Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AIB - Using my bank card in S.E. Asia

Options
  • 05-08-2011 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭

Hi folks,

I was in NYC earlier in the year when AIB changed their rules on the daily limit at ATM's when using your laser card. Am heading to Singapore and Vietnam later this year, and want to avoid the hassle again, so rang them to enquire about the limits for Singapore and Vietnam.

The very polite staff member told me that they don't know what the limits are for those countries, or which ATM's will accept my card. They also told me it isn't their policy - its the atms in each country, which is in direct contrast to what I was told earlier in the year.

So rather than carrying giant lumps of cash, or relying on a credit card, does anyone know what the situation is in S.E. Asia using an AIB laser card, or what the situation is with other banks, for instance, if I opened an Ulster Bank account, could I use a visa debit card in atms, and have a reasonable daily withdrawal limit?

Thanks
    starfish12

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭Beano

if you use your aib card outside ireland you will be subject to a daily withdrawal of E140. what the staff member meant is that atms in se asia may have their own limits which may be lower than that. you could also find that you cannot use your card at all as happened to me last year in thailand. i made an expensive phone call to aib but they were unable to tell me why it didnt work. all they knew is that the problem wasnt on their end as they hadnt even received an authorisation request from the atm. in the end i had to get family back home to send cash to me by western union.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

Transfer cash on to your credit card, thats what I always do.

That way you will not get stung for a cash advance charge which is extortionate as your credit card will have a positive balance on it, and visa is more widely accepted than doing the lottery thing with the atms and your lazer card.

Bear in mind though there is a charge on either card for "cross border handling" from what I remember , think it was about 2 or 3 %

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Not a Consumer Issue - moved to Banking & Insurance & Pensions

dudara

Advertisement