Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tintern

Options
  • 06-08-2011 6:07pm
    Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just back from a few days in Wexford. Can't undestand why Tintern is so overlooked, it's a special place. I bought a book on-site by the person in charge of archeological works there, never knew that Saltmills was more or less built so the Colcloughs could clear out the village at Tintern.

If you haven't been recently, you really need to visit!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I love this place - very peaceful and gorgeous.

I often wonder the same. I often bring visitors down there and its always nearly empty.

I don't think the signposting for it is that great however, so that might be part of the problem.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

I enjoy waklin around the grounds down there meself, Its the closest thing to a proper old growth Forest in this area

There was noone around the last time I was down, can you go inside the abbey yet??????

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

I love this spot too. I read that the tea shop is closed now though which is a great pity. As far as I know there are a few events running in tintern abbey for heritage week at the end of august. All free! Look here for info
    http://www.heritageweek.ie/index.php/whats-on/event-search/

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭Decoda

Hi,

Tintern Abbey is also going to host the UKIFAC United Kingdom and Island of Ireland Field Archery competition which is being held on the 27th and 28th of August. Should be an interesting weekend.

http://www.ukifac.com/UKIFAC/Home.html

DC

• Registered Users Posts: 1,206 ✭✭✭jordata

jordata wrote: »
    I love this spot too. I read that the tea shop is closed now though which is a great pity. As far as I know there are a few events running in tintern abbey for heritage week at the end of august. All free! Look here for info
    http://www.heritageweek.ie/index.php/whats-on/event-search/

Just checked and all events are not free, but looks like free on Sundays for heritage week.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Tea shop is open and there are tours of the building.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

I have a friend a Colclough , they never changed! you'd want to see this fella clear a pub!

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭who what when

wellboytoo wrote: »
    I have a friend a Colclough , they never changed! you'd want to see this fella clear a pub!

:confused: My understanding was that the Colclough's were held in very high regard throughout the 400-500 years they were there.
    They even donated the abbey and grounds to the state.

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭Murtinho

Was there last week and we all loved it, 4 adults and 2 kids 4 & 10, very cheap day out, nice walk in the woods, great guided tour and lovely affordable cafe afterwards. Ill definitely bring visitors there in future.

Advertisement