Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

facebook photos

• 05-08-2011 9:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭

just been browsing some online sites looking at prices for printing and i found this ...

'We are delighted to announce that you can now print your Facebook photos and your friend’s photos :eek: online and pick up from any Fujipix.ie store in Ireland or have your Facebook photos delivered to you!'

whats the story!? i know lots of people have issues with photos on facebook, ive had a photo used without permission, but id like to think that a friend of mine would tell me if they are going to print my snaps! i think im going to start deleting a few 'friends'.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,584 ✭✭✭PCPhoto

once you upload to facebook you give facebook the copyright - so its not your image anymore, not a whole lot you can do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

It's just facebook. It's the same if you use a photo you are in, from somebody else's album as your profile picture....it's not really your image to use and you've probably done it in the past without asking your friends permission?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭joepenguin

PCPhoto wrote: »
    once you upload to facebook you give facebook the copyright - so its not your image anymore, not a whole lot you can do.

I let a friend upload a non watermark shot of a game I was at (just had my camera as i was off a plane, wasnt covering it), next thing i know its in the star! Was gonna get all up in their grill about it but hey, lesson learned. Shouldnt it be really low res if they take it from fb? it was about 1/3rd of a page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Any picts I upload to facebook are not quality enough to print. Long side of 350px at 96ppi. It would be difficult to get a 6x4 from that.

And Facebook doesn't own the copyright when you upload images, you simply grant them license for certain things.

Mind you, I watermark my images too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭stcstc

you would be surprised how decent a print you can get for silly small images

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭kfish2oo2

Facebook owns the image you upload and can use it for whatever purpose they see fit, including profit, as per their user agreement. They do not have to ask you permission nor do they owe you any royalties if they do use it for profit. They do not, however, have any rights whatsoever to the original - you still own that. They can use the low-res image you uploaded but you can still use the high res original for whatever you want. Its a good idea to either watermark your facebook photos or make sure that they're resolution is low enough not to be printable or otherwise useful.

All online storage requires that the company hosting the content "owns" it in a legal sense to avoid issues. Its a bit complicated, but most companies that host your content will take "ownership" but pledge not to use it for profit or without your permission. Technically, they own whats on their servers, but if they say in their user agreement that the user retains IP or that the content will never be used by the organization for anything other than storage for the user, then you have every right to sue them for breach of contract if they do use it. Almost all online storage solutions have such agreements in their policies, and so most are fine - do make sure to read the use agreement thoroughly though. Facebook, notably, does not and by uploading an image to their servers you surrender all rights to that particular file (not, as outlined above, to the original though).

Moral of the story - facebook sucks and we're all fools for giving them our information, because everything on our profiles (including images) can and will be sold by facebook to advertisers or anyone else with enough cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

On this copyright issue regarding facebook suppose you email your friend a picture that you took. They put it of facebook. Lets say facebook sells that image (highly unlightly I hope). What has the photographer to get?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Promac

Facebook doesn't own anything you upload. You grant them a license to use anything you store on their servers but that disappears if you delete the content or your account.

https://www.facebook.com/terms.php
    For content that is covered by intellectual property rights, like photos and videos (IP content), you specifically give us the following permission, subject to your privacy and application settings: you grant us a non-exclusive, transferable, sub-licensable, royalty-free, worldwide license to use any IP content that you post on or in connection with Facebook (IP License). This IP License ends when you delete your IP content or your account unless your content has been shared with others, and they have not deleted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 274 ✭✭kfish2oo2

You are correct, Promac.

Perhaps "own" was the wrong word here, but its a simplification that most people understand more easily than talk of licenses. Regardless, you grant Facebook license to the image you upload and nothing more - they can't contact you and demand a high res copy of an image in your albums, for example.

If you read the T&Cs of most online storage solutions (like Dropbox) the legal jargon they use often references ownership - and thats a necessity in that field due to the legal issues.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 616 ✭✭✭pearljamfan

to be honest im more outraged that fuji is taking advantage of this for their own good.
    i dont really have a big issue with facebook , im sure weve all entered photo comps at some stage where u give over all rights etc, i watermark my pics now on my photo page, but i dont watermark the ones on my private facebook, i use it so my family can keep in touch with me and my son.

its a shame because i have got alot of work through social networking on facebook.

• Advertisement
Advertisement