Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Irish Rail, travel times and permanent speed restrictions must improve!!

• 06-08-2011 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Your views and what do you think

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,045 ✭✭✭Hilly Bill

Fair comment.

As far as i know, the Dublin to Cork and Galway routes are to be upgraded next year to improve the line speed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,523 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

they must, must they? Certainly they should but who is going to come out and demand it, IE's head honcho? Leo V? the NTA?

care to explain how this should / will be achieved or offer an opinion?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,511 ✭✭✭✭Victor

What do you think Le_bounce?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭cocoshovel

Id love to see more late night and early morning trains between Dublin and Waterford. The last train to Waterford is at 18:35, which is no good as I often want to attend something in Dublin that takes place in the evening time.
    Its the same going in the opposite direction, the last train to Dublin from Waterford is 18:20.

Also, an early morning train from Kilkenny to Waterford would be great too. The earliest one departs at 9:05. I would like to be able to live in Kilkenny and be able to grab the train to Waterford for college every morning but as it stands the only way down at the moment is a privately run bus. Is it the same with other lines too?

However as much as I want this to happen I imagine there is just little or no demand for it and that is why there isn't any services at these hours.

In regard to the line speeds, it would be great if they could go faster but is there a way to improve them without having to pretty much lay down new track? I don't know much on the subject but I imagine they are already operating as best as they can no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭CIE

In regard to the line speeds, it would be great if they could go faster but is there a way to improve them without having to pretty much lay down new track?
    Signalling improvements primarily, and better super-elevation as far as curves go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,337 ✭✭✭dowlingm

As pointed out above, it would be great if PSRs could be remediated but this costs money. A good deal of it was blown on lines either suspended (Rosslare-Waterford) or about to be so (Nenagh-Killonan).

Waterford-Limerick: it's a shame that the approaches from Waterford Station is, as I understand, essentially two separately signalled single tracks. With the increase of services as well as the uptick in freight capacity is bound to be tight.

Is there any plan to CTC Waterford and Waterford West, and perhaps move the junction between the two lines out as far as the N25 which would give about what, 2km more passing track for services towards Kilkenny, given that only one train is employed from Waterford to Limerick Junction? If they lifted Belview-Rosslare Strand (especially the recent CWR bits) there might be panels to double a few more bits between Waterford and Athy :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

add the WRC into your first paragraph...

cocoshovel wrote: »
    I would like to be able to live in Kilkenny and be able to grab the train to Waterford for college every morning
    Surely, given that you don't already live in Kilkenny, it would make sense for you to live near college?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,251 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

dowlingm wrote: »
    Waterford-Limerick: it's a shame that the approaches from Waterford Station is, as I understand, essentially two separately signalled single tracks. With the increase of services as well as the uptick in freight capacity is bound to be tight.

Is there any plan to CTC Waterford and Waterford West, and perhaps move the junction between the two lines out as far as the N25 which would give about what, 2km more passing track for services towards Kilkenny, given that only one train is employed from Waterford to Limerick Junction?

Waterford station and it's confines are double tracked line and protected with Harpers Absolute Block while the lines towards Rosslare and Carraig on Suir are ETS lines; two systems that require mechanical boxes. Until you resignal the branches, there is no benefit of doing anything to Waterford just yet.

Waterford station and it's confines are double tracked line and protected with Harpers Absolute Block while the lines towards Rosslare and Carraig on Suir are ETS lines; two systems that require mechanical boxes. Until you resignal the branches, there is no benefit of doing anything to Waterford just yet.
    Losty - the double bit is Waterford West-Waterford right? I was thinking of the bit west of Waterford West, essentially moving the interface to the ETS section outward. Given IE's rationalisation of signal boxes recently, presumably Waterford will eventually hit the top of the to do list?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭CaptainSkidmark

what kind of way is that to open a topic lol

Victor wrote: »
    Surely, given that you don't already live in Kilkenny, it would make sense for you to live near college?

I live closer to Kilkenny than I do to Waterford. I have a lot of family and activities that I do in Kilkenny and I was considering moving there. Either way I have to travel between the 2 towns, but I go to Kilkenny a lot more than Waterford.

dowlingm wrote: »
    Losty - the double bit is Waterford West-Waterford right? I was thinking of the bit west of Waterford West, essentially moving the interface to the ETS section outward. Given IE's rationalisation of signal boxes recently, presumably Waterford will eventually hit the top of the to do list?

