Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jeffrey Power Memorial tournament

• 05-08-2011 10:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭

Just a reminder to let folk know it is on tomorrow at Portland Park (Summerville Rover's pitch) in Ballinacurra Gardens and Ray Houghton will be attending at roughly 15:00.

Jeff died on his way to work in a car accident last year, along with a friend of his, Paul Considine.

All funds raised will be going to the Share A Dream foundation. Maybe if folk want to see some good 7 a side games or see a famous ex player, they could pop by and any donations given to the Memorial event will go to the afore mentioned charity.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

I knew Jeff well, he was a good family friend - So I'll most likely be there! Its only at the end of my road too :)

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

What clubs have put teams in for tomorrow?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I knew Jeff well, he was a good family friend - So I'll most likely be there! Its only at the end of my road too :)

Makes you a Portland Avenue guy/gal if the pitch is at the end of your road.:D

Did not know him well to be honest, but my mother who lives on the main road knows the family very well and she spoke very well of Jeff.

What clubs have put teams in for tomorrow?

Don't have the list to hand, but the target was for 32 teams who would all pay €60 per team to enter the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Mrmoe

Any chance to enter a team late? Any more details?

• Advertisement

Mrmoe wrote: »
    Any chance to enter a team late? Any more details?

Was down there briefly this morning and there were already decent numbers in the area. Never checked if a late team or two could be entered at this late stage but you could contact Mark Blake on 087 9050577 for details if you like. It is 7 a side with three subs and costs €60 to enter a team if there is a slot. The event will run from 10:00this morning until about 18:00 this evening.

Kess73 wrote: »
    Makes you a Portland Avenue guy/gal if the pitch is at the end of your road.:D

Did not know him well to be honest, but my mother who lives on the main road knows the family very well and she spoke very well of Jeff.

I'm a guy! :mad: And yep, live about half way up the one way :)

I'm a guy! :mad: And yep, live about half way up the one way :)

Makes you either in your 30's and with a surname starting in either M, M or K, or you are a younger guy in late teen/early 20's and I cannot remember your surname but you leave alongside on of the M surnames.

Actually I know you are defo not one of those letters as he posts on Boards as well under a different name and did not know Jeff well.

Not a lot of guys in their 20's or 30's on that street :D Unless there are a few
    living in the cul de sac.

Surname begins with K, and I do live next to an M, which is an elderly couple :P I'm at the ramps there :P And you are right with the Late teens :P (This is getting creeeeeppppyyyy.. :P)

Surname begins with K, and I do live next to an M, which is an elderly couple :P I'm at the ramps there :P And you are right with the Late teens :P (This is getting creeeeeppppyyyy.. :P)

Know you to see then, but don't know you to talk to. I used to own a house near my mother's house on the main road before I bought one in Dooradoyle and have a few very good friends in BG, so would pass your house a few times a week. Think my mother used to know the folk who lived in your house before you as my mother was originally from the area before we moved to Liverpool when I was a baby.

I'm a bit easy to spot if I am on foot. I am tall, and look like I work out a lot (which I do :p), have a scouse twang to my accent and have a number of tats on my upper arms/shoulders.

Luckily for me I normally drive in or wear a long sleeved shirt.:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Get a room you two :D

Ahhh I know you too, and your sisters! This is creepy alright!! :p

Know you to see then, but don't know you to talk to. I used to own a house near my mother's house on the main road before I bought one in Dooradoyle and have a few very good friends in BG, so would pass your house a few times a week. Think my mother used to know the folk who lived in your house before you as my mother was originally from the area before we moved to Liverpool when I was a baby.

I'm a bit easy to spot if I am on foot. I am tall, and look like I work out a lot (which I do :p), have a scouse twang to my accent and have a number of tats on my upper arms/shoulders.

Luckily for me I normally drive in or wear a long sleeved shirt.:D

Apparently she was a nut!! :D:D

Drop in someday for a tea ;)
    shaaane wrote: »
    Ahhh I know you too, and your sisters! This is creepy alright!! :p

Yes, yes it is! Funny thing is.. I don't know who you are for the life of me.. (Although I proably do! But still! :P)

Yes, yes it is! Funny thing is.. I don't know who you are for the life of me.. (Although I proably do! But still! :P)

Oh you do, don't worry. How is the tournament going or were you up there? Couldn't make it today.

