Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts/feedback on my first build

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

Oh well if it's just a pipe dream, I'll leave you be... :cool:
    • Good quality PSU, but not best value. The Superflower Amazon is a good PSU and considerably cheaper, which will be an advantage to move funds elsewhere.
    • The SSD is a last generation one, Crucial's M4 is better. It's faster and about 9GB bigger. Unfortunately with that motherboard, you wouldn't get the most out of it in terms of speed as there are no 6Gbps ports
    • The DVD drive doesn't burn DVDs. Here's one that does.

With a lower budget like that, I would consider an AMD system instead. If you could spare an extra few euro/distribute funds around, you should have a better motherboard and unleash the fully potential of a modern SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭toadpenguin

Thanks for the advice, I've subbed in the stuff you showed me and upgraded the motherboard to a better ASRock model (still the cheapest brand I could find) which has a 6Gbps port.

Here's the updated system:
    Total build cost: €464.10 + €30 shipping
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W €41.10
    Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5") €93.44
    LiteOn iHAS122-18 schwarz SATA €17.14
    Intel Core i3-2100 Box, LGA1155 €94.05
    FRACTAL DESIGN Gehäuse Core 1000 black €33.13
    8GB-Kit G.Skill RipJaws PC3-8500U CL7 €43.85
    MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SB-Version Englisch €81.22
    ASRock H61M/U3S3 (B3), Sockel 1155, mATX €60.17

I would consider an AMD system but I've heard that the Core i3 handles integrated graphics very well. If I went for AMD would I have to shell out for a dedicated graphics card too?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

AMD's integrated graphics is quite good, their 4250 vs the intel 2000 are close, beating each other under various circumstances.

That board looks a lot better now. The biggest downside is only two RAM slots but it's not a huge issue. You might be better off sticking with intel after all as an AMD board with good graphics will cost €20 more (but will come with more features).

AMD will have the advantage in multi-threaded applications, as you could get a CPU with more cores for that price. The i3 will do better in general tasks but AMD's CPU's can be overclocked to match.

i3 will probably suit your needs with least hassle, while you would AMD if you want to squeeze performance an extra little bit.

If you're not building for a few months, AMD might have released their new processors and prices fluctuate, so your options may be different.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭toadpenguin

Just tried out an AMD build there. Triple core processor and a decent dedicated graphics card for €20 more... not too shabby!

Total build cost: €482.42 + €30 shipping
    AMD Athlon II X3 450 "Boxed" 95W, Sockel AM3 €59.77
    ASUS M4A88TD-M/USB3, AM3, mATX €77.85
    Aerocool QS-200 Schwarz, mATX, ohne Netzteil €32.63
    4GB Kingston ValueRAM PC3-10667U CL9 €18.35
    HIS HD 4670 IceQ DDR3 1024MB Native HDMI Dual-DVI, PCI-Express €60.92
    Crucial M4 64GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5") €93.44
    Super-Flower Amazon 80Plus 450W €41.10
    LiteOn iHAS122-18 schwarz SATA €17.14
    MS Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit SB-Version Englisch €81.22

• Registered Users Posts: 7,180 ✭✭✭Serephucus

Athlon II vs. Sandy Bridge? Bah.

I'd stick with Intel. It's a better architecture, and it's also much more power efficient. (65W TDP vs. 95)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Serephucus wrote: »
    Athlon II vs. Sandy Bridge? Bah.

I'd stick with Intel. It's a better architecture, and it's also much more power efficient. (65W TDP vs. 95)

agreed. I love to recommend the athlon x3 because it is great value for money, but if you're not gaming the onboard 2000 gpu in the i3 would be sufficient and better for future proofing on that socket, and should be a bit quicker in CPU tasks too.

the added 4670 in the amd rig isn't going to make boards.ie look any better :P

OP, if it were my money on your requirements I'd get the Intel. if it was my money and I wanted to game I'd get the AMD.

Advertisement