It's single nowadays towards Granny, which is the junction. I can't remember the exact extent of the double section so homefully somebody can come in and let us know; either way it's not too far from West Cabin and Granny. One thing I do know; when it was doubletracked it was worked as two single lines beside each other. This was because the Limerick line was initially double track, the Kilkenny branch being the "junction"; this arrangement presumably is how Ab Block arrived on the line to begin with. The rather complex and unusual mix of signalling systems combined with the uncertain future of the the branches and the heavy freight traffic has all doubtlessly made it all the harder to plan any large scale resignaling overhauls so it's the last bastion of mainline semaphore for now.

The next time I talk to my signal expert I'll pick his brains about it all :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Le_bounce

What do you think Le_bounce?

To be honest Irish rail have to seriously start making some sort of effort in making rail times competive with our road network. We have a new fleet of class 22000 dmu capable of 100mph at best now I mean at best were to lucky to get 80mph operation out of them. I think we need a network rail type of setup

Le_bounce wrote: »
    I think we need a network rail type of setup
    What would that look like?

kinda red white and blue i should think

Le_bounce wrote: »
    To be honest Irish rail have to seriously start making some sort of effort in making rail times competive with our road network. We have a new fleet of class 22000 dmu capable of 100mph at best now I mean at best were to lucky to get 80mph operation out of them. I think we need a network rail type of setup

There are a few issues to take in here before anything can be done....
    • A train may be capable of 100MPH but curves, gradients and bridges will ensure that maximum speeds won't be reached all the time.
    • More stops slow speeds down as it increases down time and trains need time to start/stop. Cut out stations and speeds pick up but you serve less towns so it's a balancing act that's hard to get right.
    • Many of our lines are single track so those crossing points that exist need to used to their zenith; this is something that overly high speeds will never defeat.
    • There are less slower trains running to hamper fast trains; freight paths are not choking lines as they use to while all mainline stock is 100MPH capable unlike the Mark 2/Craven stock that used to be common on most lines.
    Make more double track you may say but this costs mega money and needs to be justified in terms of speed increases, capacity enhancement and finances.

The current outlook within Irish Rail is to iron out those places where slower speeds can be brought upwards without resorting to the expsnce and delays that come with wholesale mass engineering and construction. Things such as the relaying of heavier track, ballast packing and cleaning adjusting of signalling points and minor realighnment all make minor differences that add up in no time, provided they can followed up on and introduced into running times and paths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Le_bounce

Thanks for the insight losty dublin, i agree IR are not going spend massive money on major infrastructure change but hopefully these minor differences come soon as possible to have some sort of impact

Make more double track you may say but this costs mega money
    What kind of "mega money" really...? A lot of motorways are costing €12 million per kilometre (€18 million per mile) on average. Should we proceed with the M17 then? How much will the "Atlantic Corridor" cost the Irish taxpayer...?

CIE wrote: »
    What kind of "mega money" really...? A lot of motorways are costing €12 million per kilometre (€18 million per mile) on average. Should we proceed with the M17 then? How much will the "Atlantic Corridor" cost the Irish taxpayer...?

It's not mega money if compared cent to cent to the construction of a motorway but when compared to the relative income increases and social benefit to the locality and the country that come off it, it gets harder to justify the investment into a railway on that basis alone. If we look at the WRC, it costs were €106.5m for an additional 36 miles of a total rebuilding of track, new stations, resignaling, CPOs, bridges etc but the argument against it is that it won't be heavily used compared to it's outlay. At the other end of the scale, both the DART and Luas cost more yet run at a profit and shift large amounts of people and for the better good of the country. While CIE or the RPA usually obtain funding for massive infrastructural projects from the State, road users don't directly pay for the motorways we travel on, toll booths aside. In short the cost benefits on rail nor do road users pay for road side cafes, staff to run roads but it gets more complex when the greater picture is considered.

Getting back to the main point, the time and operational savings in running double track lines need to be significant before they can be justified. One very good example is the Clonsilla-Maynooth line; in 1994 it was doubled and the service levels on the line have become well used ever since, with longer trains running more often and thus carrying more people.

• Advertisement

, I'm sure there are places where double track could be added and would be sucessful in improving journey times and passenger numbers. Lets not get carried away by insisting that entire routes get doubled though.

corktina wrote: »
    , I'm sure there are places where double track could be added and would be sucessful in improving journey times and passenger numbers. Lets not get carried away by insisting that entire routes get doubled though.

