do accept them.

Also, since UPC have changed the price in your favour, if you decide to reject that change then they could theoretically keep your contract the same, and charge you more. You would therefore not be allowed out of the contract, and would have done yourself out of €7 a month. This is the craziest thing I've ever seen asked, and it's the second time it's been asked in two days.
    no, thats wrong, i'm sure o2 lost thousands of customers last year

if they went with what you're saying i would of had my service terminated with o2 once i gout out of the contract

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

What is it with these have your cake and eat it threads lately

Have to LOL in all honesty

Shin

Excluding the fact the op wants to pay more. Why is it a have your cake and eat it issue. Comreg has already had words with upc about not publishing notifications of T&C changes clearly. If you lost your jobn and couldn't afford to pay they'd hold you to your contract so I see it as incumbent on me to exit a contract if they fail to meet my original T&C's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,463 ✭✭✭shinzon

cookie1977 wrote: »
    Excluding the fact the op wants to pay more. Why is it a have your cake and eat it issue. Comreg has already had words with upc about not publishing notifications of T&C changes clearly. If you lost your jobn and couldn't afford to pay they'd hold you to your contract so I see it as incumbent on me to exit a contract if they fail to meet my original T&C's.

so what your saying (as in the ops case)is youd rather not recieve a letter saying your gonna be paying less for your package and just continue to pay 57 pounds and use the excuse that there offering you something for less as a get out of contract clause

ok nps

:rolleyes:

Shin

shinzon wrote: »
    so what your saying (as in the ops case)is youd rather not recieve a letter saying your gonna be paying less for your package and just continue to pay 57 pounds and use the excuse that there offering you something for less as a get out of contract clause

ok nps

:rolleyes:

Shin

? I never said any such thing. In fact I said I was puzzled that the op wanted to pay more but that's their right. And my reading of the regulation 17 is that they can't penalise you for wanting to get out of contract. And comreg agreed with me to on that when I got out of contract with Vodafone who wanted to kick me off the network as under this specific regulation that would be a form of penalty. So if the op wants to pay more and exit their contract without penalty then under reg 17 of EU law that's their right.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

If you accept the new prices/charges or whatever do they say it extends your contract for a further 12 months?

• Advertisement

No it doesn't. your existing contract continues as normal or if you're out of contract you can leave whenever, even after the changes are brought in.

cookie1977 wrote: »
    No it doesn't. your existing contract continues as normal or if you're out of contract you can leave whenever, even after the changes are brought in.

Thanks thats what I would have expected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭bricks

guil wrote: »
    no, thats wrong, i'm sure o2 lost thousands of customers last year

if they went with what you're saying i would of had my service terminated with o2 once i gout out of the contract

Yeah you probably could easily have terminated your service with O2 and moved to a very similar Vodafone or 3 or Meteor service. People move mobile operators all the time to get new phones and better offers etc...

But with UPC the option to terminate doesn't really exist and they know this. Who's gonna move from a working UPC service to DSL or wireless?
    What would you get on DSL for 50 Euros a month?

I take you're point about them being odd tho, I'm not on the 100Mbits because they will charge me more per month than new customers, so I just stick with the 30Mbits for the moment. (And I'm not bothered getting onto their loyalty department and begging for it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

dub45 wrote: »
    Thanks thats what I would have expected.

That's what you expected? From UPC? You?:eek::P

But seriously i can't believe there are people who think it is within their rights to leave a contract because they disagree with the changes, but still continue to avail of the service anyway.

It is within their rights. As they dont agree with the changes being made. Seriously I cant believe people are defending a corporation who have treated people badly before just beacuse these people now have a chance to get their own back if they like...legally.

http://www.comreg.ie/_fileupload/publications/ComReg1113.pdf

sorry for only rejoining this thread now, i was at work.

The whole point in canceling your contract for the purpose i mentioned is that ive no idea where ill be in 10 months time, which is when my contract ends.

If i lost my job tomorrow, id seriously consider emigrating abroad. Does anyone think UPC would be lenient and just let me out of contract? the answer is; No way in hell. they'd make me pay every last cent of the full length contract.

obviously this is my own doing, signing up to a new contract with UPC only 2 months ago, but i was in a very different situation then and i had presumed id be living in this house for that period of time.

The way meteor and O2 were doing it, is that you rejected the new terms, thus released from contract, then in an effort to keep you as a customer, moved some of those people who stayed onto a rolling 30 day contract (that could be terminated with 30 days notice), effectively making you 'out of contract', which is where i want to be with UPC.

i honestly cant see how people think this is a stupid thing to pursue? forget about the fact that the price is decreasing, its changing. everyone knows that it can and will most likely go up again in the foreseeable future.

EDIT: and FWIW, i wasnt trying to start a UPC bashing/loving thread, i was just inquiring about information. i couldn't be much happier with my service, its spot on.

That's what you expected? From UPC? You?:eek::P

But seriously i can't believe there are people who think it is within their rights to leave a contract because they disagree with the changes, but still continue to avail of the service anyway.

From any company operating the terms and conditions properly.

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    sorry for only rejoining this thread now, i was at work.

The whole point in canceling your contract for the purpose i mentioned is that ive no idea where ill be in 10 months time, which is when my contract ends.

If i lost my job tomorrow, id seriously consider emigrating abroad. Does anyone think UPC would be lenient and just let me out of contract? the answer is; No way in hell. they'd make me pay every last cent of the full length contract.

obviously this is my own doing, signing up to a new contract with UPC only 2 months ago, but i was in a very different situation then and i had presumed id be living in this house for that period of time.

