Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star King Headford road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

I went there the other day and loved it. LOVED IT.

It's a nice place first of all. Staff were really sound and it looked really classy inside.

All you can eat: enough said. Food was pretty damn nice. It wasn't anything fantastic but it was good and as an all-you-can-eat that's pretty much what I was after. Agree RE the labelling: it'd have been handy to have that but the mysterious meat that I ladelled onto my plate tasted lovely.
    Not so for the barbecue. Dear god that stuff was amazing. The waitress came over to bring us a sample of what they had, telling us we could head over if we liked it. nice touch and the barbecued lamb skewers were delicious.

Dessert was also class. Freezer full of Walls Ice cream and a chocolate fountain surrounded by marshmallows (chocolate covered marshmallows: nomnomnom)

All in all, I highly reccomend it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

Went to this place a couple of days ago and all I can say is...

Stink.

Cold and oily food. The chocolate cake was rock hard. The fruit had no flavour and overall, just a horrible experience. And only one option for vegetarians. And that didn't even have a sauce of any description. Just stir-fried veg, which was cold.

Definitely will not be going back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

I love this place! The duck starter is so tasty and the BBQ lamb is amazing! Rice and noodles always super fresh and tasty. Some dishes were a bit on the cold side I have to admit, mostly the starters I think but all the mains were hot. Labeling would help but I love picking and trying new stuff that I wouldn't risk ordering a full dish of normally.

Great selection of deserts and the fresh melon and marshmellows and chocolate fountain are unreal!

Finally I have to say the staff are so friendly and go out of their way to help you. Dead sound. They bought us down a selection of meats from the grill/BBQ and told us to get whatever we wanted, were constantly clearing our plates and topping up our drinks. Great service :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

I've never seen opinion on a place to be so divided, seems you'll either love this place or hate it!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Just thinking same thing. Was going to check it out but if they dont have vegetarian options theres no point. Cant see me pigging out for the night on a stir fry.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭moonflower

Went there for dinner today. It was quite nice. We were early for dinner so it was very quiet, so some of the dished were a little on the cold side. The food was a bit hit and miss. The sushi and soup were vile, most of the starters and mains were quite nice and the grilled food was lovely. The chocolate fountain was amazing and the fruit selection was nice.

Other than the sushi and the soup the only thing I was disappointed with was the duck pancakes. The duck wasn't crispy, it was chopped instead of shredded and it was cold. The potstickers and the scallops were my favourites I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I wonder, being a buffet, are some people hitting it when the food is fresh and hot and others later when it is tepid and spingy? Probably best to hit it when it is busy and the kitchen is churning out fresh food to replenish the buffet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Would ye guys believe i have not tried this place yet, on my to do list for the weekend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭GuessWho2009

Was in there again today. I really enjoyed it. Desserts were not is nice today as last week but still lovely. staff very friendly. would recommend they label the food and i find that the ribs and skewers are only warm. they could be hotter but its a bargain. would give it a good 8 out of 10. will be going back

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

BESman wrote: »
    I've never seen opinion on a place to be so divided, seems you'll either love this place or hate it!

I suspect it depends on your previous experiences, and expectations.

Personally, I don't expect to be heading to a "Chinese" that does chocolate fountains and cake any decade soon. The idea is roughly the same as an Irish pub serving seven differenty types of gourmet non-alcoholic grape juice.

So I'm a restaurant snob :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

JustMary wrote: »
    I suspect it depends on your previous experiences, and expectations.

Personally, I don't expect to be heading to a "Chinese" that does chocolate fountains and cake any decade soon. The idea is roughly the same as an Irish pub serving seven differenty types of gourmet non-alcoholic grape juice.

So I'm a restaurant snob :)

Where does a restaurant snob go to in Galway any more?

I have been let down by the old guard too many times of late.
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Unrealistic

leex wrote: »
    ...and the Rendevous a long time before that! :)
    And an even longer time before that is was Bermo's Rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭rh5555

Went there today for dinner and I thought the food was great. Don't expect high-end 5* chinese gourmet food there but all I had (and trust me I ate a lot) tasted great. If you don't like one particular thing there is plenty more to chose from.

