Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to live..

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

I would suggest Gurranabraher. It is a good place to live and is located on the Northside of Cork which is where Glamire is too. Blackpool shopping center is down the road, plus to get to town you only have to go down Cathedral Road and down Shandon Street. Town is only a 10-15 minute walk away in some parts of Gurranabraher, 5 minutes walk towards the bottom of Gurranabraher.

Plus you would be able to use the Lower Glamire Road to get to work,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,015 ✭✭✭Ludo

yep, tis closed at midnight now. Ludo for someone not originally from Douglas you are very protective of the place :D

I'm originally from South Douglas road... A lot bloody closer than you :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Ludo wrote: »
    I'm originally from South Douglas road... A lot bloody closer than you :rolleyes:

but classes apart :eek: now back to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

CorkMan wrote: »
    I would suggest Gurranabraher. It is a good place to live and is located on the Northside of Cork which is where Glamire is too. Blackpool shopping center is down the road, plus to get to town you only have to go down Cathedral Road and down Shandon Street. Town is only a 10-15 minute walk away in some parts of Gurranabraher, 5 minutes walk towards the bottom of Gurranabraher.

Plus you would be able to use the Lower Glamire Road to get to work,

Maybe not Gurranabraher...there are better places to live than there tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

I drove through the tunnel this morning at 8 & again at 9, traffic was flowing freely in both directions. Might be a bit busier when the schools are back but I was surprised how quiet it was.
    Anyway, my point is, if it's like that every day, somewhere around the Douglas area would suit, like many have already suggested. Mount Oval is one place that wasn't mentioned yet. That might be worth a look.

Not sure what traffic is like locally in the mornings & how long it might take to get out onto the South Ring but once you are it's not even 10 mins to Glanmire.
    But still miles away at the same time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Cadyboo

There are quite a few kids going to glanmire school living in Carrigtwohill. Why not look around ballyvolane or Mayfield? not too far from glanmire, close to town and has supermarkets etc in the area. Silversprings would be an easy commute for you also.
    Have you come down and checked out places yet??

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Cadyboo wrote: »
    There are quite a few kids going to glanmire school living in Carrigtwohill. Why not look around ballyvolane or Mayfield? not too far from glanmire, close to town and has supermarkets etc in the area. Silversprings would be an easy commute for you also.
    Have you come down and checked out places yet??

Could be wrong but I believe it's mostly people going to the Irish language school that travel from places such as Carrigtwohill. Students for Gaelscoileanna tend to travel further because they don't have such a school in their locality.

I teach in that general area too and I live in Douglas - no bother with the traffic in the morning, although I'm an early riser so may miss the main rush. There's a room going in my house, but it won't be ready until closer to September. Twill be up on Daft soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

H8GHOTI wrote: »
    I drove through the tunnel this morning at 8 & again at 9, traffic was flowing freely in both directions. Might be a bit busier when the schools are back but I was surprised how quiet it was.
    Anyway, my point is, if it's like that every day, somewhere around the Douglas area would suit, like many have already suggested. Mount Oval is one place that wasn't mentioned yet. That might be worth a look.

Not sure what traffic is like locally in the mornings & how long it might take to get out onto the South Ring but once you are it's not even 10 mins to Glanmire.
    But still miles away at the same time.

trust me, come October & November it won't be that quiet. Right now schools & colleges are off, people are on holidays and the weather is reasonably good.

RE Mount Oval, during the ice/snow over the past 2 winters people living up there were trapped, too dangerous getting cars down Clarke's Hill & Maryborough Hill, just something to bear in mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭rose23

Hi all..

I got a place in Douglas in the end anyways the other day it seemed to me to be the best option..

Seeing that post about Maryborough hill kind of scares me though as my house is around that area!!! Anyways tis all sorted now so thanks for all your help and thoughts!!

Advertisement