Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Eircom NTU/master socket help

• 05-08-2011 5:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi I am having problems with my NTU, it is the one with a test socket on the eCU and an ADSL filter built into the CCU which is used in monitored alarm broadband set ups.

It was removed as I was having new skirting boards fitted and I wanted the wires to be behind the new boards instead of surface mounting them.

Since I have put it back on, I am having a few strange issues:

• The phone point on the front of the eCU works but when I fit the CCU, the one on the CCU doesnt. However, the ADSL point on the front of the CCU does as does the alarm which is connected to a punch down connector on the back of the CCU.
    • There are 4 extensions which all come from one cable wired to L1 and L2 on the rear of the CCU. Only 2 of these are working at the moment (2 upstairs phones) and the downstairs extension doesn't work.
    I can't understand how only some extensions would work when they all come from the same line and no wiring elsewhere was touched. Also is there a chance that the phone point on the ccu not working could be part of the same issue as opposed to a simply damaged connection?

If it comes to it, how would I go about getting a new NTU or even a new CCU? As I understand it, up until the eCU everything is the responsibility of eircom and I would need a CCU that fit into the current eCU

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,773 ✭✭✭✭altor

Your main phone line comes into your home into the L1 L2 at the back of the socket. The cable from the alarm is crimped into the front socket, line in line out. That is to and from the alarm system. it is to give it priority over all other phones in the house. All extension phones off this should be connected to the L1 L2 on the same front socket where the alarm is connected to.

If you re-crimp the to and from the alarm it will fix the issue your having plus when finished make sure the monitoring of the alarm system is working.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 181 ✭✭(insert name)

If you re-crimp the to and from the alarm it will fix the issue your having plus when finished make sure the monitoring of the alarm system is working.

The line comes in and is screwed down on the rear plate (the eCU), the alarm is punched down on the back of the front plate (CCU) to an IDC connector and the extension wires are screwed into the l1 and l2 connectors on the front plate (CCU). As far as i know that is how it should be.

What effect would redoing the alarm connection have?

Also, why would only some of the extensions work (there is only one wire connected to the l1 and l2 connector which goes to all the extensions)?

If the front of the socket for the phone is not working then it is likely there is a problem with the crimping of the alarm in and out to the alarm. The reason the broadband is working is the filter splits the line and sends the DSL to the broadband line. This cuts out any interference with the DSL and the phone dialing out. Can you disconnect the extension line from the L1 and L2 on the front of the socket and then test the phones that are working. They should not work if line priority has being given to your alarm system.

altor wrote: »
    If the front of the socket for the phone is not working then it is likely there is a problem with the crimping of the alarm in and out to the alarm. The reason the broadband is working is the filter splits the line and sends the DSL to the broadband line. This cuts out any interference with the DSL and the phone dialing out. Can you disconnect the extension line from the L1 and L2 on the front of the socket and then test the phones that are working. They should not work if line priority has being given to your alarm system.

The alarm connection was a bit loose and I didn't have a punchdown tool so I just sort of pulled it down from both sides and it seemed to make good contact as the panel isn't showing "Line Fault" like it would if the front panel was disconnected. I know that isn't an ideal solution but the idea was that it would do until I got the rest of the phones sorted and if i needed to get a new box I would have needed somebody to punch the alarm wires into the new connector anyway so I left it at that. I'll try get a tool to do that in the next few days though.

You think that fixing the alarm connection will sort the front socket yeah?

What about only half of the other phones not working? I didn't understand your suggestion about disconnecting the L1 and L2 on the front socket and testing the phones - they are definitely all connected to the one line coming out of the box so disconnecting the L1 and L2 would mean that they are plugged into nothing.

Thanks for the tip on the alarm though, I'll post back after I try that and I'll try get some pictures too to give a better idea of how the box is wired.

Does the front phone connection work ?
    If the front connection works then the return from the alarm is working.
    If you don't have a line fault this means the cable going to the alarm is ok but the return may be the problem.
    If the front phone connections works the problem may be a connection between the working phone and a non working phone.
    If the front connection does not work and other phones do then you may have a cable either coming off the main line direct to them or even coming direct from the alarm return to these phones. If you do have an issue with the return line from the alarm strip back the cable a bit and using a screw driver push it into place.
    These are not ruling out an issue with the phone socket itself.

Any problems let us know.

• Advertisement

Still haven't gotten a chance to look at it yet, I'll post back when I do.

Thanks for all your help so far :)

Still haven't gotten a chance to look at it yet, I'll post back when I do.

Thanks for all your help so far :)

Your welcome, hopefully one of the solutions will solve it for you :D

Turns out that the return from the alarm had come lose and I snipped them while I was making the box tidy! I have everything back working now so thanks for your help.

quick question though, which is the best way to join phone wires?
    terminal block, twisting or soldering?

If its phone cable, twist together and put it in a connector block.

Advertisement