Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Merc NCT suspension imbalance HELP

Options
  • 06-08-2011 4:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi all my 2007 E200 sport just failed it first NCT:confused:
    Susoension Front Near 40Mm Off 61Mm Imbalance 34% limit 30%
    Can You tell me what work needs to be done to fix this?
    Do both sides need work?
    Any idea if it is a big job/Cost?
    Many thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,347 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

2 new shock absorbers, one each side.
    if your car has an advanced suspension setup, it could be far more complicated but seeing as its a 200, its probably on a basic enough setup.
    Is it a high mile car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Newtons Cousin

Thanks
    There is 28 000 miles on the car
    it is meant to have a "sports" trim-twin exhaust 19inch alloys not sure about suspension??

Any idea of costs?
    Can you recommend someone -I'm northside dublin?

Thanks
    There is 28 000 miles on the car
    it is meant to have a "sports" trim-twin exhaust 19inch alloys not sure about suspension??

Any idea of costs?
    Can you recommend someone -I'm northside dublin?

No way should you have that kind of problem at 28k miiles.
    Did you own the car from new? Did it hit any severe potholes that might have damaged the suspension? any other damage?

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭Basil Fawlty

Nothing suprising about it needing shocks, or any suspension components. Irish roads are in a terrible state, and most suburban roads are covered in speed bumps that most people dont slow down for.

About 15k miles when I bought it-No major potholes no other damage.

Is it a big job? Cost?
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Nothing suprising about it needing shocks, or any suspension components. Irish roads are in a terrible state, and most suburban roads are covered in speed bumps that most people dont slow down for.

I reckon most cars out there are on their factory shocks to be honest.

I dont agree with that. Im driving on the worst of mayo roads all my life. Shocks are pretty robust now. Sure you will need bushes, control arms etc but for an E Class merc to need shocks at less that 30k miles seems very odd to me. 30k miles would be less than 6 months driving to many cars.
    About 15k miles when I bought it-No major potholes no other damage.

Is it a big job? Cost?
    Thanks

Not a big job but Ive no idea of cost on your car. Are the original spec shocks available outside of mercedes dealers I wonder?
    You could also just replace the poorer performing side and hope the the other side is still in perfect condition. You should always replace both though really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

Anyone else think the OP missed a 0 on the mileage????

thanks to all posters-just confirm current mileage is 28000 miles.
    would you advise merc shocks or others
    would really appreciate idea about labour time ,costs recommed mechanics -merc dealer or not?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,025 ✭✭✭✭-Corkie-

thanks to all posters-just confirm current mileage is 28000 miles.
    would you advise merc shocks or others
    would really appreciate idea about labour time ,costs recommed mechanics -merc dealer or not?

Nissan Doctor that posts here should be able to give you a down to the cent quote and he is based near you..:)

• Advertisement

thanks
    Yes I am a bit p***off that it failed NCT with such low mileage
    tester said noticed some "weeping"
    Would you all agree best get both shocks replaced?
    still looking for time/cost if anyone can help
    are non merc parts just as good?

Best to replace both, tempting not to when only one is leaking though but still.

Oh right so he saw the leaking shock. At least that rules out an NCT measuring error.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Are you sure OP, that you had a correct tyre pressure during the test on all wheels?
    Difference in tyre pressure, could cause a difference in shocks force measuring.

measured tyres pressures today
    there was a 5.5 psi difference
    do you think this is big enough to cause the 4% 0ver the 30% tolerance
    Tempted to put car through again with workout shocks
    Can garages/mechanics test for isuspension mbalance

what do you think?

If there is a fluid leak from the shock, its fecked. You did mention that there was.

You could try a friendly doe test centre. They might run a test on the front suspension for ya for 20 quid.
    5 psi would likely cause the additional 4% imbalance (which takes you to the fail) but really your car should have little or no imbalance and I wouldnt be happy to be driving it around even with a valid NCT with an imbalance of 25% or whatever. It will get worse too and certainly needs shock(s) if one is leaking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

If you are running 19inch alloys I'm not surprised that there could be wear on a shock, even at that mileage. Your car will have very low profile tyres which will be transfaring all impacts straight to the suspension which will greatly increase the wear.

Shocks should always be replaced in pairs.

Pm sent....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

mickdw wrote: »
    You could try a friendly doe test centre. They might run a test on the front suspension for ya for 20 quid.

Completely nonsense, as retest on NCT costs less than 30, so no point in giving extra 20 for DOE test centre.

I'd chance it once again for NCT with correct air pressure.
    Wouldn't be surprised, if difference has fallen to few %.

And you will know then for sure if you need to change shocks or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭Dilbert75

CiniO wrote: »
    Completely nonsense, as retest on NCT costs less than 30, so no point in giving extra 20 for DOE test centre.

I'd chance it once again for NCT with correct air pressure.
    Wouldn't be surprised, if difference has fallen to few %.

And you will know then for sure if you need to change shocks or not.

Just make sure that, if you do this and fail, you'll still have time to get it fixed and re-retested within the 30 days of the original test or you'll end up having to do, and pay for, a full test again.

Advertisement