Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anywhere in Ireland to demo AV gear?

• 05-08-2011 10:40pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭

It's hard enough to decide what AV gear to buy without having to buy blind also (or should that be deaf?). Would there be anywhere I could demo, either here or up North?

Failing that, has anyone ever gone to the UK to demo?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 717 ✭✭✭akaSol

shayser wrote: »
    It's hard enough to decide what AV gear to buy without having to buy blind also (or should that be deaf?). Would there be anywhere I could demo, either here or up North?

SevenOaks , Peats and Cloney in Dublin

Sol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

akaSol wrote: »

Sol
    Much better than the long winded answer I was going to type up so I'll just add "yes " to having demoed abroad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

akaSol wrote: »

Sol
    Thanks. Had contacted Sevenoaks but got an email back saying they no longer do retail in Ireland. Had a look at Peats and Cloney, don't see the particular products I was interested in but will give them a call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,650 ✭✭✭shayser

Idleater wrote: »
    Much better than the long winded answer I was going to type up so I'll just add "yes " to having demoed abroad.
    Where did you go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Idleater wrote: »
    Where did you go?
    Just looked up hifi shops when going somewhere to see what they had. The best trip was to the Bristol show which is on in the spring.

What sort of equipment and budget do you have in mind? I would Google whatever manufacturers you take a fancy to and do a find retailers search. Lining up a whole load of exotic AV equipment in one place is unlikely even abroad so you've to factor in travel if you actually want to demo everything.

On the other hand if it's "only" something standard like a €500 onkyo, then I'd buy based on review and forum advice. This is not to take anything away from such equipment, but they are more feature rich and audio neutral. Bigger money goes on the audio quality side which is when demoing with proper speakers and amplification also comes into play.

Should've just typed up my long winded reply in the first place, :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Slaphead07

Thanks. Had contacted Sevenoaks but got an email back saying they no longer do retail in Ireland. Had a look at Peats and Cloney, don't see the particular products I was interested in but will give them a call.

Try KronosAV in Dungannonn too. Good guys, serious gear.

Advertisement