Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Contention with UPC 50Mbs

• 06-08-2011 7:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Should I see contention signs on a 50Mbit UPC connection? It's 7.37am now and I just loaded a 1080p YouTube video. It loaded very quickly, as you'd expect on this connection. But the other day, at around 8pm I had to bring the quality down to 480 to get it to load in a timely fashion. This happens every now and then with YouTube, both on my UPC connection and on my old Eircom one.

It could just be a YouTube thing but when I realised the time thing I started wondering about contention.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

I'm with O2 mobile broadband and I've found youtube to be good and bad depending on the video and I get about a max of 6-8Mb from o2. Either way, I can sometimes get good speeds to full 1080 HD video and sometimes not.

so I'd say it's probably a youtube thing unless UPC are somehow cutting more than 80% of your connection

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

definitely a youtube thing. i can get great and **** speeds randomly all the time, and id be using my 100mb UPC line or my meteor mobile broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sudsy86

Try updating ur adobe flash player and see if this makes an improvemet...

If you have noticed a particular video that loads slowly and you think its contention try the video again during a different time period of the day...

If the same video is loading slowly throughout the day i would rule out contention...

Also with the adope player, i would assume if the video was uploaded using a format or application newer then that of ur adopbe flash player this may be the issue also...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

you'd have to imagine that youtube have thousands of servers all over the world and that priority will be given to popular video's and that they may well be migrated around to either faster servers with faster connections or slower servers with slower connections depending on the quality of the video and it's popularity and this will affect the speed at which they buffer.

i have UPC 100mbps and i still get some video's buffering from time to time, but i can open another youtube video and have it loaded and playing whilst the other is still trying to buffer (so that's usually what i do whilst i'm waiting for one to buffer, just watch another one :)) so i always just assumed that's what was happening.

btw, i have no concrete evidence of this, i'm just assuming, but it makes sense to me. :)

Advertisement