I agree with you that there probably is but the easy bit is in wishing for them; the real fun is in deciding where to place them to the best benefit. To find out those points you need to find out what services are crossing where and how long of a wait you are talking about. This is before you consider if the infrastructure can accomodate a second running line without affecting running speeds, the associated relaying, bridging and resignalling costs as well as the other elephant in the room; is there enough rolling stock and manpower to work any service enhancements to exploit the additional network capacity.

As it is now, the consensus is that there is probably more need to expand the capacity on the GNR mainline and surburban lines into Dublin than on the single lines out of town. The current plan of slotting in more frequent trains throughout the day is for now, the better and cheaper option and it's probably better for the passenger to have more choice of train times as a whole.

i live 160 miles from Dublin, but still agree that capacity in the Capital is paramount. Investment in Dublin infrastructure benefits the whole country.

As regards resources, i know its heresey to say it, but it would make sense to replace some rural lines with a bus service offering guaranteed connections,thus freeing up stock etc for an enhanced service on the more important parts of the network.

i live 160 miles from Dublin, but still agree that capacity in the Capital is paramount. Investment in Dublin infrastructure benefits the whole country.

As regards resources, i know its heresey to say it, but it would make sense to replace some rural lines with a bus service offering guaranteed connections,thus freeing up stock etc for an enhanced service on the more important parts of the network.

I would agree with you on that in principle. Sadly, in practice it takes a lot longer to roll out; the experience with the South Wexford line is a good example of same.

The problem with the situation as it stands is that replacement services are not run by IE and thus their catchment shrinks further and further while BE's network strengthens, which BE then compounds by throwing resources at rail-killer X services. BE is even allowed to reinforce its network by partnership with private companies while IE can only give away routes like Waterford-Rosslare to the competition.

I am a firm proponent of IE being able to run bus services in their own right to their railheads to allow them to expand their catchment area so that half-empty trains can be filled. However, this should be predicated on these services reinforcing, not replacing, their network through interconnection and feed. The arrival of the new 22Ks is going to mean a lot of DMUs looking for customers or being condemned to North Wall or other rustage outposts. If there isn't a sea change in how rail is organised soon the train companies of the world are going to be reading ads in the trade press for a whole lot of DMUs, followed by tenders for scrappage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭steamengine

I agree with you that there probably is but the easy bit is in wishing for them; the real fun is in deciding where to place them to the best benefit. To find out those points you need to find out what services are crossing where and how long of a wait you are talking about. This is before you consider if the infrastructure can accomodate a second running line without affecting running speeds, the associated relaying, bridging and resignalling costs as well as the other elephant in the room; is there enough rolling stock and manpower to work any service enhancements to exploit the additional network capacity.

As it is now, the consensus is that there is probably more need to expand the capacity on the GNR mainline and surburban lines into Dublin than on the single lines out of town. The current plan of slotting in more frequent trains throughout the day is for now, the better and cheaper option and it's probably better for the passenger to have more choice of train times as a whole.

Regarding the GNR line it would appear to be at or near maximum capacity at present. The Northern Commuter services are supplemented by services such as the 33X which indicates the rail service from Skerries and other stations cannot handle the potential numbers of passengers who wish to travel by rail. No doubt a farther tranche of commuters also use their cars to commute to Dublin. But that is to be expected as this is the original double track line that was laid down over 100 years ago. Killester in the early 1900's was the border between the city and the countryside. Since then we have rolling suburbs almost all the way to Drogheda.

One or more previous threads have dealt with a proposed solution of adding at least one express track to free up the route, particularly for the Enterprise. Outside of massive investment it is difficult to see any substantial improvements to the current situation. Interestingly enough, if one looks at the cutting at Killester and Harmonstown there appears to be enough lateral room to lay a third track. Did the original design make an allowance for this type of expansion - one wonders ???

Another general point about passenger rail services is that they have to somehow 'cut it again' timewise to compete. That's difficult to see happening with the 'band aid' approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

Yep, the northern is in a mess and that's why I won't use it unless I absolutely have to. I drive / cycle / use the bus now instead.

