Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Phone Line

Options
  • 06-08-2011 3:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

From the eircom website.

How much does it cost to connect?

In–situ: If your home previously had an eircom home phoneline, all line work is in place and you wish to reconnect, the connection charge will be FREE (worth €24.99)
    Pre–cabled: If your home has never had an eircom phoneline but all line work is in place, the connection charge will be FREE (worth €49.99)
    Standard: If your home has never had an eircom phoneline, or all line work is not in place, the connection charge will be FREE (worth €121.93)

Once your order is placed you will receive an e-mail advising what the connection cost will be.

Quick query. Is a completely new line free or not. I was in the processes of ordering but was getting charges €121 for connection fee with a broadband bundle. The website statement seems to contradict itself.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

A completely new line is free ( even if you already have a substandard old line) unless eircom estimate it will cost €7000 or more to provide it. Don't give a phone number, just an email address. Get everything in writing!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 devoidsolid

Thanks Sponge Bob. When you go to place an order the price is higher than the bundle price and it says that the bundle price will be applied/ adjusted later. It said I had to pay €121 for connection, so they may adjust this later also. Not very clear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

From the eircom website.

How much does it cost to connect?

In–situ: If your home previously had an eircom home phoneline, all line work is in place and you wish to reconnect, the connection charge will be FREE (worth €24.99)
    Pre–cabled: If your home has never had an eircom phoneline but all line work is in place, the connection charge will be FREE (worth €49.99)
    Standard: If your home has never had an eircom phoneline, or all line work is not in place, the connection charge will be FREE (worth €121.93)

Once your order is placed you will receive an e-mail advising what the connection cost will be.

Quick query. Is a completely new line free or not. I was in the processes of ordering but was getting charges €121 for connection fee with a broadband bundle. The website statement seems to contradict itself.

Hi devoidsolid,

I can confirm eircom have a promotion running until December where all phone line connections inclusing new instalations will be free of charge.

Thanks, Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 9 devoidsolid

Hi devoidsolid,

I can confirm eircom have a promotion running until December where all phone line connections inclusing new instalations will be free of charge.

Thanks, Mark

That's great. Thank you for your help.

That's great. Thank you for your help.

No problem :)

Mark

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

Hi devoidsolid,

Thanks, Mark

Here is our experience of the "free" connection.

We tried to get connected there recently, we were told by the agent when we first rang up it would be about 10 days and usually it would be less. Sounds great...

It took 2 seperate orders, 2 seperate direct debit mandates, 2 internal complaints, numerous phonecalls to unhelpful staff to no avail......(Order placed on July 1st!!!!!) which really bordered on the ridiculous. They cancelled our first contract over the phone and then advised us we would have to resubmit a new order, new contract and new direct debit mandate and that order would sit at the "bottom of the pile". The install date got pushed out by the sales team to October 27th.

We were fobbed off by numerous excuses from there being no cables in the estate to eircom needing planning permission to lay cables. It was a new house in a new part of an existing estate.. but the builder had all the cables down.. even so confident was he that he even had new tarmac over the road. House was wired for it. The other giveaway was that our neighbours had phones.

I cannot even relate via the english language the sheer frustration of dealing with rude sales staff & unhelpful complaints staff that simply wouldnt listen to us for the guts of a month.

The best one was being refused to speak to be a manager in the complaints dept. The customer complaints guy telling us that he was "in charge"... as a result our complaint was marked resolved and when we went to query it, as we still had no service, we were told we could open a new complaint.. madness.

Within a week of contacting ComReg after putting in the unsuccessful internal complaint with Eircom we finally got a connection today. It boiled to them being enabling the line from their end and then sending out a technician to replace a dodgey socket - no sign of the diggers or the site notices.

I must give credit to the guy in eircom that was tasked with handling the comreg complaint, once he got on the case he managed to do what the entire sales and complaints depts had failed to do in a month. Returned calls when he should have, provided with us updates basically got the job done. Overall he was excellent.

It is ridiculous that it even had to go to comreg in the first place.

If there was a company that we could have paid to have installed the lot for us we would have paid whatever they wanted rather than endure the hassle of recent weeks.

TonyStark wrote: »
    Here is our experience of the "free" connection.

We tried to get connected there recently, we were told by the agent when we first rang up it would be about 10 days and usually it would be less. Sounds great...

It took 2 seperate orders, 2 seperate direct debit mandates, 2 internal complaints, numerous phonecalls to unhelpful staff to no avail......(Order placed on July 1st!!!!!) which really bordered on the ridiculous. They cancelled our first contract over the phone and then advised us we would have to resubmit a new order, new contract and new direct debit mandate and that order would sit at the "bottom of the pile". The install date got pushed out by the sales team to October 27th.

We were fobbed off by numerous excuses from there being no cables in the estate to eircom needing planning permission to lay cables. It was a new house in a new part of an existing estate.. but the builder had all the cables down.. even so confident was he that he even had new tarmac over the road. House was wired for it. The other giveaway was that our neighbours had phones.

I cannot even relate via the english language the sheer frustration of dealing with rude sales staff & unhelpful complaints staff that simply wouldnt listen to us for the guts of a month.

The best one was being refused to speak to be a manager in the complaints dept. The customer complaints guy telling us that he was "in charge"... as a result our complaint was marked resolved and when we went to query it, as we still had no service, we were told we could open a new complaint.. madness.

Within a week of contacting ComReg after putting in the unsuccessful internal complaint with Eircom we finally got a connection today. It boiled to them being enabling the line from their end and then sending out a technician to replace a dodgey socket - no sign of the diggers or the site notices.

I must give credit to the guy in eircom that was tasked with handling the comreg complaint, once he got on the case he managed to do what the entire sales and complaints depts had failed to do in a month. Returned calls when he should have, provided with us updates basically got the job done. Overall he was excellent.

