Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ideas for improving Kilkenny

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭Threadhead

Does anyone else find it terribly depressing that when someone starts up one of these threads that Tesco invariably gets dragged into it?

The entire country is a rip off and Tesco isn't going to do a whole lot to change that. Tesco lovers, that's just my opinion.

I think Kilkenny is great. But:

1. God damn, we need a third level institute. And how. In fact, it alone would solve a lot of problems.

2. By Irish standards, our scum level is off the charts. The amount of junkies and scumbags around town needs to be clamped down on. During the Arts Festival when the town looked lovely and people were enjoying the hell out of it, it was really disheartening to see Stumpy McGee wheeling around, shouting at people and generally being a nuisance. They have no respect for the city centre and the guards should make a special effort to get them out of it. They're doing a bang up job of moving beggars along of late, they should extend it to junkies and scum.

3. A proper museum would definitely be needed. And along those lines, a strong representation of our proud hurling tradition.

4. Revitalise Parliament Street, socially. It used to be a real hub of activity. I don't know what can be done (and bringing back street drinking isn't going to solve it) but there's a few dead pubs, shops and the Watergate isn't at its peak at the moment. It's a lovely part of town and could really do with a kick.

5. Kilkenny needs a decent 80 - 100 seater theatre/comedy/cinema venue/club. We're well catered for on the music front but it would be nice to see somewhere else that could function for different events and as a smaller scale after hours club perhaps (Langtons/Set/Morrisons isn't the best spread of choice). An arts centre (Waterford, Carlow and Portlaoise have quality ones) would really help this, or even if the brewery were to sell their completely useless car park on Parliament Street to the Watergate for a decent price and allow the much desired extension to take place.

Other than those quibbles, Kilkenny is a top auld spot in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

agree with you on the Tesco front - cannot understand the fascination myself - was in a local coffee shop last week and an english woman with her kids asked "where is the Tesco(not is there one??) anyway..I butted in and told her its in Carlow - instead of saying "..oh Carlow...what else is there in KK.." she asked how to get to it in Carlow...long way to go for tecso..
    anyway on the venue front..i tihnk KK is well supplied, the Set is a great venue and gets well used, I dont think another arts/theatre venue would survive here, theres not enough population, the Hole in the Wall is becoming a good little venue, long may it last...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,313 ✭✭✭fabbydabby

3. A proper museum would definitely be needed. And along those lines, a strong representation of our proud hurling tradition.
    There's already a hurling museum about 15 miles out the back arse of nowhere past Tullaroan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

fabbydabby wrote: »
    There's already a hurling museum about 15 miles out the back arse of nowhere past Tullaroan
    I was just about to post that.

I believe Threadhead you first proposal would be most positive development and would have great influence on the your ideas. My personal bugbear is the own-goal of two way traffic on highstreet.

For what it's worth, I think demographics are affecting the pub scene now. More coffee culture now which is actually my speed. One pint after 10 O'clock and I'm falling asleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 petulko

@petulko, another go at the travelling community and you're banned.

Why? You must be one of them so!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27 petulko

To mr <snip> aka captain havoc lol, this a free country and i can say whatever i want! And if you want to ban anyone, you should ban yourself first and get of the daiting sites and computer, find yourself girlfriend and get a life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

petulko wrote: »
    Why? You must be one of them so!!!!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

To mr <snip> aka captain havoc lol, this a free country and i can say whatever i want! And if you want to ban anyone, you should ban yourself first and get of the daiting sites and computer, find yourself girlfriend and get a life.

Says the fella hiding behind a username on Boards.ie dishing out abuse! <br />

Internet-Warrior-500x400.jpg
    Look familiar?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Well it isn't a free website, you are the weakest link - goodbye.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Good riddance! Freedom isn't free, we're all responsible for it.

• Advertisement

Getting rid of him improved Kilkenny, so this thread is already a success.

Merry everyone!