Part of the peak time problem is using commuter services and halting them at Malahide & Portmarnock when there is a DART alternative within minutes. This obviously disproportionately loads the diesel services, and also causes them to be slower by virtue of these loadings and extra halts on the way. Looking at the loadings on the 33D & 33X shows how much peak customers have been lost, and I believe the current haltings have a lot to do with it.

I also wonder if working peak DART's with cascading stops (i.e. sets serve alternate stations) during peak hours is worthy of consideration? It would certainly add to improved journey times.

Oh and finally, why the f**k is there still a ridiculously slow speed limit between Connolly and Fairview? The current speeds haven't improved since the port tunnel works completed yonks ago :rolleyes:

shamwari wrote: »
    Yep, the northern is in a mess and that's why I won't use it unless I absolutely have to. I drive / cycle / use the bus now instead.

Part of the peak time problem is using commuter services and halting them at Malahide & Portmarnock when there is a DART alternative within minutes. This obviously disproportionately loads the diesel services, and also causes them to be slower by virtue of these loadings and extra halts on the way. Looking at the loadings on the 33D & 33X shows how much peak customers have been lost, and I believe the current haltings have a lot to do with it.

I also wonder if working peak DART's with cascading stops (i.e. sets serve alternate stations) during peak hours is worthy of consideration? It would certainly add to improved journey times.

Oh and finally, why the f**k is there still a ridiculously slow speed limit between Connolly and Fairview? The current speeds haven't improved since the port tunnel works completed yonks ago :rolleyes:

I have some experience of that route - used it for a month or two back in the mid 90's. Now with the DART service, the first stop past Howth junction should be Donabate, it would seem to be a no brainer. Regarding the slow section from Fairview in to Connolly, I remember one morning a frustrated commuter, during a prolonged signal stop, sticking his head out the window and roaring up to the driver 'Get this train f**king moving' ! Everybody cracked up :D

Now with the DART service, the first stop past Howth junction should be Donabate
    That'll force a backtrack for anyone that wanted to ride between Malahide and Donabate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Id love to see more late night and early morning trains between Dublin and Waterford. The last train to Waterford is at 18:35, which is no good as I often want to attend something in Dublin that takes place in the evening time.
    Its the same going in the opposite direction, the last train to Dublin from Waterford is 18:20.

Also, an early morning train from Kilkenny to Waterford would be great too. The earliest one departs at 9:05. I would like to be able to live in Kilkenny and be able to grab the train to Waterford for college every morning but as it stands the only way down at the moment is a privately run bus. Is it the same with other lines too?

However as much as I want this to happen I imagine there is just little or no demand for it and that is why there isn't any services at these hours.

In regard to the line speeds, it would be great if they could go faster but is there a way to improve them without having to pretty much lay down new track? I don't know much on the subject but I imagine they are already operating as best as they can no?

the bit i have highlighted, i can only speak for the longford to connolly line but the service is better on this line than the one you mentioned, first train from longford is at 5:45, think there is 4 trains gone by half 9 in the morning, and the last train from longford to dublin is at 9:05 at night, which is great aswell... only way i could think of this being improved is if the last train from dublin to longford was a bit later, as it stands its at 7:05, but id say the traffic on this line is pretty much full so cant really complain! usually takes about 1 hour 40 minutes aswell, sometimes a bit longer, and always a 15 minute wait in edgesworthstown, which does take slightly longer than a car, but it does always be very busy!

I have some experience of that route - used it for a month or two back in the mid 90's. Now with the DART service, the first stop past Howth junction should be Donabate, it would seem to be a no brainer.

Provided that the services serve Howth Junction to enable changing to the DART, that is ;)

Provided that the services serve Howth Junction to enable changing to the DART, that is ;)

Yes, of course - CIE has correctly pointed up one of the snags. It's the lesser of two evils at the end of the day. The problem is not solved, just diminished for the greater good. Basically faster trains should be able to overtake slower trains and with 15 minute clock face timetabling for DARTS, in both directions, one can readily see the difficulties. DART intervals are also compressed further during rush hour. At Howth Junction there are 14 movements (DART and Commuter) between 17.00 and 18.00 hours.

