Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

do you lie about date of birth of calves?

• 05-08-2011 8:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭

i register calves the day they are born, neighbour was telling me today he sent off forms for his april born calves that they where born in june:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭defadman

well its an old trick in the book by now,however I never did it and dont intend to!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

what if they had an inspection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

Can somebody kindly tell me the nature of this practice ? Why is it done ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

He will go straight to hell for lying like that, the department might not catch him but the devil will :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭stanflt

He will go straight to hell for lying like that, the department might not catch him but the devil will :D

how can he do that i he is milking-records wont match with icbf and milk recording-or am i being naive

• Advertisement

stanflt wrote: »
    how can he do that i he is milking-records wont match with icbf and milk recording-or am i being naive
    suckler farmer.... am just wondering looking at some pics on this forum do other people do the same.:rolleyes:.. i am always in a rush to get the cards to sell the bull calves etc

stanflt wrote: »
    Even if he were a dairy farmer which he is not it doesn't mean that he milk records ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

whelan1 wrote: »
    what if they had an inspection?

I had a heifer calf that was 5 weeks before I got her tagged and registered because I'd hurt my leg and had to get a neighbour to help catch her. I was in a 'sweat' for the last 2 of those weeks waiting for the wrath of the department to fall on me. I can't imagine he is benefiting much by doing this or maybe there is something we aren't seeing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

suckler farmer.... am just wondering looking at some pics on this forum do other people do the same.:rolleyes:.. i am always in a rush to get the cards to sell the bull calves etc

Ha, was that a dig at me?:p We don't lie about their ages, a couple of days would be the most. Although I know of one man near me that registers calves 3-4 months after they're born...

nope ... i am just wondering is this a normal carry on... people are at risk of losing their sfp by doing this or maybe having bigger animals than joe next door is off better importance to some people... doesnt bother me in the slightest as i have nothing to hide:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭irishh_bob

i register calves the day they are born, neighbour was telling me today he sent off forms for his april born calves that they where born in june:eek:

lies make baby jesus cry

nope ... i am just wondering is this a normal carry on... people are at risk of losing their sfp by doing this or maybe having bigger animals than joe next door is off better importance to some people... doesnt bother me in the slightest as i have nothing to hide:)

Same myself, with the work I'm in, It's ridiculous to try and think that the buyers don't know roughly the age of an animal they're buying. I recall one day when I was working with the vet, we were called into the mart to look at an animal who was registered as a 5 month old, the animal was at least 14-15 months in the vets opinion and wrote a letter to the Dept about her suspicions. Bet that seller got a lovely inspection after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

The other benefit of having the corect date down is, you have a proper record there on the Departments database, that you can access for years to come. It saves you having to keep your own records.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭stanflt

this is my kind of thinking- in the dairy scene everyone quotes 305 day yields-was at virginia show cows giving 16000litres, doesnt mention that she hasnt calved in 4years- the real comparision should be actual creamary deliveries.
    i aim to have actual and 305 day yields very simular-first i need calving interval of 370- actual deliveries cant be altered

the person i was talking to had been in trouble with the dept last year over a cow calving within 7 months of a previous calving, why get yourself in more trouble and draw attention to yourself:rolleyes:

the person i was talking to had been in trouble with the dept last year over a cow calving within 7 months of a previous calving, why get yourself in more trouble and draw attention to yourself:rolleyes:

Immaculate conception:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Western Pomise

This happens a lot in Pedigree breeding....finally Dept are copping on to it, and are doing random checks........lads selling bulls as been 12 to 14 months old when anyone with a clue knows they are at least 4 to 5 mths older.....sad individuals a tit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,551 ✭✭✭keep going

thats the problem over the years i might have been late reg a few calves and backdated them but you have to remember what you did last year.do it all by the book now just find it easier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tora Bora

Women are always lying about their age. What's the problem in a few cattle gettin the benefit of the doubt.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

This happens a lot in Pedigree breeding....finally Dept are copping on to it, and are doing random checks........lads selling bulls as been 12 to 14 months old when anyone with a clue knows they are at least 4 to 5 mths older.....sad individuals a tit.

I've heard of it being done, or at least the accusation of it being done, but with using AI I dunno how you would get away with it.
    The problem as I see it is if you lie once you have some ammount of lying to do to continue to cover it up!
    Our calves are usually registered once a week or so, dob's are always recorded on the calendar, and the paperwork completed from these dates.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Depends on when last years calf was 'registered/born':pac:
    with this 16 month bull thing on the cards a lot of calves will be hiding in the rushes for a few months. So in order to take full advantage of the system, the heifers will be registered on time and the bulls will be ahem...delayed a few days.

Sure horses are all born the one day, what difference does it make, twas a big disadvantage having cattle registered on time 10 yrs ago when dept prix decided to cull everything over 30 months just because some bull showed up in germany with bse

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭weefarmer

Ours are usually within a few days of being born, I could not handle trying to lie about it, and just like it out of the way too!

I know a neighbour that has calves from feb/march not registered, v tempted to report him but he owes me money and would hate to be known locally if my name ever got out, he gets away with it but cause some of his calves from last year are not the size of our 4-5 month olds and to be honest ours are nothing special either!

when we used to show cattle i used to hategoing to the ring with a good animal only to see someone elses animal towering above ours, would put ya right off

Tora Bora wrote: »
    Women are always lying about their age. What's the problem in a few cattle gettin the benefit of the doubt.;)
    Get with the times man. They used to lie about their ages, now they are up front about it with all these 30th, 40th, 50th birthday parties. Before they never aged past 35 and having a party to let everyone know their real age was a definite no no. I guess that gives the cattle no excuse.

when we used to show cattle i used to hategoing to the ring with a good animal only to see someone elses animal towering above ours, would put ya right off

Seen the best judge ever in Cloone last week, he questioned a calf's age (def not a '11 calf) and then sent them out of the ring. The shower then reared up on him and a hilarious battle ensued. The same judge also put out a cow and calf as the cow was clearly a dry cow being show with another calf. :D:D

we showed a bull that went to ai as a calf ptj, he was only a few weeks old and bet the ones that obviously where not the age they where saying , happy days, the judge came back to us a few years later and said even from the young age he could see the potential in the calf, some judges are great

Advertisement