Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Retro Gaming on the Big Screen - Review of the SyncStrike, CGA2VGA and SLG3000 Kit

• 06-08-2011 12:19pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 735 ✭✭✭

For those of you interested in running your old consoles on your big HD screens, I'm sure you've heard of the Sync Strike and SLG3000 kit.

This is the kit I picked recently:
    http://www.arcadeforge.de/?page_id=880#DIY%20Scaler%20Kit

It consists of
    1) Sync Strike - takes in RGB Scart cable from your console and outputs to VGA connection (in CGA format) and RCA Audio connections
    2) cga2vga - takes in the output of the Sync Strive and upscales it nicely to 640x480 real VGA.
    3) SLG3000 - takes the output from the cga2vga and outputs a beautiful scanline image directly to your HD TV via its VGA connection.

A few images are attached (This forum software needs to be upgraded to enable image embedding so I'm sorry you will have to click on the images..)

Wii 60hz RGB - Looks great. Run and gun contra rebirth never looked better
    GameCube 60hz RGB - Fantastic. Prefer it to even the component cable with progressive scan.
    Megadrive/Genesis 60hz RGB Yea, get some!

As you can see in the images, it really does look fantastic and is highly recommended.

Now there are some problems. Some are annoying and some might even put you off a purchase...

First of all, it comes with no instructions what so ever. Nothing in the box, just 3x PCB's. You actually can't even use the kit when it arrives as you have to go out and buy 3x Male to Male VGA cables AND a 5vDC 2amp PSU. Could they not just sell everything together?

The other problem is the cga2vga. You have to randomly press the four buttons on the PCB to get it change from Chinese to English then somehow get it switch to 640x480 with the correct input type. The autodetect input doesn't work and when changing the resolution....wow, lets just say it's temperamental! Then when you finally have it all set up just the way you like it you will find yourself leaving it plugged in all the time because it doesn't save the configuration once powered off.

Also, during my testing, it did not work with all consoles. For example, my RGB SNES and RGB modded USA N64 just say "no signal"... These are 100% RGB with the real custom RGB cables and work fine on a Sony Trinitron CRT so not sure why they are not working with this kit.. maybe I just need to re-mod these consoles and their cables.

It's certainly not plug and play though and not for the average user. Despite these faults, I would recommend it. Look at those images, they're great!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

This is great, thanks for the info. I bought the same kit (minus the scaler as I bought it elsewhere), waiting for it to be delivered. Can't wait!

I liked the SCART connection from my Saturn to the plasma, but the sync, scaler and scan kit will really give it a serious quality injection.

Glad yours is working so nicely, looking forward to joining the club. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 bencao74

Hey,

first post :) Thanks for the neat review for the DIY scaler chain. I`m one of the developers of the SLG and Sync Strike. I got your idea and put some helpers to my site:

- External PSU for Scaler and Sync Strike
    - Male to Male gender changer ( no need for VGA cables then)

IMG_1350.JPG
    IMG_1348.JPG
    IMG_1326.JPG
    IMG_1325.JPG
    IMG_1324.JPG
    Hope this helps on upcoming installations.

My site is under http://www.arcadeforge.de

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭Pyongyang

Nice one. Seen your username on shmups, you are taking care of my Mak Strike order from last week then? :)

I bought a coupler too. Might need more. I love these items though are you selling the 15khz plugs soon?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,653 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

Letting it go this time but please don't use the forum as a shop window.
    Thanks.

sorry, so no shop links and only project regarding infos.

SailorSat is making some tests for the dongle. I hope everything is going fine here. With that dongle every graphic card can be enabled for using Soft15Khz.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

bencao74 wrote: »
    sorry, so no shop links and only project regarding infos.

SailorSat is making some tests for the dongle. I hope everything is going fine here. With that dongle every graphic card can be enabled for using Soft15Khz.

That girl simply rocks, the author of Soft15Khz for those who didn't know :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭Andrew76

Was there any update on whether it will run on Win7 yet? Couldn't get it to run on Win7 64bit when I was mucking about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

Andrew76 wrote: »
    Was there any update on whether it will run on Win7 yet? Couldn't get it to run on Win7 64bit when I was mucking about.

Same here, I resorted to XP x64, I'm kinda glad in hindsight as XP is far less a resource hog than 7.

hmm, my last state was that only xp works...

Advertisement