Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Compact Hatchback Automatic -recommendations

Options
  • 05-08-2011 9:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi,

In a near future I would like to buy a compact car with an automatic gearbox.

Requirements: Hatchback, 5Door, Engine max. 1.8 petrol; 2003 - onwards

I was thinking about Focus 1.6, Astra 1.6.

Do you guys have any experience with automatic transmissions in these?

I believe Ford only introduced 6-speed Powershift auto in 2008 face lifted model and before that it was the old 4-speed automatic. Not sure about the Easytronic in Astra.

I read some positive opinions on DSG boxes on VAG cars, but not many of these within my price limit.

Are there any other cars that you would recommend?

I plan to spend around €6000

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,449 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

DSG is epic but a potential ballache if it goes wrong

If you're not pushed on extras, a corolla 1.6 auto is actually a good car to drive, no fancy tiptronic, just an old fashioned 4 speed box with an overdrive. The 1.6 vvti does a great job hauling it about and they're bulletproof

Only irish spec in auto is basic terra spec, but maybe uk models have more gear.
    That generation corolla is actually decent to drive.

The mmt diesel auto is another story. Best avoided.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

ehhh

Alfa 147? Should easily pick up a decent one matching your requirements for 6k!

What could possibly go wrong :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭flutered

a w201, bomb proof, costs about 500 lids, the last of the over engineered mercs, power comfort and trouble free.

Unlikely to be under 1.8
    Unlikely to be newer than 2003
    Unlikely to be a 5 door hatchback

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

ottostreet wrote: »
    ehhh

Alfa 147? Should easily pick up a decent one matching your requirements for 6k!

Wouldnt that be a selespeed? Where's my bargepole...;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭ottostreet

EPM wrote: »
    Wouldnt that be a selespeed? Where's my bargepole...;)

There is a Selespeed, dunno about true auto, I would have assumed there would be though! I withdraw my suggestion if not!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 drink_milk

I was looking at corollas too, but as you said, majority of them will be terra spec with almost nothing on them... Focus auto - most of these LX version, but sometimes you can get air-con at least :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,684 ✭✭✭flutered

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Ah would you stop! Maybe he can pick up a Delorean and go back in time on the way to buying the Merc. OP is looking for a modern auto with a possibly a dual clutch gearbox and your posting a 30 year old merc!!
    they were making them in 1991 so they are not 30 years old, perhaps he could change his mind on the year, btw have you ever had the pleasure of owning one ?, how come when a motor is over so many years old it is considered obselete in some circles.

How about a Honda Civic? Or if you stretch to a 2 litre an Accord?

• Advertisement

The w201 was only launched 29 years ago. How dare anyone suggest its not modern or relevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Ghost Estate

Nissan Micra automatic

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

Audi A3

You could probably batter the price due to petrol engine size.

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Audi/A3/201113201818500/advert?channel=CARS

All that's left is for someone to suggest the op gets a manual car

colm_mcm wrote: »
    All that's left is for someone to suggest the op gets a manual octavia

FYP

• Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Majority of stuff like this in this country will be basic enough as compact autos are not popular here. I'd also be aware if looking for signs of abuse as there is a high chance that it was a rental car at some stage of it's life.

These might be worth a look at:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201128203370101

http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201127203224542

Higher spec Jap import here but crazy money too considering the age:
    http://www.driving.ie/usedcars/index.cfm?fuseaction=car&carID=201129203500868

• Registered Users Posts: 44 drink_milk

I agree - crazy money for corollas or maybe dealers are dreamers ;)

Thanks guys for your suggestions. Please keep them coming.

Advertisement