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Rantan

.....shame he's gone...he had so much to offer.......!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭PaulKK

catbear wrote: »
    I was just about to post that.
    I believe Threadhead you first proposal would be most positive development and would have great influence on the your ideas. My personal bugbear is the own-goal of two way traffic on highstreet.
    I really didn't see the advantage of one way traffic on high street. It just forced more traffic onto Bateman quay, which is brutal at the junction with Rose Inn St at the best of times.

I also don't get the whole Tesco thing.. who cares, its a supermarket and we are already have plenty of those!

I agree with the whole 3rd level thing, students really give a city a lift during the winter months economically, you can see the difference in a Saturday night during college terms and the Summer months, its much busier during the Summer. Also it would be great for attracting industry and new businesses to hire graduates and cater for student needs.

Everyone knows when business locate somewhere, they look at the pool of skilled workers they can choose from and access to an airport, and with the motorway Dublin is not too far for people coming in on transatlantic and other international flights.

I heard a rumour that originally the college in Carlow was originally offered to Kilkenny but the council refused it? Can anyone confirm if thats true?

I don't quite see as much of this "scum" thing that others mention either. Sure there's you're handful of run of the mill scangerey types, but it doesn't seem too prevelant. Not anything like I see in Carlow anyway! Maybe I'm around at the wrong times :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭TrustedApple

PaulKK wrote: »
    I really didn't see the advantage of one way traffic on high street. It just forced more traffic onto Bateman quay, which is brutal at the junction with Rose Inn St at the best of times.

I also don't get the whole Tesco thing.. who cares, its a supermarket and we are already have plenty of those!

I agree with the whole 3rd level thing, students really give a city a lift during the winter months economically, you can see the difference in a Saturday night during college terms and the Summer months, its much busier during the Summer. Also it would be great for attracting industry and new businesses to hire graduates and cater for student needs.

Everyone knows when business locate somewhere, they look at the pool of skilled workers they can choose from and access to an airport, and with the motorway Dublin is not too far for people coming in on transatlantic and other international flights.

I heard a rumour that originally the college in Carlow was originally offered to Kilkenny but the council refused it? Can anyone confirm if thats true?

I don't quite see as much of this "scum" thing that others mention either. Sure there's you're handful of run of the mill scangerey types, but it doesn't seem too prevelant. Not anything like I see in Carlow anyway! Maybe I'm around at the wrong times :)

I find kilkenny very bad for scum i work in john st and there is lot you will think twice about passing them

Late at night if we dont close the door you will get drinking scum in i have been nearly hit by a good few of them trying to trow them out my bass has dealed with the same

I think the one way in the one way on the high st was great you can cross the road for a change

Also the one way on john worked really will but some of the traders just gave out and out about it

One thing the need to fix is the crossing in front of biddys I have been nearly knocked down there so many times because you do not know its a crossing will they not paint in the zebra in and get stonger lights so that you can see the crossing

There is never going to be a 3rd LV in kilkenny because your 30 mins from waterford and carlow so what will be the point on wasting more money on it or it will end up like TIPP IT just give the money to WIT

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Id like to see the Greens Bridge area done up a bit. Looks dull and ugly imo.

I'd love to see parking tickets given on those yellow lines, one day I will crash into some numpty who's parked that wee bit too close to the corner.

Late at night if we dont close the door you will get drinking scum in i have been nearly hit by a good few of them trying to trow them out my bass has dealed with the same
    You can't compare people who are scuttered at night with normal behaviour.
    Whats to say they are locals anyway, could be people away for weekends etc.
    I think the one way in the one way on the high st was great you can cross the road for a change
    I never have any trouble crossing High Street, there are plenty of pedestrian crossings and the traffic is generally slow moving anyway so its easy to stroll across. I really can't grasp what the big deal about the two way traffic is.
    Also the one way on john worked really will but some of the traders just gave out and out about it
    I disagree, it was a pain in the backside having John Street one way, its plenty wide enough for two way traffic.
    One thing the need to fix is the crossing in front of biddys I have been nearly knocked down there so many times because you do not know its a crossing will they not paint in the zebra in and get stonger lights so that you can see the crossing
    I'll agree with you there, always take an extra bit of care driving near there because its hard to spot that one.
    There is never going to be a 3rd LV in kilkenny because your 30 mins from waterford and carlow so what will be the point on wasting more money on it or it will end up like TIPP IT just give the money to WIT
    So you are 30 mins from Waterford and Carlow, great!!

