Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Frizzy hair, spots and coldsore..wonderful

• 06-08-2011 4:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭

So I'm going out tonight and I look like Ugly Betty :(

My hair is naturally very thick and curly but it's usually quite frizzy too so my first question is how do people with curly/wavy thick hair successfully straighten it? Should I attempt to blowdry it straight or just dry it and GHD it this evening? I don't usually straighten my hair a lot as it takes so long and never turns out the way I imagine it! Any tips?

My second question is does anybody have any tips on making a cold sore less obvious?! My first one in years so of course it would have to be huge and very noticeable :rolleyes:

This is coupled with a sudden outbreak of spots :( what do ya'll do when it's the weekend and you wanna feel prettyful but when you look in the mirror you'd rather just hop back into the bed! :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 304 ✭✭Bubs99

First of all...
    I know exactly how you feel about frizzy hair. I have long, thick, naturally wavy/volumised hair (that is now turning very grey and Im only 27).

It has taken me years to try find the right products to calm the fly aways and sticking up frizzy bits. I was only called "pubic head"!

Here goes, this is what I do. I cannot use a hair dryer because I look like a banshee after (hair stylists do it great though).
    I also dont straighten or curl my hair often, maybe once a month because I want to prevent damage. In my opinion, so many women have seriously ruined their hair by frequently doing all of the above.

So, the only way I can have the perfect glossy hair for a function etc. is by washing it the night before and going to bed with it wet/damp.

I ALWAYS leave my hair naturally dry and I have another few rules too, NEVER ever towel dry your hair because the rubbing against will tear the hair. Always use a wide tooth comb to comb it wet or after you condition it.
    It makes such a difference for me.
    I also found a good conditioner recently, Pantene repair conditioner, its the GOLD one. Leave it in the hair for atleast 3 mins before rinsing. I use head and shoulders dry/damaged.
    I find tresemme good too.
    I suggest you wash your hair the night before in future, then later that evening (the day your going out), straighten it if you want. Mine has been healthily glossy for 3 days now after I straightened it for a do a few days ago. I love it.

About the coldsore, ive never had one, sorry but I do recommend you use sudocream as a spot concealer. Its brilliant. and I only use powder mineral foundation, not cream.
    Also, after you wash your face daily, use aloe vera over your face as a moisturiser which also naturally prevents spots.

Good Luck!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,598 ✭✭✭boomkatalog

Ok there isn't much you can do for a coldsore, if you put makeup over it you'd probably just make it worse.

For spots, I recommend a green concealer under your foundation, the essence pallet is pretty good and so cheap!

As for your hair, I'vebeen going through this lazy phase lately of washing my hair and putting some mousse in it when its wet and scrunching. It drives kinda messy bed-head, but doesn't just look like my hairbrush has done a runner :pac: If you have any mousse products I'd recommend trying that out. If not, updos are really cute with the right neckline, you could always style it in a ponytail and curl the end, or tie it half up and leave some down.

Best of luck with your date :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 276 ✭✭MarthaMyDear

Thanks guys! Hair looked slightly acceptable but cold sore is ten times worse today!

C'est la vie!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

Thanks guys! Hair looked slightly acceptable but cold sore is ten times worse today!

C'est la vie!

compeed, they get rid of it faster and stop it spreading,
    if you have coloured hair...dont for the love of god use treseme,
    i like the aussie 3 minute miracle, for softening and de tanglig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭thalia_13

Cant help with hair but for cold sore i'd recommend using surgical spirits to dry it out.
    I used to think compeed were great as you can cover up better with makeup. But I ended up with a monster sore a few months back the wk before my friends birthday. 4 days of compeed it was still there and huge and still all weepy. Had access to surgical spirits dabbed it on a few times during each day. It worked and thankfully it dried it up.

I think drying it up works better than keeping it moist. Next time I got one I just used the spirits and it was gone in a day. I've started taking l lysine every day and if I do get coldsore flare up i'll take major dosage of lysine on those days.
    Hope this is some help. If you cant get surgical spirits, use tcp or cheap aftershave or anything with high alcohol content :-)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭booboo88

thalia_13 wrote: »
    Cant help with hair but for cold sore i'd recommend using surgical spirits to dry it out.
    I used to think compeed were great as you can cover up better with makeup. But I ended up with a monster sore a few months back the wk before my friends birthday. 4 days of compeed it was still there and huge and still all weepy. Had access to surgical spirits dabbed it on a few times during each day. It worked and thankfully it dried it up.

I think drying it up works better than keeping it moist. Next time I got one I just used the spirits and it was gone in a day. I've started taking l lysine every day and if I do get coldsore flare up i'll take major dosage of lysine on those days.
    Hope this is some help. If you cant get surgical spirits, use tcp or cheap aftershave or anything with high alcohol content :-)

thanks for the tip, my mum has that stuff for work :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 296 ✭✭looky loo

cant help with the hair....but best cold sore tip....EVER.....put ice on it as soon as you feel the tingle, keep applying during the day...and always blot dry after you ice....this stops cold sore ever forming.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,547 ✭✭✭Purple Lemons

Condition dry hair, leave on for about 5 minutes.

I have thick thick coarse hair and I feel your pain!

Rinse, shampoo x2, condition again, but only the ends. Rinse THOROUGHLY!

Dry your hair about 90%

Seperate the hair in sections that go from ear to ear and blowdry with a nozzle and barrel brush. If it's really thick then make your sections small, place the brush under the hair close to the roots but make sure the nozzle is pointed downwards so as not to burn your hair. Slowly glide the brush and dryer down the hair, repeat till straight and smooth. Rolling the brush inwards slightly will help hide split ends also.

When you're finished I find it helps to stick the dryer on cold and give your hair a quick blast while brushing it with a normal hairbrush.

You can use a straightners after if you wish but if you do it right you won't need to :)

Hope this helps even just a little

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

As soon as you feel the coldsore tingle get some kind of product on it! I use Zovirax or Caramex. Once the coldsore has formed, that's it, there it is! I use Sudocrem to dry it out when it's on it's way out. As for concealing, if I'm desperate, I'll try patch it with concealer and then use a neutral lipstick, and go heavy/dramatic on the eye make up to draw the attention away from it!

For the hair, if I'm straightening I blow dry it first (usually I'm a scrunch and go girl) then use the straightner. I find it's easier than working with my normal curls. To keep it in line I sometimes use John Freida Spun Gold Balm. Meant for blondes, but if your hair is dark I'm sure he has a similar product.

Advertisement