Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

straw market

• 06-08-2011 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Anyone hear prices for barley and wheaten straw ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭stanflt

Anyone hear prices for barley and wheaten straw ?

8*4*4 27yoyos

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I heard 30 euro for similiar size bales of winter barley straw, I reckon it'll be down a good bit on last yr, less cattle, plenty of fodder in most parts. Hay is around 20 euro a 4x4 bale. But straw will still be dear out west cos of high diesel prices, and strong demand.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭vanderbadger

paid 2.30 for small barley bales delivered, its was 2.50 last year i think..not sure how good or bad that is

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

4x4 bales of hay is strugglin to make 15 around here(meath) heard one lad taking €12 for decent stuff. country is awash wit d best of feedin!

4x4 bales of hay is strugglin to make 15 around here(meath) heard one lad taking €12 for decent stuff. country is awash wit d best of feedin!

:eek: i paid 21for superb slightly green hay beside me- buy off the same man year in year out-off the same fields

where bouts are you based

• Advertisement

stanflt wrote: »
    :eek: i paid 21for superb slightly green hay beside me- buy off the same man year in year out-off the same fields

where bouts are you based

a little too close to d westmeath border for comfort;) have to say 21 is very steep this year!!!

a little too close to d westmeath border for comfort;) have to say 21 is very steep this year!!!

you must be near beatties, revingtons and brays;)

stanflt wrote: »
    you must be near beatties, revingtons and brays;)

yeh not far alrite ...athboy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

I have 500 winter barley small squares for sale in Kildare

Make me an offer :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭dar31

hoping to not pay more than €8 in the field for 4*4 barley, and a bit knocked off at payment.
    what price for 8*8*4 feed quality wheaten

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭nilhg

My sources in the straw trade tell me that things are very slow at the moment, very few lorries moving north or west.

If you have cash and can arrange transport home them you should be able to buy good value barley straw, if the bales get put into the sheds then the price will have to be higher to get them out again.

It's possible that the wheaten straw market might be a bit more solid, the mushroom fellas seem to be keen enough to restock and there is quite a bit of talk of the coppers being switched on on headlands and problem areas to add a bit of OM back to the soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭F.D

Any Idea what the demand is like for oaten straw and what price its making?
    or where it ranks for feed and bedding compared to Barley/wheaten

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

F.D wrote: »
    Any Idea what the demand is like for oaten straw and what price its making?
    or where it ranks for feed and bedding compared to Barley/wheaten
    there was a discussion about this earlier in the year , i was very surpeised that wheaten/oaten is better for the rumen than barley - which i had been using for years at extra cost- i am just wondering will i be left with wheaten straw at the bottom of the trough? anyways i am going to buy half wheaten half barley this year for feeding, so if the wheaten doesnt work out i will be ok , out teagasc advisor actually said osr straw would be the best for the rumen for the scratch factor:eek:

any updates on the price for 4x4 barley straw. our usual supplier wants €16 delivered:eek::eek:what are ye payin or prepared to pay. thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

any updates on the price for 4x4 barley straw. our usual supplier wants €16 delivered:eek::eek:what are ye payin or prepared to pay. thanks

Are you expecting for people to work for nothing. pay around 11e of the field

Are you expecting for people to work for nothing. pay around 11e of the field

No I don't expect people to work for nothing you don't even have any idea how far he has to deliver it lets just say he's talkin about €15 collected .....so in future unless u have a constructive piece of info to offer DON'T BOTHER :mad:

No I don't expect people to work for nothing you don't even have any idea how far he has to deliver it lets just say he's talkin about €15 collected .....so in future unless u have a constructive piece of info to offer DON'T BOTHER :mad:

and I taught I was doing my best, get a grip, maybe the guy selling has ulterior motive for screwing you:D

and I taught I was doing my best, get a grip, maybe the guy selling has ulterior motive for screwing you:D

its true what they say "u never have to look too far to find a gob****e" well i just found one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think maybe the early bird got the worm this year, from what I'm hearing prices have moved up a little as the weather causes a delay with baling the last of the winter barley straw and harvesting of the rest of the crops, the best quality good colour straw might already have been saved.

In surplus areas base prices seem to be roughly €10 in the field or €11 if the seller has to load, these prices are for cash (euro notes) as the load leaves the field. If you are buying in a deficit area then the price will obviously be higher so depending where you are €15 might not be too bad.

its true what they say "u never have to look too far to find a gob****e" well i just found one!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D:D:D

• Advertisement

nilhg wrote: »
    I think maybe the early bird got the worm this year, from what I'm hearing prices have moved up a little as the weather causes a delay with baling the last of the winter barley straw and harvesting of the rest of the crops, the best quality good colour straw might already have been saved.

In surplus areas base prices seem to be roughly €10 in the field or €11 if the seller has to load, these prices are for cash (euro notes) as the load leaves the field. If you are buying in a deficit area then the price will obviously be higher so depending where you are €15 might not be too bad.

i'm within 3/4 of an hour from u Nilhg in meath am i right in thinkin 15 collected and €16 delivered is steep??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

With high P and K prices and high delivery costs due to high diesel+labour costs it will be hard to blame lads for chopping straw. If the weather is broken then it is even more likely to be chopped as ppl don't want the hassle of turning straw as well.

