Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Star King Headford road

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

Sounds good! Will try that. I love Indian food.

I don't eat that much myself, but I have two teenage sons :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Sounds good! Will try that. I love Indian food.

I don't eat that much myself, but I have two teenage sons :eek:

Like I said, the selection is limited, but they had chicken tikka malasa, chicken korma, a lamb curry, and a vegetarian option and loads of pilau rice. Great for quick* lunch in town on a Sunday

*depending on hunger and/or speed of eating

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

biko wrote: »
    Was actually there today, was good value at 8.95 I think.
    Sushi was bland but the chicken and noodle dishes was good. Didn't have dessert but there was a chocolate fountain.
    Drinks are extra but you can get water free.

is there any restaurant in Galway that actually charges for water?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 damodai

Went to the Star King last night , food was fine plenty of choice . Will be going back again . Chocolate fountain for the win :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

Tulsi do all you can eat?
    Wow. Gonna try that out. Been there for evening meals and it was outstanding.

Went to Star King again a few weeks ago and waddled out feeling fat and happy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭christinab89

was there lastnight for the first time ever... amazing place to go and try new things!!! deff will be going back again!! its gorgeous

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Damn, now I will have to go there for lunch :D

Just back, yummy as ever.
    €9.99 for lunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭listenup

Went there last night for first time didn't like it one bit staff unhelpful food almost cold everything tasted the same and the wine served PAID FOR SEPARATELY although priced well at 4.50 was not a standard wine measure considerably small plus the air con was on and set to cold considering it was 6 degrees last night
    The desert was some stale AlDi style strawberry sponge disguised with cream i give it a well deserved hairy balls out of 10

Yeah. It seems that when it's bad, it's very very bad. I've had some pretty crap food in Star King at times. Food being cold or them running out of the best stuff or whatever.

I find it very much depends on what time you go in. If you're there for close to 1pm for the lunch time rush or 6pm for the change over to dinner prices, I've found the food to be vastly superior. Hot, fresh and plentiful. Did you not experience the chocolate fountain, ice cream or jelly for dessert? Cause that's what I'm talkin' bout when I'm looking to satisfy my sweet tooth. Giggity!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 mikeyek4

I was there again last week with my girlfriend ,for the 9th time since opening, food was cold & dry ,, i am guessing it could have possibly being some of the left over`s from the day before, as we were there at around 1.30pm:(
    I complained and the owner said that they forgot to turn on the heating system on one part of the buffet, i was saying that it was not good enough as everytime i go there and there always seems to be an issue with cold food, and he just stands there speachless and looks at me like i have four heads,,
    we walked out in disgust and said to our-selfs we will never ruturn, no refund offered even though we did not even eat half a plate of food each = too many f*ck up`s on star-kings behalf
    staff/waiters seem to be un-happy at there job also with lack of intrest:confused:

I was told yesterday by a good friend about a couple of cases in the galway about people attending a&e & local surgeries with food poisioning problems from starking galway ,, info from a reliable source too..

rant over :confused:

now for the good news :)

I was in <snip> in tuam co.galway ,,
    food was superb, hot ,,tasty ,,fresh, and up to standard,, staff were very helpful and polite ,they even kept re-filling glasses of wine and water at no extra charge for us

check it out <snip>
    definately worth a try ,, we will be going there soon again & you will soon forget about starking one you go to this place in tuam and notice the difference

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

mikeyek4 wrote: »
    I was told yesterday by a good friend about a couple of cases in the galway about people attending a&e & local surgeries with food poisioning problems from starking galway ,, info from a reliable source too..

I call shenanigans....

food was superb, hot ,,tasty ,,fresh, and up to standard,, staff were very helpful and polite ,they even kept re-filling glasses of wine and water at no extra charge for us

check it out <snip>
    definately worth a try ,, we will be going there soon again & you will soon forget about starking one you go to this place in tuam and notice the difference

I call shill....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,478 ✭✭✭padi89

I was there again last week with my girlfriend ,for the 9th time since opening .........

everytime i go there and there always seems to be an issue with cold food

we walked out in disgust and said to our-selfs we will never ruturn

LOL you'll be back.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

I was there again last week with my girlfriend ,for the 9th time since opening, food was cold & dry ,, i am guessing it could have possibly being some of the left over`s from the day before, as we were there at around 1.30pm:(
    I complained and the owner said that they forgot to turn on the heating system on one part of the buffet, i was saying that it was not good enough as everytime i go there and there always seems to be an issue with cold food, and he just stands there speachless and looks at me like i have four heads,,
    we walked out in disgust and said to our-selfs we will never ruturn, no refund offered even though we did not even eat half a plate of food each = too many f*ck up`s on star-kings behalf
    staff/waiters seem to be un-happy at there job also with lack of intrest:confused:

check it out <snip>
    You have gone 9 times, each time something has been bad and yet you still go back?? Yes of course you do.:rolleyes:

mikeyek4 banned for trying to trash one place and boost another place, probably his own.
    I don't take kindly to people trying to smear local businesses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Finally had a chance to try this place last Friday. There around 1pm, pretty quiet.

