Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

buying milk quota from national pool

• 05-08-2011 5:10pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭

just wondering what needs ta be done ta buy from the national pool as a new entrant into dairying. ie are qualifications needed, how much allowed buy etc

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Pauric Mc

I bought quota as a new entrant last year. you dont ned any qualifications, just a herd number. you will get most of ur quota from the priority pool at 5cents/litre as a new entrant, you will also get more from the exchange if you are under 35, its 2:1 I think, the most you can buy is 100,000 litres at a time but you wont get near that. which co op are ya goin to supply?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭case 956

pauric mac, lakeland co op, how much did you get ta buy? also did you stsrt milking yet!! got 85 acres inherted to me and am only 22

only ended up with 35000l tried the new entrant scheme this year but didnt get it, yeh sending since april this year, did ya buy cows or parlour yet?

bought 10 heifer calves and 8 unit alfa parlour. nt been nosey nw but you milking many for dat nd how did you start buying calves or calved heifers and who ya suppling and when you sent in the application form how long did it take ta you goy word you got quota

supplying lakeland as well, bought cows from a fella that was getting out and bought some incalf heifers as well, ended up with 22. sold the suckler cows to buy them last november, put in a second hand westfalia 8 unit direct line machine in a converted hay shed that I had dismantled a few years ago. converted 3 bays of the creep area in the slatted shed to cubicles, second hand tank as well, just got a refridgeration company to install it. You will hear soon enough from the quota, about a month id say. It is the 1 thing that will hold ya back because its becoming seriously scarce this year, less than 12 months ago I was told it wouldnt be a problem in this co op so be carefull with that. when do you hope to start sending?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19 supermajor

Pauric Mc wrote: »
    I bought quota as a new entrant last year. you dont ned any qualifications, just a herd number. you will get most of ur quota from the priority pool at 5cents/litre as a new entrant, you will also get more from the exchange if you are under 35, its 2:1 I think, the most you can buy is 100,000 litres at a time but you wont get near that. which co op are ya goin to supply?

Can u buy quota without any qualifications? So if i had a herd number thats all i need? I tot u had to show where you are goin to milk and give a 5 year business plan to become a new entrant sorry but i'm a bit slow today:D

next april i hope. lyk urself convert creep area nd building parlour frm scratch. hope ta milk 100 post quota. when ya start de buildings nd are you milking 22 to fill 35000lts?? hope i get quota dat me worry

Started last september, wsted the summer fightin with banks and pricing stuff, kinda suited at that time cos i had weanlings to sell. yeh I can handle 100+ as well but it wont be his side of 2015, havent enough quota so prob dry them off early and hopefully the co op will come in under quota. Theres **** all help for anyone starting into dairy from that point. the new entrant scheme is a lottery at best

now ya sed no help for us at al. only thing is my teagasc adviser is super helpful, wel i have reseeding ta do so wil take advantge of it while stocking rate low. are you under 35 and have ya a green cert

How do ya find the co op? yeh im 25 and have the cert, Ive a lot of re seding to do to, and roadways, justfenced passes for this year, what type of cow wil ya go for?

• Advertisement

british friesian. der ok lyk al cud b beta. i havent mee cert finished yet but wil have dis yr. did you try crossbreeding with jersey runts or norweigan?

supermajor wrote: »
    Can u buy quota without any qualifications? So if i had a herd number thats all i need? I tot u had to show where you are goin to milk and give a 5 year business plan to become a new entrant sorry but i'm a bit slow today:D

Ur half right! the green cert and business plan for the new entrant scheme

lots of milk in them 2. no I used AI on all the cows this year, holstien, but ones with some thickness, not the real severe ones, the cows would have some british friesian through them 2, gives them some more power, im not keen on that cross breeding craic but some fellas like it, great price per litre but very few litres! I reckon new entrants should be exempt from super levy for a few years, at leat for 20 or 30 thousand gallons, like where do they expect ya to get quota from scratch

how we suppose ta get on our feet with dat super levy, it holding us back. ya i not into that crossbreeding either. you working or farming fulltime lad?

Farming full time yeh

best ta luck wit de cows hope al goes well for ya, cheers for de help

no bother hope it goes well for ya. keep us posted on how ya get on

wil do def, wont do any building ta i get de quota

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

Jayus this text talk is doing my head in do any of you lot read the rules of posting? Also as regards new entrants getting priority I know of young farmers back in the 80's that struggled for years to get up to 40,000 gallons through buying quota at a lot more expense than it is now. They got f all priority.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

you have the opportunity to buy milk for 5 cent and still complain

we bid 34 cent last time and didn't get any milk - so ye are getting milk for 1/7th the price i am

also don't forget where your new entrant milk is coming from - it hasn't just magically appeared - it had been deducted from current farmers quota

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Corkfarmer

Tipp Man wrote: »
    you have the opportunity to buy milk for 5 cent and still complain

we bid 34 cent last time and didn't get any milk - so ye are getting milk for 1/7th the price i am

also don't forget where your new entrant milk is coming from - it hasn't just magically appeared - it had been deducted from current farmers quota

I thought it came from the annual 1% increase in National quota that we're getting up to 2015. I see where your coming from though, it doesn't seem fair that people had to pay so much for quota and they're gone now in 2015.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Tipp Man

Corkfarmer wrote: »
    I thought it came from the annual 1% increase in National quota that we're getting up to 2015.

The country gets a 1% increase which is distributed as 0.75% to current dairy farmers and 0.25% to national reserve or modulation or whatever its called

It shows as a deduction from your annual quota statement afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Corkfarmer

I see quota isn't completely gone as Dairygold have introduced this scheme that penalises you for producing at peak and you can make it back by spreading production. I suppose it makes sense alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

Corkfarmer wrote: »
    I see quota isn't completely gone as Dairygold have introduced this scheme that penalises you for producing at peak and you can make it back by spreading production. I suppose it makes sense alright.

Where is the sense in that other than to help with processing capacity in the short term.

got 34000lt of quota between the 2 stages, not a whole pile but better than a kick in the a..e and it a start, least i have a foot in the door

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭6480

case 956 wrote: »
    got 34000lt of quota between the 2 stages, not a whole pile but better than a kick in the a..e and it a start, least i have a foot in the door
    you have a better foot than any man thats milking all his life , we went down with tb in the quota year in the 80s and had to buy our way in little by little at high price
    the problem i have with new entrants getting into dairying is that u all have on average got a lot higher of a sfp of any dairy farmer ever had ,i am 30 years of age have a quota of 65000 gals of which from 1990s when my parents noticed i liked dairying ,45000 has been bought over the years and some of this cost over 2 pounds a gal them years, we have 110 acers and we use to 1 time milk 25 cows and kept 25 sucklers but as we increased our milk quota over 30000 gals we could not apply for any suckler cow payments and had to sell our suckler quota at the time and gradually build our dairy herd up which is not as simple as a suckler enterprise

did you apply again this year pauric mac for the 200000t quota

Advertisement