Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plumbing problem

• 06-08-2011 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi,
    Recently i've been encountering a problem recently with the plumbing in my house. I got a pump installed a few years ago and since i have been encountering a problem with the water pressure.

Whenever the pump is on the cold water pressure is fine however when i need hot water in the shower i need the bathoom tap open in order for there to be sufficent enough pressure for the hot water to come.

Has anybody else experienced this problem? And if so any tips on how to fix it. Thanks in advance for any help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Is it a twin impellor pump, to pump both the hot and cold? If so, does the pump kick in when you only have the hot water on?

You could have an airlock in the hot pipe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Its the strangest problem i have ever heard off. Can you take photo's of your plumbing especially where the pump isw plumbed in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Its the strangest problem i have ever heard off. Can you take photo's of your plumbing especially where the pump isw plumbed in.

Ah now come on..... you've heard stranger than this surely......:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

There was a similar thread about this recently. See

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=73134205

It's not an unusual problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 225 ✭✭mchammer

sounds like you have low pressure.. for the pump to kick in it needs to detect a certain amount of water flow which will cause the pressure to lower and the pump to kick in. The problem with your shower is that the flow is not enough when you turn on your shower because there is not enough pressure (via gravity) coming from your wherever your water is stored to get the pump to kick in.

next time turn on your shower and instead of turning on the tap for the pump to kick in try lowering the height of the shower head until the pump kicks in.. its not a fix but it explains the problem...;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

possibly connected the tee off the hot water pipe to the pump above the draw off on the expansion pipe rather than first tee off or first tee below the expansion tee and is sucking in air. Not that uncommon if its not piped right. Can you take pics as Joey said please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Sparkpea

maybe what I said doesn't sound great to read perhaps this link will show u what I mean

http://salamanderpumps.co.uk/WebResources/Documents/Installation_Guidelines_Nov_2010_Issue13.pdf

look at fig 1, 2, 3 and read point 11 especially

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Sparkpea wrote: »
    possibly connected the tee off the hot water pipe to the pump above the draw off on the expansion pipe rather than first tee off or first tee below the expansion tee and is sucking in air. Not that uncommon if its not piped right. Can you take pics as Joey said please.

This is what i am thinking. That link above is a good reference for diyers as well.

Advertisement