Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Acc close to Parkmore

Options
  • 06-08-2011 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭

I'm moving to Galway next month with my OH and will be working in Parkmore so I want to be based relatively nearby to avoid the morning traffic. From looking at maps - Castlegar, Doughiska, Ballybrit, Tuam Road, Monivea area and Roscam all seem accessible, the only thing I don't want is to be slap bang in the middle of students/a rough area.

Would be great if someone could advise if these areas are good locations for getting to Parkmore and if there are others I have missed out on and maybe advise or PM me the places to avoid!?

Ideally we want an apartment or house for around €750 pcm, that doesn't have the same furnishings as it did in the 70's.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Moved out from another thread about the other side of the city, this way you get more attention.

For ads check the classifieds here http://www.galwayadvertiser.ie/ or here http://www.daft.ie/
    And if you get a so-so place you can always relocate within the city once you're here.
    Check this old thread about the same topic.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭skinandblister

Personally I wouldnt stay in Doughiska it seems to be a rough area from what I've heard, there is student accomodation in Ballybrit beside the Clayton but I've never heard any bad things about the students staying there. Ballybrit is a big place so you could stay there and not be near the student village. Ballybane is near by you could find somewhere nice around there that would be in your budget. Not sure about Castlegar as I dont no anybody living out there. You could always find accomodation in Parkmore itself, not sure what it would be like price wise.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Personally I wouldnt stay in Doughiska it seems to be a rough area from what I've heard, there is student accomodation in Ballybrit beside the Clayton but I've never heard any bad things about the students staying there. Ballybrit is a big place so you could stay there and not be near the student village. Ballybane is near by you could find somewhere nice around there that would be in your budget. Not sure about Castlegar as I dont no anybody living out there. You could always find accomodation in Parkmore itself, not sure what it would be like price wise.

Hmm ... I'm not sure you've spent much time in the neighbourhood skinandblister!

OP, will you be travelling to work by car, or using public transport? If you'll be using the bus, then you want to look at Doughiska or Roscam, or even Renmore (the non-student bit at the north end). Avoid Ballybrit, Ballybrit, Castlegar and Monivea Rd: they're all close, but the public transport links don't suit Parkmore at all.

Second, even if you'll be going to work by car, do you want to participate in Galway city's famous cultural / artistic / social / party life? Do you want to be able to get in to town without needing the car, and to be within a reasonable taxi ride home (my definition of reasonable: taxi fare worth the same as 2 - 3 pints). If so, same advice as above.

If neither of those thing matter to you, then any of the areas mentioned should be fine. ALL of them have some slightly rougher spots, but they're pretty easily sussed when you look at the properties. Doughiska is hugh, covers LOTS of estates, some of them very nice, middle class places. Students on the east side of town tend to hang out in Ballybane, Mervue and the south of Renmore, and their neighbourhoods are pretty easily spotted.

Re the age of furniture: I cannot speak for other areas, but virtually all of Doughiska/Roscam was still farmland in 2000 (and 1970!) so if you're looking there you'll be fine.

Re prices: negotiate.

And in a shameless plug: if you want any info about the bus-services etc, check www.GalwayTransport.info

Enjoy, hope the move goes well for you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭EverEvolving

Thanks for the info guys. Mary - love the website!

Have been looking on daft daily and checking out the advertiser alright. Gonna try and arrange viewings in the next few weeks and I'll have a better idea then of the specific estates.

Would prefer to be near enough a bus route, we have a shared car and one of us will use that and one take transport depending on where he is based. Woohoo, can't wait for the move!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭PennyLane88

Roscam and Ballybrit are your best bet - both lovely areas. Castlegar nice too, but Castlegar covers a big area, depends what part? I'm not a fan of Doughisce at all, whenever i pass there it has a kinda edgy side to it. I know a few people who like it, but it wouldn't my cup of tea at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭skinandblister

JustMary wrote: »
    Hmm ... I'm not sure you've spent much time in the neighbourhood skinandblister!

Only about 24 years ;)
    I'm not a fan of Doughisce at all, whenever i pass there it has a kinda edgy side to it. I know a few people who like it, but it wouldn't my cup of tea at all.

Have to say I agree with this. I know a few people who live there/use to live there and they dont like the area at all.

OP - dont rule out any areas until you yourself have seen them these are just our opinions. All these areas have a bus route but the bus might not go by Parkmore but it is walkable. My brother walks to and from Parkmore for work and he lives in Castlepark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 845 ✭✭✭softmee

there is student accomodation in Ballybrit beside the Clayton .

Ugly and expensive! (I am not sure if its students accomodation, but appartments near Clayton are awfull - have seen one some time ago, it was 800 per month -dark, dirty and depressing.
    Apartments above Dunnes Stores are ok. They have nice roof gardens (or patios) -safe and close to shop.
    -and there is nothing wrong with Doughiska! (unless you dont like foreign people :pac:) - specially Coill Tire in Doughiska is lovely and its close to regular 15min bus to Parkmore and city center!
    If you like walkig/jogging or beeing out - Doughiska is perfect for it.

Advertisement