Oh you do, don't worry. How is the tournament going or were you up there? Couldn't make it today.
    Working today, so I couldn't make it down yet - Gonna drop down if its still going on when I'm done to get a few pics, but if not - if they are doing the party thing again tonight, then I'll drop down there and get some :)

Great turn out today, with lots of teams and loads of people dropping in to watch games.

Was there three times during the day and there was a constant flow of people arriving. Such a good event and it helps a great cause.

Great turn out today, with lots of teams and loads of people dropping in to watch games.

Was there three times during the day and there was a constant flow of people arriving. Such a good event and it helps a great cause.

Good stuff. Fair play to Mark and everyone else for a second successful year of it. Jeff would be proud.

Good stuff. Fair play to Mark and everyone else for a second successful year of it. Jeff would be proud.

Yep, Mark Blake deserves lots of praise for how he set it up last year, and for how he got such an excellent turn out again this year, and the other members of the Power family involved deserve similar praise. It is an amazing tribute to Jeff to have the tournament each year, and the fact it helps a great cause is a great way for the Power family to honour Jeff.

Well done to everyone! Steve or Kess, do ye know if there is anything on tonight with it?

I presume that there will be something later tonight same as there was last year, but I am not 100% on that.

Edit: Just made a call (well sent a text really :D) and there is a disco, raffle and a few other bits of fun on at the Young Munster club house tonight.

• Advertisement

Aye, I'll run around and ask the Cleary's, I'm sure Emily or James would know! :)

Aye, I'll run around and ask the Cleary's, I'm sure Emily or James would know! :)

Christ, more names I know in that area. :D

Emily I know to talk to. Which one of the brothers is James? Is he the one that hangs around with your man Leonard who has the two boxer dogs?

Christ, more names I know in that area. :D

Emily I know to talk to. Which one of the brothers is James? Is he the one that hangs around with your man Leonard who has the two boxer dogs?

No thats robbert! James, would be the youngest guy in the family! :) Short Black hair, and tall! :)

No thats robbert! James, would be the youngest guy in the family! :) Short Black hair, and tall! :)

Don't know James even to see then. At least I don't think I do.

You would do! Its just I'm not very good at describing him! :P

A lot of nice folk in that area. Just a shame that there is a fair number of scum passing through the place on such a regular basis doing damage and what not. That broken security gate near the field badly needs to be fixed again.

Its broken again? Jeez! Although, I'm a bit iffy if that should have been put up in the first place, because now they are after ruining a great place where a lot of people would normally walk, or bring their dogs - so they should have atleast given the local residents the code for it (Not just the ones that have their back gate attached onto it)

Its broken again? Jeez! Although, I'm a bit iffy if that should have been put up in the first place, because now they are after ruining a great place where a lot of people would normally walk, or bring their dogs - so they should have atleast given the local residents the code for it (Not just the ones that have their back gate attached onto it)

There is an article in one of the local papers about it this week. Think it is the Post. Lists how break ins and general scumbag stuff has gone up in the area and along the back of the main road houses since the gate was broken.
    Think it was mentioned in the article that the lane is actually listed on the deeds of the houses on the main road.

I agree that the walk should be able to be used by people, but if closing the lane means less incidents like all the damaged cars and broken into houses around your area, then it is a good thing imho. The scummers use it as an escape route and also to come out of late at night to do their damage as they walk down your street on their way home.

There is an article in one of the local papers about it this week. Think it is the Post. Lists how break ins and general scumbag stuff has gone up in the area and along the back of the main road houses since the gate was broken.
    Think it was mentioned in the article that the lane is actually listed on the deeds of the houses on the main road.

I agree that the walk should be able to be used by people, but if closing the lane means less incidents like all the damaged cars and broken into houses around your area, then it is a good thing imho. The scummers use it as an escape route and also to come out of late at night to do their damage as they walk down your street on their way home.

Aye, infact we were approached one day last year, by a neighbour about our new dog, about her barking - we thought it was gonna be bad, until we found out; she'd stopped a few of the cars being broken into over it! :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement