Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cold Finger food For A Party

Options
  • 06-08-2011 3:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭

Hi
    I’m looking for cold finger food ideas for a 21st party. There will be about 200 :eek: people at the party and I have got a local chipper to supply some hot food. I’m going to do a selection of sandwiches. Just looking for other simple cold food ideas that can be prepared in advance.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭smiles302

Cake pops
    Cup cakes
    Cookies
    Salad
    Bruschetta
    Macarons

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭happyfeet22

smiles302 wrote: »
    Cake pops
    Cup cakes
    Cookies
    Salad
    Bruschetta
    Macarons

Thanks for the suggestions the cookies and Bruschetta are possibilities, any recipes?

Had thought about salad but i'm trying to avoid using plates and cutlery as the venue is a pub and it will be fairly full so i think just a platter of stuff that can be passed around would be best.

I Love cake pops but they take too long to make plus i have a ridiculousness large cake.

Oreo stuffed cookies are amazingly huge and a party favourite that tends to shock people a bit haha

http://irishwishesarespecial.blogspot.com/2011/05/oreo-stuffed-cookies.html

Or peanut butter and chocolate chip cookies taste practically like snickers while being less giant

http://irishwishesarespecial.blogspot.com/2011/05/happiness-is.html

Or these make the most perfect simply chocolate chip cookies

http://cogitoergoconsume.blogspot.com/2011/07/bribe-cookies.html

And Bruschetta I find it best to search tastespotting..

http://www.tastespotting.com/search/Bruschetta/1

I can never chose which kind looks the nicest :D

Oreo cookies !!! Why have I never heard these before, think they maybe a bit big for the party, going to make them tomorrow though just to be sure ;) think I will make mini versions of the others.

Amazing bruschetta recipes in your link!! Oh how to choose. The only thing is would they go soggy they will be prepared about 8 - 10 hours in advance and stored in a fridge at the venue?

You need to go try oreo cookies. It's very difficult to eat more than one tho, they are heavy. :D I love dense short-bread like cookies, use less butter if you want a more cookie-cookie.

I'd make the topping in advance. Probably even just leave a bowl of toppings next to cut bread. You'll always have the one or two people at a party who really want plain buttered bread.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

I don't think bruschetta would work at all. Even if you didn't pre-top them, the bread itself would be gone soft & cold. Bruschetta should be served on freshly toasted ciabatta/sourdough.

OP, I've dug out my Darina Allen "Easy Entertaining" book and I think the following might suit (there's a whole chapter on finger food but a lot of it would be incredibly difficult to do for your numbers):

- bocconcini (mini mozzarella balls, you can get them in Aldi), olives, semi sun-dried tomatoes & pesto skewers

- sticky sausage wraps

You could also do an antipasti platter, maybe make (or buy) a few loaves of lovely brown bread, hummous & crudites, smoked salmon, hard-boiled eggs. If the hot food is coming from the chipper, I'd keep the cold stuff as light and fresh as possible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

* Hummus and vegetable tray

* Fruit and cheese platter.

* Nachos with salsa and guacamole for dipping.

* A few bowls of mixed nuts

Although I think for 200 people you might be better off making large pans of salads and providing small disposable plates and cutlery.

I think your right bruschetta won’t work. Like the idea of the bocconcini so that’s on the list. thank you

Hummus and vegetable tray.

Fruit and cheese platter.

Are also now on the list thanks for those,

The chipper food is going to be chips , wages, sausages and chicken wings. Plus I will have a good few sandwiches on trays. The cold food is mainly for older family members and friends who wouldn’t really be into the chips etc. So the cold food is only really for 30 ish. Of course anyone can eat it but I will have it handed to them first.

The granny has never eaten a spicy chicken wing in her life and she wouldn’t even know what a wedge is. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

What about doing a giant fritatta in a baking tray or roasting tin (rectangular in shape). Can just be cut into squares to make it easier to serve. Its really quick to make. Use the slicer option of the blender to speed up cutting the veg.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Dinkie wrote: »
    What about doing a giant fritatta in a baking tray or roasting tin (rectangular in shape). Can just be cut into squares to make it easier to serve. Its really quick to make. Use the slicer option of the blender to speed up cutting the veg.

This is a great idea. Particularly a Spanish one, as the potatoes will make it robust enough to stand up to being transported.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Why not try mini quiche, make them in a muffin or bun tray, they'll keep very well in the fridge.

You could try a stuffed baguette(method here) easy to make ahead of time and will keep well during the party.stuffed-baguette.jpg

Pinwheels would be similar, use wraps rather than bread, fill with whatever you prefer, wrap with cling and chill then slice diagonally and serve on a plate.

Pesto bites would be easy too, either make your own dough or take the easier option of buying some pre-made in the supermarket. Roll out your dough, spread pesto on it, roll up, slice into rounds and bake. Puff pastry is fantastic for this. You can make pizza pinwheels in the same way, spread tomato sauce on the pastry and your toppings then roll cut and bake.

You can also make cheese twists from puff pastry, brush with beaten egg and sprinkle with grated cheese, slice into strips and twist them then bake. Leave some without cheese too, just sprinkle a little coarse salt on top.

You really can't go wrong with vol au vonts either, so easy to make them ahead and then fill a few hours before serving(pour your filling into a strong plastic bag and cut the corner off to fill the vol au vents cases, so much easier and no mess!!) Smoked salmon and cream cheese is a traditional crowd pleaser, as is chicken and mushroom(use a packet of mushroom soup just make it up with less liquid), or chicken tikka.

(I've just realised I have somewhat of a spiral/circle obsession :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Cold sausage rolls are fine.

Chicken and mushroom vol au vents.

Smoked Salmon and Brown bread with lemon wedges (covered in clingfil) work fine also.

Edit - Quiche is perfectly good cold also

Just want to thank everyone for their replies you have all been so helpful :)
    Dinkie wrote: »

Had to look that one up :D But it looks perfect any recipe recommendations?
    shinikins wrote: »
    Why not try mini quiche, make them in a muffin or bun tray, they'll keep very well in the fridge. . . .

Was thinking about mini quiche / tartlet recipes that can be served cold. Can anyone recommend any recipes? It would be really easy to make a large batch as I could make and shape the pastry the night before and it wouldn’t take long to cook and fill them
    vicwatson wrote: »
    Cold sausage rolls are fine.

Chicken and mushroom vol au vents.

Smoked Salmon and Brown bread with lemon wedges (covered in clingfil) work fine also.

Edit - Quiche is perfectly good cold also

Would Vol au Vents work or would they go soggy if sitting in a fridge all day?

also Dose anyone know where i can get mini vol au vents i know you can get small ones jus roll ones but i would link them smaller

Advertisement