Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Resistance when pushing bike in reverse.

• 06-08-2011 11:10am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭

Rear wheel moves freely when going forward but there is resistance when pushing in reverse.

Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

What type of bike is it ?
    Are brake pads fitted ok ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

What type of bike is it ?
    Are brake pads fitted ok ?

Honda varadero 125

I assume they are fitted ok. There is no problem when moving forward and breaking. How would I check?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

Make sure she's in neutral!

Keith186 wrote: »
    Make sure she's in neutral!

Haha. It's in neutral.
    It's not so much resistance that the bike does not roll.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭Dirk Gently

Any ideas?

Don't push it in reverse? :p

• Advertisement

A bit of further investigating.

put the bike up on a stand so both front and rear wheel off the ground.

When pushing the wheel backward you can hear the break bad grinding against the disk. The wheel comes to a complete halt in one area till you push past it and then its a lighter grind till you reach the same spot again.

When rolling the wheel forward there is a very light sound of grinding against the the disk.

Same thing seems to apply to the front wheel but to a much lesser extent.

I only have the bike a few weeks. Probably been like that since i bought it.

I assume either the disk itself is warped or the brake caliper is too tight on the brake disk.

Can these be adjusted?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

A bit of further investigating.

put the bike up on a stand so both front and rear wheel off the ground.

When pushing the wheel backward you can hear the break bad grinding against the disk. The wheel comes to a complete halt in one area till you push past it and then its a lighter grind till you reach the same spot again.

When rolling the wheel forward there is a very light sound of grinding against the the disk.

Same thing seems to apply to the front wheel but to a much lesser extent.

I only have the bike a few weeks. Probably been like that since i bought it.

I assume either the disk itself is warped or the brake caliper is too tight on the brake disk.

Can these be adjusted?
    Sounds like your brake pads could be worn out and instead of connecting with the pad surfaces the disc is connecting the the claipers holding the pads. New pads should fix it. You can gennerally check the pads as their should be a grove cut into them, the grove disappears as they worn. If that's not the case, the pads are possibly fitted incorrectly. My 2 cents without seeing the bike.

http://www.howtodothings.com/automotive/how-to-check-motorcycle-brakes

Ive ordered the Haynes manual and will have a good inspection once i get that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Keith186

I had dirt on my rear caliper before it wouldn't go back in and caused the wheel to be stiff.

Had to clean it off with brake cleaner aerosol and a light scrub from a nail brush. Don't pop the caliper out fully though apparently you need some tool to get it back in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

will always be a slight grind sound when spinning the wheel - the pads float, and so naturally brush against the disk when the brake isnt applied

funny that the resistance is only felt when spinning the wheel in one direction and not the other though - has me quite perplexed :o

• Advertisement

Wossack wrote: »
    will always be a slight grind sound when spinning the wheel - the pads float, and so naturally brush against the disk when the brake isnt applied

funny that the resistance is only felt when spinning the wheel in one direction and not the other though - has me quite perplexed :o

Ok thats good to hear there should be a light sound when going forward.

I'll get a video of it jamming and put it up on YouTube tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

What condition are the pads in?

As you can see it does a few rotations in reverse and then jams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭Wossack

thanks for the vid.. very strange one alright

would immediately think rear brake is binding, but seems ok in one direction, but not the other... does the disk feel excessively hot after a short spin with no back brake use?

how does the chain/spockets look?

Wossack wrote: »
    thanks for the vid.. very strange one alright

would immediately think rear brake is binding, but seems ok in one direction, but not the other... does the disk feel excessively hot after a short spin with no back brake use?

how does the chain/spockets look?

Chain looks ok. I'll check the spocket and heat tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

It could be a wheel bearing, or swing arm bearings.
    The brake disc is attached to the wheel, but the brake caliper is attached to the swing arm.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Try it with the chain off and brake caliper on, then with chain on and caliper off.

Will help you narrow it down. I'd have a look at it for you but you're a good few hours from me.

Seems to be the brake thats causing the issue but I've got other problems now which are more important issues which I'm trying to sort out with the starter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 412 ✭✭Fr Dougal

Caliper looks pretty clean in that video.

Here's a simple test, kneel at the right hand side of the bike. Put the palm of your hand against the caliper and push it as if you are trying to push it through the wheel. This should compress the pistons slightly (you only need a millimeter or so. Caliper is on sliders so it should balance out. When you have done this, try spinning the wheel in both directions and see if you still have the problem. This should tell you if the problem is with brakes or chain.

After doing this test, don't forget to press the brake pedal a few times before riding bike cos you need to re-compress the caliper to get the pads close to the disc.

Advertisement