Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Weight of these calves

• 05-08-2011 10:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭

Have a few fresian bull calves im wondering the weight of, I know its hard to tell from a picture but Im looking for a rough idea, i reckon they're around 250kgs or that way. They're all January born.
    IMG_1205.jpg
    IMG_1203.jpg
    IMG_1206.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I would have said 230 Kg - but sure only a guesstimate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

my guess baseded on averages (birth weight = 42kg) + (.8kg gain/day X 203days = 162.4k) = 204.4kgs.
    Good looking calves by the way.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Put the best 5 in a trailer, go drive over a weigh bridge and get an idea that way, then weigh the trailer empty. After we've all had a guess :pac:, my guess 275kg

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭weefarmer

Looking at how nice these are nearly made me cry when thinking of my 2 march/april born calves that I bought lol.

I could weight them in a sheep weighbridge lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,034 ✭✭✭Bizzum

I will, with great certainty state that these young bulls weigh between 650Kgs and 660Kgs.
    This is the internet after all:D.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Bizzum wrote: »
    I will, with great certainty state that these young bulls weigh between 650Kgs and 660Kgs.
    This is the internet after all:D.

Is that for the 3 bulls in the top picture?:o

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Corkfarmer

Ya i was thinking of bringing a few of them to a weighbridge alright. They've been getting meal for most of the grazing season so I'm hoping they'll be well up there anyway. Must squeeze them soon too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭case 956

Corkfarmer wrote: »
    Ya i was thinking of bringing a few of them to a weighbridge alright. They've been getting meal for most of the grazing season so I'm hoping they'll be well up there anyway. Must squeeze them soon too.

Jasus dont squeeze them, kill dem as young bulls at 16 mths, once u close that birrizuo all de hard work and meal you put into dem is wasted as your profit wil b little to none when they bullocks, that my op

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,617 ✭✭✭20silkcut

case 956 wrote: »

Jasus dont squeeze them, kill dem as young bulls at 16 mths, once u close that birrizuo all de hard work and meal you put into dem is wasted as your profit wil b little to none when they bullocks, that my op

I wouldn't relish going in to herd a field of young unsqueezed friesian bulls.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

20silkcut wrote: »
    case 956 wrote: »

I wouldn't relish going in to herd a field of young unsqueezed friesian bulls.
    If they were killed at 14 months they would be safe out as they would finish during the spring after the winter inside.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

the sales i was at last week there was very little buying on friesian bulls - the man was lucky to get 150 along with the weight on 450kg bulls at 14 months old...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

whelan1 wrote: »
    the sales i was at last week there was very little buying on friesian bulls - the man was lucky to get 150 along with the weight on 450kg bulls at 14 months old...
    True, but you need them finished at 14 months of course you also need a contract to get top price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭milkprofit

280 when full weight them and let us know

• Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭Corkfarmer

That was the original plan alright to finish them as young bulls at around 16 to 18 months. In the trials they're doing in teagasc 16 month bulls lost money, the 18 and 20 month groups were profitable but not very. The amount of meal you have to feed them to finish them that young is the killer. With the way mart prices are going its looking like selling them in the mart as bullocks in october november is going to make the most sense especially since we're tight for space for wintering.

Advertisement