Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

wetsuit thickness for kayaking

Options
  • 05-08-2011 5:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone would recommend the mm thickness of a steamer wetsuit to get for kayaking and swimming-I was thinking a 5mm steamer would keep me nice and warm for sea kayaking and swimming-
    any advice?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

bpsod10 wrote: »
    Hi,
    I was wondering if anyone would recommend the mm thickness of a steamer wetsuit to get for kayaking and swimming-I was thinking a 5mm steamer would keep me nice and warm for sea kayaking and swimming-
    any advice?
    Thanks

5mm would be grand in winter but if its warm in summer might be a bit warm for kayaking. Be fine for swimming though! Prob the best overall, 3mm might be a bit too little.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 157 ✭✭pmccormack

Have a look at some of the Tri-suits (Triathlon) they are made slightly differently with thicker Neoprene around the core to help the body float for swimming whilst thinner on the arms and legs so movement is less restricted!!

other than that 3mm would be gran then just add a cag for the winter time!!

Paddy
    www.irishcanoekayak.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 bpsod10

Thanks all, I got a surfing wetsuit of 5mm around core and 3 mm on shoulder so can move in it quite well, and wear a nylon vest inside to reduce shafting. Got this one as can use it for snorkeling too. Thanks all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

I use a 5mm for kayaking and swimming but on a hot day I feel uncomfortable in the kayak and i am forced to go for a dip.

Its not much of a complaint though if it'll keep me warm in the winter.

Advertisement