The way meteor and O2 were doing it, is that you rejected the new terms, thus released from contract, then in an effort to keep you as a customer, moved some of those people who stayed onto a rolling 30 day contract (that could be terminated with 30 days notice), effectively making you 'out of contract', which is where i want to be with UPC.

i honestly cant see how people think this is a stupid thing to pursue? forget about the fact that the price is decreasing, its changing. everyone knows that it can and will most likely go up again in the foreseeable future.

EDIT: and FWIW, i wasnt trying to start a UPC bashing/loving thread, i was just inquiring about information. i couldn't be much happier with my service, its spot on.

I don't think it is a stupid thing to do:) however as you point out above Metor and O2 were being flexible to hold onto customers but they had the final say.

UPC are in the happy position (for them!) that they have customers flocking to them so they may not need the complications of people wanting to break the contract but hang on in there.

I don't think it is a stupid thing to do:) however as you point out above Metor and O2 were being flexible to hold onto customers but they had the final say.

UPC are in the happy position (for them!) that they have customers flocking to them so they may not need the complications of people wanting to break the contract but hang on in there.
    thanks.:o

i thought i was being very stupid cause people were saying "ive now heard it all" etc etc:eek:
    but i honestly cant see why you wouldnt try it.

i obviously dont want to leave UPC right now, i said it in my OP pretty clearly.
    was just wondering if its been done before with UPC or other ISP's, but clearly its unheard of :rolleyes::rolleyes:

thanks.:o

i thought i was being very stupid cause people were saying "ive now heard it all" etc etc:eek:
    but i honestly cant see why you wouldnt try it.

i obviously dont want to leave UPC right now, i said it in my OP pretty clearly.
    was just wondering if its been done before with UPC or other ISP's, but clearly its unheard of :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have a vague recollection (old age etc:rolleyes:) of this happening on a large scale some time ago with O2 and some of the other mobile phone companies when they put up their charges but people stayed with them on a month to month basis.

• Advertisement

I have a vague recollection (old age etc:rolleyes:) of this happening on a large scale some time ago with O2 and some of the other mobile phone companies when they put up their charges but people stayed with them on a month to month basis.
    it happens all the time yea.

it was great timing too when it happened last time. my mom was moving to the UK and meteor wanted somewhere well over €400 for her to cancel her contract with them (she was on the highest plan with them and several months left) even though she had been a perfect customer for well over 5 years on their most expensive package, they couldnt give a ****.
    she was about to head in to settle it up with them when that day the price change came up on boards. phoned up meteor on her behalf and told them where to stick it. happy days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

I have a vague recollection (old age etc:rolleyes:) of this happening on a large scale some time ago with O2
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=66432098

it just came up again in another similar thread here.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭xTanyax

Hi,
    Yes I received one of those letters also. My broadband price is actually going up, I'm on a different package to yourself, I think it's 25euro's a month now & it's going up to 30euro's if I'm not mistaken. I can't find the letter at the moment but they also said that they we're giving 2 extra TV channels ..True Movies & can't remember the other one:rolleyes:! I know their free-view channels anyways. It did have at the end of the letter that I have 30Days to opt out of their service. I really hope this includes the TV because that day I got the letter Sky called and I ended up signing up with them. I have been with Ntl/Upc for years but I only have their digital box a couple of months, so I hope they don't try to charge me a cancellation fee:confused:... I hope they mean TV & Broadband. I will be keeping the broadband with them though. It's annoying too that they've knocked off so many channels. That's one of the main reasons I'll be leaving them.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭thisNthat

Just wondering has anyone ever actually had first hand experience of being brought to court and sued by UPC for not paying their bill/contract?

I mean if you want to leave UPC, and you cancelled your direct debit with them, they will obviously cut of all their services from you but has anyone ACTUALLY been sued??

I not recommending you don't pay your bills, Far from it, I know your in contract and legally obliged to etc. but just wondering has anyone here first hand experience of being sued by UPC for not paying their bill?

I don't want to know about a guy down the pub who said he knows someone who was etc.. but anyone here personally have experience of this??

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭xTanyax

No not to my knowledge anyway..
    thisNthat wrote: »
    Just wondering has anyone ever actually had first hand experience of being brought to court and sued by UPC for not paying their bill/contract?

I mean if you want to leave UPC, and you cancelled your direct debit with them, they will obviously cut of all their services from you but has anyone ACTUALLY been sued??

I not recommending you don't pay your bills, Far from it, I know your in contract and legally obliged to etc. but just wondering has anyone here first hand experience of being sued by UPC for not paying their bill?

I don't want to know about a guy down the pub who said he knows someone who was etc.. but anyone here personally have experience of this??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

How much will 100MB broadband costs after the price decreases? I am on 50MB ATM and have TV and the phone as well.

CorkMan wrote: »
    How much will 100MB broadband costs after the price decreases? I am on 50MB ATM and have TV and the phone as well.
    I've the phone and 100mb package. Normally pay €57 but in September its going down to €50.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

I've the phone and 100mb package. Normally pay €57 but in September its going down to €50.

wtf, i've the 50 meg package only and i'm paying 57.. and i've gotten no notice of a price decrease :/

wtf, i've the 50 meg package only and i'm paying 57.. and i've gotten no notice of a price decrease :/
    You sure? Do you pay the standalone charge and how much is it? I was an early bird and got in with the loyalty department thing where I don't pay that charge. so I get a small 'discount' already

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

its 50 for the broadband and the 7-8 euro standalone charge. I didn't get it for the last 2-3 months, because they kept 'forgetting' to cancel my tv/movies package, so I kept getting charged for it.. so I had a lot of credit with them to pay the last few months. soon as the credit ran out though, standalone charge reappeared on my bill.

it was 57 or 58 euro bill the last bill anyway, i guess i'll find out if it decreases or increases at the 28th of this month.. i certainly didnt get a letter about any change

Advertisement