Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HP mini takes ages to do anything!

• 06-08-2011 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭

Hi,

I have a HP mini 110-3100 with 1gb of ram using windows 7 starter, I have two user accounts set up - one for me and one for the kids.

It has been working fine up until this week when it has slowed to standstill, it literally takes 20 mins to boot up to the select user screen, and when you pick a user it takes another 10 mins to get any programs/ Internet open. Doing anything in this time is painfully slow, once you get past this time it seems to work ok, it's just the fact that it takes soooooo long to get there!

There have been no new programs installed, and loads of hard drive space (188gb) and when I run msconfig and check what is running on startup it's only showing:
    HP wirelesss assistant
    Avg
    Malwarebytes
    Windows live family safety
    Java
    Google toolbar notifier
    Windows live messenger

So not a whole load of programs running at startup that would cause such a long boot time.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Go throught the steps in the sticky here to check for bad stuff.
    Install Soluto, it'll tell you what loads and how long it takes.
    Also use Defraggler to defrag it and Ccleaner to remove crap, both from www.piriform.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,078 ✭✭✭Hal Emmerich

Do a system restore back to when it was good.

Advertisement