It's not mega money if compared cent to cent to the construction of a motorway but when compared to the relative income increases and social benefit to the locality and the country that come off it, it gets harder to justify the investment into a railway on that basis alone. If we look at the WRC, it costs were €106.5m for an additional 36 miles of a total rebuilding of track, new stations, resignaling, CPOs, bridges etc but the argument against it is that it won't be heavily used compared to it's outlay. At the other end of the scale, both the DART and Luas cost more yet run at a profit and shift large amounts of people and for the better good of the country. While CIE or the RPA usually obtain funding for massive infrastructural projects from the State, road users don't directly pay for the motorways we travel on, toll booths aside. In short the cost benefits on rail nor do road users pay for road side cafes, staff to run roads but it gets more complex when the greater picture is considered
    Too many holes in that argument. And I'm not talking about the WRC specifically anyhow, but when it comes to that, it's absurd (offensive, really) that the company charged with constructing it will be permitted to deliberately under-utilise it. And as far as the motorways go, that's a lot of land you're not getting back.
    Getting back to the main point, the time and operational savings in running double track lines need to be significant before they can be justified. One very good example is the Clonsilla-Maynooth line; in 1994 it was doubled and the service levels on the line have become well used ever since, with longer trains running more often and thus carrying more people
    That's called playing catch-up. I still don't see "mega money", especially with the disparity between road and rail funding, and I don't see how it helps the country by continuing to force the private sector out of the railways while at the same time keeping the rail mode from becoming as modernised as possible.

Too many holes in that argument. And I'm not talking about the WRC specifically anyhow, but when it comes to that, it's absurd (offensive, really) that the company charged with constructing it will be permitted to deliberately under-utilise it.

They are not holes in an argument; they are practical issues that cost money in improving any line and they have to be considered when expanding any line. Indeed, road projects also go through the same evaluation but unlike a railway line roads don't have to consider the direct income aspect of any project analysis, save for toll roads of course. Ask yourself this as rule of thumb; are tens of millions of € worthwhile for a time saving of a couple of minutes? Sometimes it is but not always and that's what it comes down to; is the investment going to make a worthy benefit?
    And as far as the motorways go, that's a lot of land you're not getting back.That's called playing catch-up. I still don't see "mega money", especially with the disparity between road and rail funding, and I don't see how it helps the country by continuing to force the private sector out of the railways while at the same time keeping the rail mode from becoming as modernised as possible.

I'm not arguing with you about the rights and wrongs of road versus rail investment here but both types of projects need to benefit the nation as a whole and need to ensure that they aren't wasted money, which some have ended up as being though many reasons. Others may pay off in the long run so the immediate fruits won't be seen for some years to come. We can argue about perhaps not needing every motorway that was built but then again the same can be said of many of our railways.

Loops, in particular dynamic loops (long passing loops, where the waiting train doesn't need to stop) would be useful on Maynooth-Mullingar, Portarlington-Athlone and perhaps Greystones-Wicklow. A third or fourth track would be useful Bray-Balbriggan and Hazelhatch-Cherryville Junction.

However, they may not be practical in some locations were there weren't previous additional tracks.
    shamwari wrote: »
    How would you get from stop 1 to stop 2, 4 or 6? Possibly more meaningful would be to run certain trains non-stop between the busier stations, but at the same time not under-providing a service to the stations you skip. As it is RTPI is killing bus stops that don't have RTPI.

• Advertisement

Loops, in particular dynamic loops (long passing loops, where the waiting train doesn't need to stop) would be useful on Maynooth-Mullingar, Portarlington-Athlone and perhaps Greystones-Wicklow. A third or fourth track would be useful Bray-Balbriggan and Hazelhatch-Cherryville Junction.

However, they may not be practical in some locations were there weren't previous additional tracks.

For the cost of installing one of these dynamic loops, it is almost as economic to keep going with the double track altogether.

Not necessarily. From Maynooth to Longford, the passing loops are erratically placed, with spacings of 8 to 15 miles. This becomes problematic in the evening when there are large numbers of crossing trains. A passing loop every 6-8 miles would improve that, but at Longwood-Hill of Down things don't fit as neatly and it might be useful to have a 3km dynamic loop.

The advantage of a dynamic loop is that it is no more mechanically complicated than a typical short loop and to a degree can be placed such that it avoids pinch points at bridges or narrow embankments and cuttings. Meanwhile, instead of starting from stationary, the train can hold back and when passing the other train, can do so at substantial speed. It is also more fuel efficient. Admittedly, there is the extra cost of track and track maintenance, but two tracks cost marginally less than twice what one track costs.

