Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it too early to build up a bank of grass?

• 06-08-2011 2:55pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As title says do you think its too early to start building up a grass bank for extended grazing?

I still have some silage to cut, 10 acs approx. I don't normally make second cut but doing it this year because maize isn't looking too good. I reckon next week might be right time to blanket spred about a bag of CAN per acre, any comments welcome?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

i spread 40 acres yesterday ,with 1 bag of 27-2.5 -5 ,i still have 60 to spread and will wait another while before doing it,but i think its time to start but not sure about spreading all the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 464 ✭✭case 956

all depends on stocking rate, if stocked over 3 cows/ha, i would be inclined to start building from the 10th on. on spreading manure i would be inclined to spread a bag now around the 15th and another bag on the grazing block around the 10th sept. with current growth rates i would wait another 10 days before i start building. that my opinion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,343 ✭✭✭bob charles

way too early, at least a month I would say, We are still whacking on N full rate and will so up until the deadline. just aim to have the farm resembling the run up on a cricket pitch during winter

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I agree its a hard one to judge, leg wax's way of splitting it 40;60 makes sense. I'm stocked at just over 2.8 LU/ha(without the silage ground) and have a lot of clover so will probably go on silage ground where there is less clover first.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

now is the time to start building up covers as growth rates fall off from now on, the only difference is the action needed to provide a bank of grass for late autumn, on farms where demand is 50kgs/hect and above more feeding and fertilizer is required below that and it can be done quite easily by closing off portion of ground fertilizing it with 50-60 units of pasture/cut sward and leaving it till mid-sept and grazing it then this will give a boost to the rest of the farm, (not recommended on heavy or undrained ground).

• Advertisement
Advertisement