Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What fly for which dropper ?

Options
  • 05-08-2011 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭

Hello all ! decided to go for a long week end fishing on Corrib this September.

I have all the usual wet flies you need from red arse GP to invicta and other bibio and others along with a pile of Daddies if ever i want to dap.

I'm wondering if there is a rule on how to choose where to put your fly on a specific dropper wether it's tail middle or first ...

all my wets are size#12

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,455 Mod ✭✭✭✭coolwings

Put the hairiest fuzziest one on the top.
    Put your favourite hot pattern you're most confident about on the tail/bottom.
    Play games with size, colour and shape with the middle, which is the toughest place for a fly to shine.
    The day the middle one gets two fish before the top or bottom flies score, you need to rethink your strategy.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

BoarHunter wrote: »
    Hello all ! decided to go for a long week end fishing on Corrib this September.

I have all the usual wet flies you need from red arse GP to invicta and other bibio and others along with a pile of Daddies if ever i want to dap.

I'm wondering if there is a rule on how to choose where to put your fly on a specific dropper wether it's tail middle or first ...

all my wets are size#12
    In terms of the leader turning over - heaviest on the point, lightest on the top dropper and intermediate weight on the middle dropper. Keep to this rule and you'll spend less time sorting out tangles and more time fishing.

Seeing as all your flies are size 12 (therefore roughly the same weight) you will need to put the most streamlined fly on the point and the bushiest on the top dropper. So a good team might be something like a Black Pennel on the point, an Invicta on the middle and a Bibio on the top dropper.

It might be worth your while to invest in a few size 14's and probably fewer size 10's. It's always worthwhile varying the size of flies. But err on the small side. It can be daunting to cast tiny size 16's on a piece of water the size of the Corrib but much of the trout's food is around this size.
    Enjoy your trip.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭BoarHunter

the problem is that it is hard to find smaller than #12 I got mine on irishtroutflies and it's the smallest size ....

If you know of a place they sale smaller

What size do ye fish ye Corrib guys ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

the problem is that it is hard to find smaller than #12 I got mine on irishtroutflies and it's the smallest size ....

If you know of a place they sale smaller

What size do ye fish ye Corrib guys ?

I get mine on the essential fly. Have every type of pattern size shape and even tell you all about the fly its self. Great site

Also meant to ask The breaking strain of your cast on Corrib. Would 6 lbs mono be ok ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,220 Mod ✭✭✭✭slowburner

Also meant to ask The breaking strain of your cast on Corrib. Would 6 lbs mono be ok ?
    That's what I generally use - but if the going is tough or, sometimes 4 lbs.

Can't wait to go now :pac:

Enjoy your trip :)

Advertisement