Location Mile Post Distance from previous location Distance from previous passing loop
    Dublin Connolly - 2.00 Double track
    Drumcondra - 1.00 1.00 Double track
    Maynooth 15.00 16.00 Double track
    End of Double Track ** 15.50 0.50 Double track
    Kilcock 18.75 3.25 No passing loop
    Enfield 26.50 7.75 11.00
    Longwood ** 32.75 6.25 No passing loop
    Hill of Down ** 35.75 3.00 No passing loop
    Killucan ** 41.75 6.00 15.25
    Mullingar 49.75 8.00 8.00
    * The Sligo line is measured from Broadstone Station; the MPs for Dublin Connolly and Drumcondra have been approximated.
    ** Non-station location.

Not necessarily. From Maynooth to Longford, the passing loops are erratically placed, with spacings of 8 to 15 miles. This becomes problematic in the evening when there are large numbers of crossing trains. A passing loop every 6-8 miles would improve that, but at Longwood-Hill of Down things don't fit as neatly and it might be useful to have a 3km dynamic loop.

The advantage of a dynamic loop is that it is no more mechanically complicated than a typical short loop and to a degree can be placed such that it avoids pinch points at bridges or narrow embankments and cuttings. Meanwhile, instead of starting from stationary, the train can hold back and when passing the other train, can do so at substantial speed. It is also more fuel efficient. Admittedly, there is the extra cost of track and track maintenance, but two tracks cost marginally less than twice what one track costs.

Location Mile Post Distance from previous location Distance from previous passing loop
    Dublin Connolly - 2.00 Double track
    Drumcondra - 1.00 1.00 Double track
    Maynooth 15.00 16.00 Double track
    End of Double Track ** 15.50 0.50 Double track
    Kilcock 18.75 3.25 No passing loop
    Enfield 26.50 7.75 11.00
    Longwood ** 32.75 6.25 No passing loop
    Hill of Down ** 35.75 3.00 No passing loop
    Killucan ** 41.75 6.00 15.25
    Mullingar 49.75 8.00 8.00
    * The Sligo line is measured from Broadstone Station; the MPs for Dublin Connolly and Drumcondra have been approximated.
    ** Non-station location.

That actually makes little or no case for employing dynamic loops, Victor. They are of benefit on very long sections of track which, let it be said, is rare in Ireland. However the costs incurred in laying and building infrastructure for the long lengths of track they need (Thinking of bridges, embankments and realigned track for a start), the re-signaling of sections to deal with what is effectively a double track combined with fitting suitable points to cope with the faster speeds that trains will access the loops would be better pressed in going the whole hog, which would have better returns as a whole.

there isnt enough traffic to justify full double track. It would be much cheaper to build just one loop where the trains could pass at full speed. Even two or three if necessary would be way cheaper than full double track

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,295 ✭✭✭n97 mini

Anyone can use the motorways. The railways are at the mercy of one state-owned company.

• Advertisement

there isnt enough traffic to justify full double track. It would be much cheaper to build just one loop where the trains could pass at full speed. Even two or three if necessary would be way cheaper than full double track

That's my whole point; it actually isn't much cheaper to install these loops compared to laying conventional double track and they don't offer enough benefit to improve service times, all told. To work best, they need to be quite long and with higher speed points; these do cost a lot more to install plus .
    Granted they will offer more crossing points but the current traffic levels are not causing much hassle on most lines and with stations fairly close to each other as a rule, the current crossing loops are adequate.

No they arent because the big problem with single lines comes when one train is late and the opposing train has to wait for it to clear a section, and maybe the train has failed in the section, in which case they will both be sat for a long time. With a dynamic loop of 3 to 10 miles, there is a buffer zone which can absorb a certain degree of lateness so that perhaps the opposing train wont be delayed too.

No they arent because the big problem with single lines comes when one train is late and the opposing train has to wait for it to clear a section, and maybe the train has failed in the section, in which case they will both be sat for a long time.

With a dynamic loop of, there is a buffer zone which can absorb a certain degree of lateness so that perhaps the opposing train wont be delayed too.

For trains to use crossovers/points at speed, they need to be of a far higher quality, size and layout than conventional points. These cost far more as a result than the average crossover and require longer install times as well.