What about the cities that have multiple 3rd level institutions? Cork, Limerick, Galway, Dublin?

Just because there are facilities 30 mins away does not mean one would not prosper in Kilkenny, bringing with the the social and economical advantages that come with it. If it was properly thought out and managed, and offered decent courses, people will travel to study in a place with a good reputation and good facilities.

PaulKK, I notice when you say you have no problem with high street that you're basing it on your own ability to navigate it. Just take time to observe people trying to pass each other on the narrow parts. It may not affect your mobility now but later in life it may do. The path at the bottom of James street is the worst and I cringe when I see mothers with buggys trying to pass each other while confined by cars. It's simply not good enough. Most people have more room in their hall ways.

Improved consumer mobility would be a general boon for business but retailers haven't stated if business improved after the two-way was reestablished.

catbear wrote: »
    PaulKK, I notice when you say you have no problem with high street that you're basing it on your own ability to navigate it. Just take time to observe people trying to pass each other on the narrow parts. It may not affect your mobility now but later in life it may do. The path at the bottom of James street is the worst and I cringe when I see mothers with buggys trying to pass each other while confined by cars. It's simply not good enough. Most people have more room in their hall ways.

Improved consumer mobility would be a general boon for business but retailers haven't stated if business improved after the two-way was reestablished.

I understand where you are coming from, I too have seen the "buggy struggle" around the metropole but in fairness that is the only very narrow section of the path on high street. When the traffic was one way you still shouldn't of been walking on the road so it doesn't make any difference - you still need to use the footpath.

In fairness most areas around town aren't very buggy friendly in general, beggars lane, the butterslip, even the back entrance to Dunnes.

I would be very very surprised if the one or two way traffic had any bearing on high street business to be honest, if they were that convinced that it would improve business they should of pedestrianised it altogether.

If you make it one way you can widen the path, it wasn't done last time as it was only a trial.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭pegasus1

What about getting rid of cars on high st. altogether except for delivery times, with just commercial traffic allowed then.
    But I suppose that would need the bridge at the brewry and ring road completed all the way round anyhow agree with putting back the oneway system including roseinn and john st. and widening the paths on all..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

They should ban people standing outside pubs having a fag and blocking the path for pedestrians,especialy outside Lanagans on Rose inn Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Kilkenny is known throughout Ireland as a drinking town, there's no man can drink like a Kilkenny man, maybe some lobbying to increase the opening hours and have larger clubs to cater for more people. Trade on the reputation of drinking and a good time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

it would be great if they put a footpath on the ringroad from the watershed to the callan road roundabout i walk up that way towards the river with my dogs and would like to bring my kids up that way on their bikes while im out and about i heard that kkcoco were gonna put a footpath there...does anyone know if there is any truth to it?

Look I know I am always bangin on about this but I actually am actually going to actually fking run over an actual pedestrian on the Kells road one of these days. Another trio of would be roadkill there on Friday evening, missed by maybe a wing mirrors width.

A path on that would be just dandy.

I know that night-walking in dark clothes on busy roads which don't have no footpaths is a fantastic way to punch in a few hours on a winter's evening but really, just think of the damage even a small child or dog would do to my car.

Downright inconsiderate is what it is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭S28382

fabbydabby wrote: »
    Look I know I am always bangin on about this but I actually am actually going to actually fking run over an actual pedestrian on the Kells road one of these days. Another trio of would be roadkill there on Friday evening, missed by maybe a wing mirrors width.

A path on that would be just dandy.

I know that night-walking in dark clothes on busy roads which don't have no footpaths is a fantastic way to punch in a few hours on a winter's evening but really, just think of the damage even a small child or dog would do to my car.

Downright inconsiderate is what it is.

the kells road is a lethal place to walk day or night

Advertisement