It is ridiculous that it even had to go to comreg in the first place.

If there was a company that we could have paid to have installed the lot for us we would have paid whatever they wanted rather than endure the hassle of recent weeks.

Hi TonyStark,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you had getting set up. Can you PM me with your telephone number or order number and I can look into the history for you.

Thanks, Mark

Hi TonyStark,

Sorry to hear about the trouble you had getting set up. Can you PM me with your telephone number or order number and I can look into the history for you.

Thanks, Mark

Sure, since we were given two different order numbers. I've pm'd you our telephone number.

Sure, since we were given two different order numbers. I've pm'd you our telephone number.

Hi TonyStark,

Glad to hear the technican was out to connect the line after a failed electronic connection and after your previous order was cancelled.

I have logged the issue on a case in detail, so if you have an problems with the line or ordering broadband let me know and I will chase that up for you.

Thanks, Mark

Hi TonyStark,

Glad to hear the technican was out to connect the line after a failed electronic connection and after your previous order was cancelled.

I have logged the issue on a case in detail, so if you have an problems with the line or ordering broadband let me know and I will chase that up for you.

Thanks, Mark

I seriously doubt we will be ordering any additional services from Eircom at this moment in time, based on the above experience. A basic landline is enough for the moment.

In relation to broadband, UPC have our custom at the moment and we are quite happy with it. In fact when they failed to honour install appointments in winter for an install (due to the bad weather) they provided us with a suitable gesture of goodwill for the inconvienence caused.

Thanks again for taking the time to respond.

• Advertisement

I seriously doubt we will be ordering any additional services from Eircom at this moment in time, based on the above experience. A basic landline is enough for the moment.

In relation to broadband, UPC have our custom at the moment and we are quite happy with it. In fact when they failed to honour install appointments in winter for an install (due to the bad weather) they provided us with a suitable gesture of goodwill for the inconvienence caused.

Thanks, Mark

Thanks, Mark

Thanks, Mark

Hi Mark,

Amazing how quickly a bills can be posted. As I said in the previous post our installation took well over a month, without explanation.

Quite disappointed to find that we got bill today with 2 months line rental included.. if eircom fails to install a line within 10 working days of eircom agreement to do so the customer can claim a credit of two months free line rental. Even if you were to take into the second order we were compelled to place by your sales team manage it still was well over 10 days.

Would it be possible to get an explanation why this is on the bill, seeing as it was only an 'electronic setup' (your words) and no cables etc had to be laid?

From the comreg website:
    If eircom fails to install a line within 10 working days of eircom agreement to do so the customer can claim a credit of two months free line rental.

Thanks,

T

Hi Mark,

Amazing how quickly a bills can be posted. As I said in the previous post our installation took well over a month, without explanation.

Quite disappointed to find that we got bill today with 2 months line rental included.. if eircom fails to install a line within 10 working days of eircom agreement to do so the customer can claim a credit of two months free line rental. Even if you were to take into the second order we were compelled to place by your sales team manage it still was well over 10 days.

Would it be possible to get an explanation why this is on the bill, seeing as it was only an 'electronic setup' (your words) and no cables etc had to be laid?

From the comreg website:

Thanks,

T

Hi TonyStark,

There was a credit issued for two months line rental today:

A 17/08/11 01 €41.92 GEN. ACC. €41.92 17/08/11
    QRY RMKS: EXP - 2 MTHS LINE RNTL AS GWG - DELAYED INSTALL / CCM
    EXP - 2 MTHS LINE RNTL AS GWG - DELAYED INSTALL / CCM

So it will be credited on your next bill.

Thanks, Mark

Hi TonyStark,

There was a credit issued for two months line rental today:

A 17/08/11 01 €41.92 GEN. ACC. €41.92 17/08/11
    QRY RMKS: EXP - 2 MTHS LINE RNTL AS GWG - DELAYED INSTALL / CCM
    EXP - 2 MTHS LINE RNTL AS GWG - DELAYED INSTALL / CCM

So it will be credited on your next bill.

Thanks, Mark

Thanks again for your your help!

No worries :)

Mark

No worries :)

Mark

Sorry Mark, just reading the bill there. What about the VAT on the line rental? presumably we will be credited that back as well?

It would be unfair to have that money leave out account this month, as it's on a direct debit and not be refunded it.

Technically speaking it would not be two months 'free' line rental if the VAT is taken for and also not in line with ComReg policy on a two month rebate if we are at a monetary loss because of VAT.

Sorry Mark, just reading the bill there. What about the VAT on the line rental? presumably we will be credited that back as well?

It would be unfair to have that money leave out account this month, as it's on a direct debit and not be refunded it.

Technically speaking it would not be two months 'free' line rental if the VAT is taken for and also not in line with ComReg policy on a two month rebate if we are at a monetary loss because of VAT.

Any update on ~€10 in VAT that we will never see again?

Any update on ~€10 in VAT that we will never see again?

Hi TonyStark,

The €41.92 is credit excluding Vat, so when the the credit is deducted of the the total of your bill.

Vat is the calculated on the ammount after the crecit is duducted.

Thanks, Mark

Hi TonyStark,

The €41.92 is credit excluding Vat, so when the the credit is deducted of the the total of your bill.

Vat is the calculated on the ammount after the crecit is duducted.

Thanks, Mark

So we pay for the first two months line rental and then the following 2 months will be taken care of by the credit.

• Advertisement

So we pay for the first two months line rental and then the following 2 months will be taken care of by the credit.

Hi TonyStark,

That would the simplest way rather tan letting the current bill carry forward. so the line rental on your next bill will be covered by the credit.

Thanks, Mark

Advertisement