Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can anyone explain this, new 50 meg UPC install.

• 06-08-2011 3:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭

I have just installed a bundle this week which includes 50 meg BB, but I cannot work out if I am getting the right speeds. I have run four different speedtests from four different sources, as can be seen below.

I am testing using two different laptops, but while I did buy some N grade, USB adapters, I have not set them up yet. So, I am running speedtest wirelessly, not wired, and know I will probably loose a little bit due to not using a wired ethernet cable.

Check these out....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

And the last one.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sudsy86

Cant see your pics from here so cant see what speeds ur gettings...

Try speedtest.magnet.ie

Also most G wireless USB adapter if thats what ur using currently max out at 32Mb down...If its inbult could be slightly higher so i would say try checking the speeds directly connected and if these speeds are fine intall the N class USB and see how u get on...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

A wireless connection, whether n or g, is no way to measure speed. Connect via cable and run it then. That's the only way to get a real speed check.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

two of those speedtests show you getting about 99% of 50mbps and two of them don't. which means that even wirelessly you're doing very well. :)

all that means is that the two that don't aren't able to provide enough upload bandwidth on their end to fully measure your download speed.

i have 100mbps from UPC, with 7mbps upload. i could set up a speedtest server on my 100mbps connection and send you the link (if i could be arsed, but i can't, i'm just using it as an example) but the fastest speed you'd get on the download speedtest would be 7mbps give or take, because when you run the download part of the speedtest i'd be uploading a test file to you so my 7mbps upload would be a bottleneck in the speedtest.

all it means is that blacknight need a faster internet connection. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sudsy86

BlackKnight needs to get on He-man

Uh

I mean Heanet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Sudsy86 wrote: »
    BlackKnight needs to get on He-man

Uh

I mean Heanet
    not to be confused with he-sheladyboy.net, that's something entirely different altogether! :eek:

Ran the speedtest with speedtest.net, using an ethernet cable and got 37meg down and 6meg up at 5pm in the evening.

Any way of squeezing a bit more out of it or is that normal for 50meg BB?

Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Ran the speedtest with speedtest.net, using an ethernet cable and got 37meg down and 6meg up at 5pm in the evening.

Any way of squeezing a bit more out of it or is that normal for 50meg BB?

Thanks

But which server were you testing against - does the UPC speedtest show it at 37?
    How are you managing to get 6mb up if you are on the 50/5 package.

Dont know how I am getting 6. I have even seen 7. I tested using speedtest.net.

Will run again tonight using upc speed test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 799 ✭✭✭MR DAZ

Dont test upc broadband on speedtest.net..it gives false readings.

Test it on upc.ie or if you want a third party use speedtest.magnet.ie

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 Giraffe Giraffe

MR DAZ wrote: »

Its funny because those 2 are among the worst speedtests that make huge assumptions when recording the speed and as a result are more likely to give what your speed should be rather than what it currently is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Its funny because those 2 are among the worst speedtests that make huge assumptions when recording the speed and as a result are more likely to give what your speed should be rather than what it currently is.

You do realize that the upc speedtest site uses the same type of software as speedtest.net? Its made by the same company and all.

To the OP the only relaible way to test your download speed is to download a linux ISO off heanet.ie

http://ftp.heanet.ie/disk1/ubuntu-cdimage/daily-live/20110816/oneiric-desktop-powerpc.iso See what is the maximum speed you get downloading this file and post back here :)

Trevor451 wrote: »
    You do realize that the upc speedtest site uses the same type of software as speedtest.net? Its made by the same company and all.

To the OP the only relaible way to test your download speed is to download a linux ISO off heanet.ie

http://ftp.heanet.ie/disk1/ubuntu-cdimage/daily-live/20110816/oneiric-desktop-powerpc.iso See what is the maximum speed you get downloading this file and post back here :)

Ok, did that plugged in directly with an ethernet cable.

It showed steady 3.8 MB/s saw it hit 3.9 once or twice and 4.0 briefly.

Is this ok for a 50meg connection?

Thanks in advance.

MR DAZ wrote: »

UPC.IE shows 49.25meg and 4.95 up via cable

Magnet shows the same.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/1439329907.png

Advertisement