Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zeiss duralyt

Options
  • 05-08-2011 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭

I was thinking of getting the likes of a nightforce scope for my sako .223 but the more i think about it i reckon i'd be better off saving some weight and buying a 3-12 or 4-16 scope as it will be used 90% of the time for hunting (and the fact that i blew my budget on a few other things:rolleyes:), and i've been looking at the 3-12 duralyt, does anybody here have one or used one, a zeiss for 750, cant be that bad, or would i be better of getting a 6.5-20 conquest as they roughly weigh the same amount or is the glass in the duralyt better than the conquest? Or whats the duralyt lacking to make it cheaper Or am i better off saving and buying a victory or s&b, swaro docter etc
    And does anybody know of bargain 2nd hand scopes like i mentioned above

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

I don't own one but recently had a look through a Zeiss Duralyt and was seriously impressed. I don't know where Zeiss have shaved off cost because the glass is superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭ormondprop

I looked through one myself and liked it, nice fine reticle, but that was during the day in a shop so most scopes look well in them situations, i havent seen an illuminated version yet which would be nice too as only the centre dot lights up, but its about 300 more for it and i'd rarely use it so i reckon if i do get one it would be the non illum version

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

ormondprop wrote: »
    ............. but its about 300 more for it and i'd rarely use it so i reckon if i do get one it would be the non illum version

For the Duralyt with illumianted ret?

The reason i ask is Sean in Stakelums has one and the Father is looking to buy. He told us €750 - €800 for the non illuminated and €900 for the illuminated one.

It was the 3-12 and the clarity was great, fine enough reticle to ensure you can see the target/deer, but not so fine you cannot get onto the deer/target quickly. Seems sturdy, not too heavy. Father is just making up his mind (illuminated or non) then going back down to Sean to order his.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

I was onto paul o halloran and he has one or two in stock for 750 and has no illuminated ones but said he could get it in for me but he didnt know the price off hand but reckoned it was nearly 300 more but he must have been wrong so, i might be down with him tommorow depending if my wages come, stakelums dont have any at the moment but he said he'd have them in during the week if i wanted one, he said 800 for it but didnt give a price for illuminated model, he has a sale on some items at the moment aswell, 4-16 pm11 for 1500 down from 2050 and a docter 3-12x56 illum for 1000 down from 1400

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

I know a guy with one and had a few shots with it and they are a good scope.
    They are more suitable for stalking though and I think you would be better with the conquest with target turrets on your 223.
    You will have more fun with a rangefinder and turrets for longer shots at targets. foxes. etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭FISMA

ormondProp,
    Have you checked out the sighTrons?

I am hearing more and more good things about them.

i'd love a zeiss victory 6-24x56 but my budget wont stretch that far at the moment so the next best thing would be a 6.5-20x50 conquest with something like 43 reticle but they are hard to come by unless you know somebody across the pond and i dont, and i dont want to risk mailing it over incase it doesnt get here
    on the sightron fron i'm still waiting to hear back from a dealer who is to get prices for me

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭zeissman

ormondprop wrote: »
    i'd love a zeiss victory 6-24x56 but my budget wont stretch that far at the moment so the next best thing would be a 6.5-20x50 conquest with something like 43 reticle but they are hard to come by unless you know somebody across the pond and i dont, and i dont want to risk mailing it over incase it doesnt get here
    on the sightron fron i'm still waiting to hear back from a dealer who is to get prices for me

You will have no problems getting a 6.5-20 conquest from www.theopticzone.com.
    They will get the export licence and send it by insured postage.
    I have the zeiss victory 6-24x56 on my 204 and had a 6.5x20 conquest before that.
    I think the conquest is more suitable for hunting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭tfox

The duralyt do not have the same lens coatings as the more expensive Zeiss models thats why they're cheaper.

Same way you can get Zeiss bino's for €800 or €1600 depending on the coatings.

As far as the illuminated goes 2 of my friends bought new illum scopes last year (zeiss and Swar) and both say they never use it. it adds weight and bulk to the scope, aswell as price. Unless you're getting a low power scope that you may use the red dot for driven boar etc I wouldnt bother with it !!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭silverfox1

ormondprop
    i'd say your better off saving for another while and getting the victory if its what you prefer. you'll only regret it later. you didn't hang onto the that leupold long after.

• Advertisement

I was thinking the same myself, its a lot of money though,Ya i couldnt get on with the eye relief on the leup, was grand for targets but when hunting and taking quick shots i just wasnt happy with it, how you finding the schmidt, have you used it much since

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭silverfox1

didnt even mount it yet :(. flat out with work and stuff so hunting is kinda put on the long finger. that is until september though:D

Advertisement