Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rental Allowance coming down in December

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,598 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Actually NIMAN, I don't like my tone here. I don't mean to sneer and apologies for that.

I'll give you the honest reason people have these nasty reactions to posts like yours. It is the sense of entitlement. I am not saying that's you, but the post very much reads as though you expect your RA income to stay where it is. That is not a fair or reasonable expectation. These things go up and down with economic cycles. They were up, and are now going down. It's a fairly natural process in many respects. And it is beyond question for the good of the country.

Many of us still feel very bitter about the bubble, and how when we tried to warn acquaintances, friends and family about how broken everything was, we were not very well treated. Some of us see it as our due to have a go back now, and multiple property owners bear some of the brunt. I am certainly a bit like that. I'm not saying it's right or wrong, it's just how it is.

Treehouse,

I have been away from this thread since I posted that, and probably expected to get some of the replies I did.

To be honest, I do not feel any entitlement to get taxpayers money handed to me. I only charge €480 for a very nice 3 bed house in a nice, convenient location. I had plenty of viewers for it and have now got nice tenants, although ones on RA. Perhaps I might have to go the route of professional tenants paying their own money. I do not think I charge too much for what I have provide.

Obviously if the RA is decreased then I will just have to add more of my own money to the account each month to make up the difference. Hopefully I will continue to stay in a position to be able to do this.

Some of my initial anger may have been due to the fact that I know a few landlords who have never registered their tenancy, take cash in hand, make no tax returns etc and so provide little back to the State. I am fully compliant and renting my house is going to cost me a sizeable amount each year. But I am a reluctant landlord after buying a new family home and unable to sell my 1st home. I might just have to consider lowering the price further and taking a smaller profit off any sale to get rid should all the predictions on here come true.

Thanks for your feedback all the same;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Elle Collins

djrichard wrote: »
    As a tenant myself, I cant wait for the RA to be reduced. Ive only been in the country 4 months and was shocked, that despite the bailouts from the UK etc and the talk about recession in the news, that rents were so high. I live in Malahide and pay 850 for a one bedroom apartment. This isnt an amazing apartment, just a small modern one in a reasonable area.

Malahide is not considered "a resonable area" djrichard. You're new to the country so maybe you couldn't be expected to know, but there are a handful of extremely affluent and expensive areas in this city and you are living in one of them. For future reference, they are Castleknock, Malahide, Sutton and Howth on the northside, and Killiney, Dalkey, Dublin 4 and Foxrock on the southside.

You've made it very clear that you want to see families living in ghettos for the crime of not being able to afford their own rent. I have to tell you I find that attitude nauseating at the best of times, but especially so from someone living in one of the country's most affluent areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

You've made it very clear that you want to see families living in ghettos for the crime of not being able to afford their own rent.
    Please provide a quote to back that up, it looks like a good combination of a straw-man and an ad hominem attack to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 681 ✭✭✭Elle Collins

Here you go Quozi:
    djrichard wrote: »
    This should have an almost instant reduction in rental prices and will get all of those on RA out of the nicer areas and into the areas where they belong.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,308 ✭✭✭quozl

Hmm, thanks. To be fair there is a difference between not the nicer areas and ghettos but that quote does kind of rankle.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Guys- come on, lets get back to a reasonable debate here.

Advertisement