The good:
    Like how you just pay up front making getting back to work quickly very simple.
    Decor nice and simple
    Fried noodles with soy sauce (near the sushi bar) were awesome
    Little white dumplings; could have had 10 of em
    beef black bean tender and tasty
    battered sweet and sour chicken perfectly good
    pork belly; surprisingly nice and not too fatty

The bad:
    Stragest thing to me was there was no glasses and pitchers of water out.
    Chicken satay and spring roll was tepid, but still not bad
    Fresh sushi brought out (good), but way too much wasabi (Japanese horseradish)

The real downside was I was there catching up with friends so we did way more talking than eating. In fact, as no one went back for seconds I actually left hungry. Must return with some hungry friends who aren't too shy to pig out.

In summary, for as long as this thread is I don't think I'd be a convert as I already have chinese often enough. It's just reasonably good chinese but not better than our regular takeaway. I think the draw must be the all you can eat aspect. So make sure you go hungry and aren't too shy to get seconds.

My main gripe is that I love fresh sushi and the sushi in SK is made in the morning and sits there in the fridge all day so when I have some in the afternoon it's very bland and not very tasty.
    Sushi should always be made to order.

The other food is yummy but as said, you probably will get the same or better from your local.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

newkie wrote: »
    Finally had a chance to try this place last Friday. There around 1pm, pretty quiet.

The good:
    Like how you just pay up front making getting back to work quickly very simple.
    Decor nice and simple
    Fried noodles with soy sauce (near the sushi bar) were awesome
    Little white dumplings; could have had 10 of em
    beef black bean tender and tasty
    battered sweet and sour chicken perfectly good
    pork belly; surprisingly nice and not too fatty

The bad:
    Stragest thing to me was there was no glasses and pitchers of water out.
    Chicken satay and spring roll was tepid, but still not bad
    Fresh sushi brought out (good), but way too much wasabi (Japanese horseradish)

Actually totally agree (especially about the belly), one thing to add though, the ribs are totally disappointing, the sauce on them just is too sweet for my liking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭200yrolecrank

I was told from a very wise ole owl that the food is loaded with msg.
    I no the boat is out on the negative effects of msg but i really dislike Chinese food that uses msg.
    I actually would like to try it but the missis is adamant against it as her colleague is Chinese and avoids the place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,390 ✭✭✭Stench Blossoms

I no the boat is out on the negative effects of msg but i really dislike Chinese food that uses msg.
    I actually would like to try it but the missis is adamant against it as her colleague is Chinese and avoids the place.

Em...as far as I knew the majority of chinese restaurants/takeaways use this and there is only a select few who don't. The ones that don't usually advertise it as a selling point.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭ladhrann

As a matter of interest then does anyone know which Chinese or other restaurants do not use MSG then?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 140 ✭✭200yrolecrank

From what I am told The Asian Tea house,Thai garden and Danang noodles don`t use msg.I am aware that a lot of Chinese takeaways use msg but the star king is supposed to load the food with it why i am told to avoid it and not any other Chinese.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭inisboffin

Pretty sure King Ding in Rahoon don't use MSG, but not 100%

The Nut House (when it was Master Lee's anyway) didn't but it may now after it has reopened.

Taytos usen't have MSG but now they do.

Big mad headache is what I get if the food is loaded with the stuff.

From what I am told The Asian Tea house,Thai garden and Danang noodles don`t use msg.I am aware that a lot of Chinese takeaways use msg but the star king is supposed to load the food with it why i am told to avoid it and not any other Chinese.

So does many restaurants but you make it sound like an allegation.
    I don't like it when people post allegations in this forum.
    So I ask you to provide a proper source for this claim or withdraw it.

Btw, MSG has been used safely for more than 100 years to season food.
    Let's keep this thread on Star King. MSG itself can be discussed in Food forum.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Any recent visits here?
    Have some young people with massive appetites coming over next week, considering going for the first time.

snubbleste wrote: »
    Any recent visits here?
    Have some young people with massive appetites coming over next week, considering going for the first time.

Yep. About 2 weeks ago. Place is still absolutely amazing. Just be careful about what time you go, to maximise chances of fresh food ie; those goddamn delicious duck pancakes which keep running out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭dmcg90

Yep. About 2 weeks ago. Place is still absolutely amazing. Just be careful about what time you go, to maximise chances of fresh food ie; those goddamn delicious duck pancakes which keep running out.

Indeed, it is all in the timing.

Also make a bee-line for the pork belly... mmm belly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,371 ✭✭✭Fuinseog

was there a few months back. the sign said one price but I found out they charge more on a sunday. was not amused with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭GastroBoy

biko wrote: »
    Let's keep this thread on Star King. MSG itself can be discussed in Food forum.

But if we are discussing the restaurant, then surely the food has to be discussed also. And whats in the food can be extremely important to people who suffer from food allergies, MSG intolerance is one of those allergies and I for one am glad to have this information as I know several people who have this allergy.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 204 ✭✭GuessWho2009

was in there for luch last week, its average but they took down the signs of what everything is so if ur picky about trying new things ya have to ask staff when there free

Advertisement