Water is free but you have to go to the bartender to get it and he just gets it from the tap so its non-filtered and doesn't taste that great. I wish they would have a filtered water dispenser next to the food but of course they also want to make money of the drinks.

Also food is now labeled and the 1 euro /pint offer is now over unfortunately.
    Ice cream was okish - Its the Tesco value brand which I saw when they restocked it.

It was a great experience overall and I think definitely worth E16 especially as I ate so much. Wide/Stretchy pants highly recommended :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

I have been let down by the old guard too many times of late.

To the kitchen with a good recipe I suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

I thought the place was great with a decent varity, absolutely wedged after it

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Tugboats

Who knew Tesco value branded food would be so popular!

Tugboats wrote: »
    Who knew Tesco value branded food would be so popular!

Have not been there yet but if there using tesco value ice cream and value meat that is just pure tacky and they can count me out.
    I have a feeling this place wont last too long.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭eagle10

Have not been there yet but if there using tesco value ice cream and value meat that is just pure tacky and they can count me out.
    I have a feeling this place wont last too long.

I knew they used tesco icecream and its nice didnt realise they use tesco meat
    Not that it matters really.
    Does it?
    Seems to be getting good crowds with good reports all the.best to them.
    Still a big thumbs up from me:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

I'll ask one of the owners tonight where they buy their meat from, i doubt it's from Tesco really because it would work out really expensive if they bought from there.

I'll ask one of the owners tonight where they buy their meat from, i doubt it's from Tesco really because it would work out really expensive if they bought from there.
    I agree.
    Of course they dont it wouldnt make economic sense.
    Typical of this.country people assuming ridiculous things just to be negative.
    But if they did why would that be "tacky"?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

eagle10 wrote: »
    I agree.
    Of course they dont it wouldnt make economic sense.
    Typical of this.country people assuming ridiculous things just to be negative.
    But if they did why would that be "tacky"?
    The point was that they are using Tesco Value Ice Cream, then someone joked as to how popular tesco value brand food must be, then someone got the wrong end of the stick thinking that all the food is value brand when theres no evidence of it. It wouldn't be great for a restaurant to be using Value brand meat if there is such a thing anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭El_Drago

If this All You Can Eat buffet is anything like the ones that have been propping up all over over Dublin, take it from someone who has worked in a number of them that what's being served is most likely the cheapest and most profitable ingredients that they can get there hands on.

Although I'd love to see these guys do well, if anyone thinks that what's being served is the best that money can buy then you're only kidding yourselves.Give it a couple of months and you will be seeing similar places propping up all over Galway City.

Dam right and i found out who runs the place tonight, runs a few other places as well and lets just say there aint a lot of class in them.

I would love to know have they been visited by food inspectors yet, must put in a call to make sure they make a visit to them.
    Of course if everything is above board they have nothing to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭whineflu

Kai !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Lads, this is a chinese serving chocolate cake, of course it's pure tacky
    but it sounds like its what many of you want.

Different strokes ....

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭Placebo Effect

I would love to know have they been visited by food inspectors yet, must put in a call to make sure they make a visit to them.

Jaysus, you're a right barrel of laughs I'd imagine ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,023 ✭✭✭hairyfairy00

Jaysus, you're a right barrel of laughs I'd imagine ...

Of course they've been visited by the inspector! No restaurant can open without a certificate of hygiene, they also get random spot checks done too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

Man, there's no pleasing some people.

Bitter bitter bitter...

• Advertisement

This thread was good for a while people were giving their opinion on the place, food and service it was enjoyable to see what different people taught of this.place.

Then you had people that had not been there dragging the place down, speculating were they bought the meat and threatening them with health inspectors.

Grow up!
    Btw if they were using "tesco value" meat im sure it would be a damn sight more expensive than meat that any other restaurant is using.

It is what it is.
    Good value, nice food, loads of selection and nice staff.

If your standards are that high Off to the white gables or park house with ye
    And if your budget cant stretch to that you could always get some tesco value rashers and bread and have a sandwich

Advertisement