Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ground lime

• 06-08-2011 3:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭

Is it possible to get ground lime in meter bags like sand etc? Would there be a ton in them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

Don't know but I got a tonne of granualated lime in 50kg bags last week.€155 a tonne, supposed to be much more effective than ground lime, which someway overcomes the cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

Figerty wrote: »
    Don't know but I got a tonne of granualated lime in 50kg bags last week.€155 a tonne, supposed to be much more effective than ground lime, which someway overcomes the cost.

Supposed is a dangerous word in many a statement (unquantifiable).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

johngalway wrote: »
    Is it possible to get ground lime in meter bags like sand etc? Would there be a ton in them?

i wouldnt think so john as it wouldnt keep too well in bags, but if you pick up one of the bags and fill it at the quarry im sure they would load it for you .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

mossfort wrote: »
    i wouldnt think so john as it wouldnt keep too well in bags

It doesn't go off does it? Isn't it just fine limestone sand from ground limestone rock?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 609 ✭✭✭mossfort

LostCovey wrote: »
    It doesn't go off does it? Isn't it just fine limestone sand from ground limestone rock?

no it doesn`t go off but if it was left in bags out in the elements in a builders providers it would be a mess for getting out of the bag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Figerty

http://www.teagasc.ie/publications/2010/20100910a/AdviceOnLiming.pdf

Granulated Lime
    Granulated lime (ground limestone with 100% less than
    0.1mm fi neness in granular form) 125kg per ha may be
    considered equivalent to 370kg per ha of standard limestone.
    It is very effective at increasing soil pH quickly but it is
    expensive, and is most useful when the lime requirement is
    moderate. Because it can be applied by the normal fertilizer
    application equipment, it is normally used annually to
    maintain the desired soil pH.

Well, sure if Teagasc can't be definitive, how can I be sure!
    funny man wrote: »
    Supposed is a dangerous word in many a statement (unquantifiable).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭funny man

this is a comparison with standard ground, there is some companies doing very fine material, all depends on how fine the ground lime is, granular lime is ok for rented ground or a quick fix for acidic ground but for own ground with ph above 5.5 ground lime wins out all day long.

gran 125kg = €19/hect
    ground 370kg= €9.6/hect and thats spread

Advertisement