Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you recommend moving to Australia?

Options
  • 06-08-2011 5:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭

I have a degree in computer science and I have worked in software testing for different contract positions.

I'm also aiming to complete a certificate in web development at the end of this year.

Although I am receiving a few job interviews at home (on average about one every week or so) , the problems is that there's less jobs available and several people out of work so the competition is terrible.

For the last interview that I did, they said I was a good candidate and presented myself really well at the interview, but there was just other candidates with more experience. It's much the same story for other positions.

For those who live in Australia or have worked there before. Do you believe that I have a better chance of securing a job in Australia with the skills and experience that I have?

Should I try to apply for a one year contract for 2012?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

Should I try to apply for a one year contract for 2012?

Yeah sounds like a good idea to me you'd come home with experience that people wouldnt have and it would give you a competitive edge in the market place.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭FeckArseInc

Would I be able to secure a job in my field of 'software testing' or 'web development'?

I don't have any retail or catering experience so I can't just apply to work in a bar.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭population

It is harder to secure professional positions on WHV's but not impossible. You might have to do something else to tide you over while you are putting yourself out there, but if an employer takes you on and likes you then there is always the chance they may sponsor you.

In terms of bar work etc, I never pulled a pint in my life but I did the RSA cert over there and got some barwork out of it. Also delivered fruit and veg as another job and did a stint in a call centre and a warehouse. All jobs I had never ever done before but I had great fun doing them and look back on that haphazard working experience as one of the most enjoyable of my life.

If you want to go, show no fear and go for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 580 ✭✭✭IPushButtons

Hit up the labour hire companies when you get over there you shouldnt have mush drama finding short contracts around the major cities, you'll still have to move to another labour hire company when your first 6 months are up

I pretty sure web development is on the skills list also but im not sure if it is a company might sponsor you and you can just keep working for the one company for as long as you want

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭FeckArseInc

What about an 'Australia Skilled Migration Visa'?

That would be harder to get, but would it make it easier finding an I.T job in my field?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

You won't get a PR visa without experience, the whole will I get a job question is impossible to answer, as so many factors to consider.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭ellaq

You should be prepared to do something else while you chase the IT contracts. I was able to do office work.

I did find it difficult to get decent jobs when I first came here with my degree and limited experience. Some of the jobs paid pretty poorly too. But when I went back to Ireland just having Australian IT experience on my CV opened a lot of doors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

What about an 'Australia Skilled Migration Visa'?

That would be harder to get, but would it make it easier finding an I.T job in my field?

Yes a VISA to live and work in the country where the job is based helps a lot.

I tried a few times to put this without sounding smart.

I know I failed sorry :o

To be fair your post is entitled Moving to Oz but your post seems to state a more temporary stay. This would really stand out in any interview.

As Hussey said we cant tell you if someone here would hire you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

I think work circumstances for some people in Australia could change in the coming months, retail and other sectors have being feeling the pinch and its a case that unemployment could go up.

If that happens the chances of sponsorship, skilled visas and casual work for WHV could diminish.

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭Norinoco

"Should I try to apply for a one year contract for 2012? " - unless you are an Australian resident here - you can't get one.

Sounds like you are looking in to OZ as a last option if you don't get a job.

If your under 30, get yourself a 1 year Working Holiday Visa (WHV), come over and check the place out -- don't look at it as a way to progress in your profession because its not guaranteed.

The best you can hope for on a WHV is two 6 month contracts (6 month limit in 1 job)

On the bright side - I work in the IT sector and its doing pretty well at the moment. The banking sector is recording record profits and if you have financial sector experience then you have an advantage. Contractors oddly enough are more in demand during uncertain times then when the markets are stable.

Check out www.seek.com.au to have a look at demand in your sector and approx rates.

Edit: just to add, an 'Australia Skilled Migration Visa' can take months and a couple of thousand euros. Be sure you want to live here before you commit to the residency route.

• Advertisement
Advertisement