I'm not a tillage farmer and I don't know how much extra diesel it takes to chop straw behind a combine, my guess would be 1-2 gals/acre. But if I was growing corn on my own land I know what I'd be doing with the straw. Renting land is different as the straw usually goes a long way towards paying the rent.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

i'm within 3/4 of an hour from u Nilhg in meath am i right in thinkin 15 collected and €16 delivered is steep??

I wouldn't deliver straw for a euro unless the yard I was delivering to was closer than home, it's one of those jobs that it's hard to get properly paid for.

Really I suppose if you can buy it somewhere else and get it home for less money then it's too dear, but I think that when it comes down to it there probably won't be too much in it.

blue5000 wrote: »
    With high P and K prices and high delivery costs due to high diesel+labour costs it will be hard to blame lads for chopping straw. If the weather is broken then it is even more likely to be chopped as ppl don't want the hassle of turning straw as well.

I'm not a tillage farmer and I don't know how much extra diesel it takes to chop straw behind a combine, my guess would be 1-2 gals/acre. But if I was growing corn on my own land I know what I'd be doing with the straw. Renting land is different as the straw usually goes a long way towards paying the rent.

We're going to chop the top and bottom headlands and all the gearogs where we'd be driving over rows, not worth the hassle of turning it and best to put some structure back in to the ground where it gets the most hardship.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Jollyone

Won't sell a bale for less than 12 out of the field. That s a good solid bale by the way unlike some I saw recently for 8 or 9 euros ( they were either baled fresh or were soft bales) . I hate turning straw and it will cost 2.75 to bale . Mite b easier to press the button and chop it then it's gone end of story and bring on the plough. Worth 40 to 50 euro to plough in . Also no trafficing and ruts in the field.

Jollyone wrote: »
    Won't sell a bale for less than 12 out of the field. That s a good solid bale by the way unlike some I saw recently for 8 or 9 euros ( they were either baled fresh or were soft bales) . I hate turning straw and it will cost 2.75 to bale . Mite b easier to press the button and chop it then it's gone end of story and bring on the plough. Worth 40 to 50 euro to plough in . Also no trafficing and ruts in the field.

I could frighten you with a price per ton at 9% moisture loaded :D:D

So your going to tell me it won't even pay to bale it ?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 104 ✭✭johnstown

Have a couple of fields in continuous tillage for a few years now, so I have chopped the straw back onto some of the land. This will be incorporated, weather permitting next week and rape will then be broadcast and the field rolled after.

How will u incorporate?

• Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭6600

whelan1 wrote: »
    i am just wondering will i be left with wheaten straw at the bottom of the trough? anyways i am going to buy half wheaten half barley this year for feeding, so if the wheaten doesnt work out i will be ok , out teagasc advisor actually said osr straw would be the best for the rumen for the scratch factor:eek:

Dunno about osr but you'll have no problems with wheaten straw being left behind, the cattle love it. They don't seem to like the barley as much. Wheaten straw breaks up easily in the paddle feeders too. We get ours chopped on the baler so its easier again on the feeder. Its also very quick to bed out if you can get in with the loader and leave the bale in the middle of the pen. Bale just falls apart when opened :D

• Advertisement

Seems strange that guys were givin out before about short straw and now they want it chopped with baler. Can't win.

Jollyone wrote: »
    How will u incorporate?

I have a stubble cultivator (or rather my brother does). Unfortunately it does not have a packer roller behind it, so it will mean having to roll afterwards.

What make or type of tines does it have. Contemplating making up somthing. Have a few bits here that mite work. Not for this year obviously.

The most common stubble cultivators seem to have chisel plough tines, followed by serrated discs and maybe a packer roller or crumbler behind. The cultivator I am using is actually slightly different. It has alternating paddles that just throw mix the soil and straw a little, about 3 inches in depth. The chisel tines tend to bring the stones to the surface.

The rape will be applied prior to cultivation at a high application rate. This is simply because there is quite a quantity of straw in places, even though chopped and spread, and it ensures the rape seed is in contact with the soil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

1.20 a bale for small squares collected in Kildare

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

fergus1001 wrote: »
    1.20 a bale for small squares collected in Kildare

Where in Kildare?

I'm looking for straw in Westmeath - 15 to 20 round bales. Somewhere that won't mind loading me twice - I'll be bringing 8 - 10 behind the jeep and collecting them after work. If anyone has any or knows anywhere, please let me know.

Or big square bales would suit either??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

is there much big squares on the market this year?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Juniorhurler

flatout11 wrote: »
    is there much big squares on the market this year?

Loads here in Wexford anyhow. A lot of it is wheaten. I was buying 4x4 barley straw at €7.50 a bale from the field. Good solid bales too.

when you say big square bales what size you asking about 8*4*4/8*4*3 or the smaller sizes. we seem to be able to get most weight up on the artic trailers with the 8*4*3 but needs to be bone dry and plenty of ponies on the tractor in front. Im forbidden to say what price they cost ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

I got small square bales this week for €3 a bale. They are nice tight bales and are good quality.

Advertisement