Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Video for new website

Options
  • 05-08-2011 4:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    I'm thinking of either making myself, or getting someone to make, a 20-30 second video explaining the concept of a new website I'm working on.

The website is called www.turbolingo.com. It's in development still, but the idea of the site is for live language exchange - language learners are matched with a language partner and can chat over webcam.

For example, if I'm practicing French, I can be partnered with a French person practicing English.

A nice little vid could do a lot to explain this, so I was hoping of getting some ideas here on how I could do it!

Please note I have a miniscule budget for this :o

Many thanks :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

a 20-30 second video is fine for a trailer/advert for your website but an instruction video should be about a minute or more.

If you go with advert videos as well as an instructon video then make more than one advert and have them in reserve to freshen things up from time to time.

Miniscule means a do it yourself video I'd say because video is one of the most time consuming skills on a PC.

Good luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Cianos

a 20-30 second video is fine for a trailer/advert for your website but an instruction video should be about a minute or more.

If you go with advert videos as well as an instructon video then make more than one advert and have them in reserve to freshen things up from time to time.

Miniscule means a do it yourself video I'd say because video is one of the most time consuming skills on a PC.

Good luck.

Thanks for the reply. I'd hope that the one vid could act as a promo video and an explanation of the concept. The interface of the site is quite simple so users don't really need to be instructed on how to use it, I just want something that explains the idea in a quick and simple way, so people 'get it' :)

One idea I had was to just print out some paper cut outs, and film top-down some actions of two people logging on and being matched. With a nice voice over it could turn out well (then again, it could turn out awful!)

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭EIREHotspur

It's a terrible idea because you'd want to know what your at to make it look good.

Pity you don't have a screen capture program like camtasia.
    A snappy established shot of a photogenic young lad/girl sitting down to log onto their computer.
    Then screen captured shots of the screen logging in with titles over it set to music.
    thing with video and especially adverts is snappy editing.....keep it moving to keep it interesting.....no shots over 3-5 seconds.

Advertisement