The next issue, that of the distances in the loops is their noose. If a loop is 3 miles long, a train doing a modest 40MPH needs around 5 minutes to cover the loop. Add on time for adequate braking distances at either end for protecting signals and your closer to 7 minutes. With a traditional looping point, a train on the main line can keep up close to full speed; a double line affects neither. If you extend the loops to the 10 miles you suggest, this is close enough to the distances between the majority of stations on single line track, once you bring the length of current loops into the equation. For marginally more outlay you enhance up and down lines.

Lastly, train failures occur more often for track/point failures than engine failures. Increasing dependence on loops and points with higher speed trains can increase the chance of services and as such is asking for trouble.

I'm not denying that more crossing points are not needed; just that dynamic loops are not the golden horde. If they were, they would be a lot more common worldwide than they currently are.

but if you have your dynamic loop between two stations you actually reduce the numbers of points because you have eliminated one loop altogether. There is no need for high speed facing (or trailing) points as (In an Irish application) the train would be stopping at the stations at either end of the loop anyway, and possibly at one at an intermedaiate point. The saving in time comes from not having to wait for a n approaching ,possibly late, train/

To fully double track a line such as the likely candidates in Ireland would make the whole project not viable.

(an example would be the Waterloo to Exeter line in the UK

but if you have your dynamic loop between two stations you actually reduce the numbers of points because you have eliminated one loop altogether. There is no need for high speed facing (or trailing) points as (In an Irish application) the train would be stopping at the stations at either end of the loop anyway, and possibly at one at an intermedaiate point. The saving in time comes from not having to wait for a n approaching ,possibly late, train.

Sure, all you have just described there is double track between two stations;)

exactly, what else would a dynamic loop be , unless you want one NOT between two stations?
    There still is no case to double track the entire line, for the cost of that youtr could add long loops on several lines

exactly, what else would a dynamic loop be , unless you want one NOT between two stations?

So it's not a double line from station a to station, it's actually a loop? :confused: Oooookkkkkkayyyyyy :rolleyes:
    There still is no case to double track the entire line, for the cost of that youtr could add long loops on several lines

Nor is there a solid case for dynamic loops, which as I have stated to you several times are not good bang for the buck nor are they as feasible as you reckon. But it's not sinking in with you so there's no point in debating this with you.

I dont really understand what you are saying.Double track between stations and a dynamic loop are essentailly the same thing. Im not suggesting you have double track between EVERY station, just at a strategic point or points en route.

I was under the impression you were advocating double tracking the entire length of a line rather than one or more elongated loops that would enable trains to cross en route rather than AT a station, which would involve possibly one of them having to wait for the other.

Its no good you saying they arent good VFM without saying WHY. They would allow more flexibilty and improved timekeeping at the smallest cost. If you replace two loops with one long one, you arent incurring any huge signalling or trackwork costs,so HOW are they not good VFM?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

I dont really understand what you are saying.Double track between stations and a dynamic loop are essentailly the same thing. Im not suggesting you have double track between EVERY station, just at a strategic point or points en route.

I was under the impression you were advocating double tracking the entire length of a line rather than one or more elongated loops that would enable trains to cross en route rather than AT a station, which would involve possibly one of them having to wait for the other.

Its no good you saying they arent good VFM without saying WHY. They would allow more flexibilty and improved timekeeping at the smallest cost. If you replace two loops with one long one, you arent incurring any huge signalling or trackwork costs,so HOW are they not good VFM?

Dynamic loops between stations seems like pretty good value for money to me. Double tracking Galway- Athenry, Tullamore - Athlone, and Athy - Bagnalstown would practically eliminate the need to wait for crossing trains on intercity journeys, at a fraction of the cost of doubling whole lines.
    Couple this with raising the line speed of Heuston to Portlaise form the current 70/80/90mph mix, to a consistent 100mph, and you could get substantial journey time reductions for relatively small outlay.

All the networks speed restrictions are available here:https://www.irishrail.ie/upload/IE_Network_Statement_2011.pdf for the interested.

I was going to make a new thread about this but I said I will just put it in here. It probably relates to signaling some way or another anyway.

I have noticed that around where I live and pretty much every other railway crossing Ive come across in Ireland comes down at least 5 minutes before the train passes. Why is it so inefficient and time consuming? In most other countries it comes down less than a minute or even less than 30 seconds before the train passes. I think its ridiculous the amount of time we have to spend waiting at crossings here.

Examples of other countries, America & Japan.

• Advertisement
Advertisement