Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help me catch a criminal!

• 06-08-2011 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭

Hey guys,

My car was hit in Oak Drive, Hillview (The bungalows down the end) on Monday night at about midnight. The driver sped off and never contacted me, leaving me to foot the bill (which I unfortunately don't have). The car description is a new Silver Audi, possibly a 2010, or 2011 A4. One of the tires was punctured after the crash, which the driver drove up through hillview on.

I don't want to give a sob story, but I am dependant on my car as I am on illness benefit - and don't have the spare cash to repair it, nor do I want to lose all of my no claims bonus and have my insurance increase which I also couldn't afford.

If anyone knows anything about this, could they contact me. If I don't catch the culprit, I'll have to scrap my car which I only bought less than 2 months ago :(

I know boards has been on the ball for things like this before, so you guys are my last hope!

Send me a PM, or contact me and I'll give you my number if you have info.

Thanks in advance,
    John.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

Don't worry - you won't have to foot the bill.

Claim from the insurance bureau - mibi.ie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Will contact them - thanks.

Still keen to find out who was responsible though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Ill keep an eye out for some bollox in a a4 so. Hopefully he/she is caught

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

What's the penalty for this guy if they catch him? It seems to me that some people will always gamble on getting away with this if they are only going to get a slap on the wrist when caught. I really don't see how this is different to robbing cash from somebody - does the penalty fit the crime?

What's the penalty for this guy if they catch him? It seems to me that some people will always gamble on getting away with this if they are only going to get a slap on the wrist when caught. I really don't see how this is different to robbing cash from somebody - does the penalty fit the crime?

Fleeing the scene of a crime is pretty serious.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

Any cctv cameras on any of roads up that way ?

south wrote: »
    Any cctv cameras on any of roads up that way ?

Neighbour around the corner had CCTV, but his daughter plugged it out by accident. I popped into the Garage at the entrance to Hillview, but the footage was overwritten yesterday :( If only I had have gone up before then. Unless someone else has CCTV in Hillview, then I don't know.

I'll pop back down to the Guards on Monday though to let them know what type of car it was.

dlofnep wrote: »
    I'll pop back down to the Guards on Monday though to let them know what type of car it was.

The guy will most likely be getting the car fixed at an Audi main dealer. Ring around?

The guy will most likely be getting the car fixed at an Audi main dealer. Ring around?

Who's the main Audi dealer do you know?

Guards are open on the weekend ya know lol. Try some of the tyre places aswell, ya never know

• Advertisement

Who's the main Audi dealer do you know?
    I don't know, and I'd try ones in nearby counties too, but I'd start with these guys...

http://www.audi.ie/ie_partner/p_00724/en/about_us/our_dealership.html

seanybiker wrote: »
    Guards are open on the weekend ya know lol. Try some of the tyre places aswell, ya never know

I know they are, but the Garda I was talking to won't be back until Monday.

I don't know, and I'd try ones in nearby counties too, but I'd start with these guys...

http://www.audi.ie/ie_partner/p_00724/en/about_us/our_dealership.html

Thanks mate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,805 ✭✭✭jammstarr

Hope you catch the knobhead buttie

• Closed Accounts Posts: 376 ✭✭laughter189

What type of damage should we be looking out for on the Silver Audi ?

What type of damage should we be looking out for on the Silver Audi ?

Well, the tire was punctured. I think it hit it coming on, so it would be the front right area of the car that's damaged and a punctured tire.

Well, the tire was punctured. I think it hit it coming on, so it would be the front right area of the car that's damaged and a punctured tire.
    Sounds like you know exactly what to look for. The guy will be needing a new front bumper on the car. If you find out where they are ordered from, you'll have another lead. The only problem on that front is that they may be unpainted when ordered, and painted at the garage. That was my experience with BMW anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,218 ✭✭✭Junior

If he drove off on a punctured tyre, he maybe looking for an Alloy as well - Bolands are the Audi dealers now, you could contact them. Also speak to the local scrap yards like McBrides as well and state your case ..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

it won,t be just an audi dealer that could fix this car like there is a lot of crash repair garages around waterford that could do this sort of repair nothing special about it, also good luck to ya on finding out who done it as it,ll be like finding a needle in a haystack and to prove if this person did actually did it is another thing unless someone witnessed the accident and wrote down the reg.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,639 ✭✭✭south

Audi would probably send it out to a panel beaters so try find out where they go to. i think the fella in the 6 cross roads business park use to do a bit of work for them.

• Advertisement

it won,t be just an audi dealer that could fix this car like there is a lot of crash repair garages around waterford that could do this sort of repair nothing special about it
    But won't the repairer need an Audi front fender and possibly lights etc.? Wouldn't it be easiest and fastest to get these from an Audi dealer? The fenders are plastic and can't be knocked back into shape properly.

I don't know about matching the paint - would any crash repair place be able to do that?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 744 ✭✭✭angry_fox

Hey guys,

My car was hit in Oak Drive, Hillview (The bungalows down the end) on Monday night at about midnight. The driver sped off and never contacted me, leaving me to foot the bill (which I unfortunately don't have). The car description is a new Silver Audi, possibly a 2010, or 2011 A4. One of the tires was punctured after the crash, which the driver drove up through hillview on.

Is that area a cul de sac?

angry_fox wrote: »

Yup

angry_fox wrote: »

yeah, it sure is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,090 ✭✭✭wobbles

Is there any cctv around the the cleaboy chipper or the garage/car sales at the other side. He would have had to drive one of those roads to getaway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,625 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

Sounds tome like the Audi was robbed? Did the guard suggest this?
    Hopefully on Monday the guard might have more information, you never know.

wobbles wrote: »
    Is there any cctv around the the cleaboy chipper or the garage/car sales at the other side. He would have had to drive one of those roads to getaway
    them pricks in that garage would charge you for checking cctv if they had.any.

seanybiker wrote: »
    them pricks in that garage would charge you for checking cctv if they had.any.

I was up at Heffernans Garage. He checked for me, but unfortunately the camera footage was reset yesterday. Might be other CCTV footage around, but none that I could see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

Don't worry - you won't have to foot the bill.

Claim from the insurance bureau - mibi.ie

Unless there are significant personal injuries arising from the same incident there is no provision for claiming through MIBI for property damage caused by an unidentified vehicle.

If the vehicle is comprehensively insured then you have to claim on your own insurance in any case.

OP - unfortunately I'd say you'll just have to claim on your insurance if fully comp. It's difficult enough trying to get people to pay out if you know who they are and have agreed to settle damage privately (I'd never fall for that again), let alone trying to trace an unidentified vehicle and then proving liability.

SSE

• Advertisement

I won't be claiming off my insurance - I can't afford to lose my no claims bonus. I will have to scrap the car if the damage is anymore than a few hundred as I don't have any money. Those few hundred are supposed to be for medical costs!

Advertisement