Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Galway Property management..

Options
  • 06-08-2011 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

Hey I'm going to be renting a property off GPM..
    Anyone have any experience of dealing with them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭whatlliwear

All I will say about those people is email them with queries/ problems and general dealings instead of phoning them.. You will have a record of everything said then. Also keep copies of everything just in-case they mislay them..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Take photos of everything when you move in and ensure you check the inventory list with a member of staff present and have them countersign it with you.

I personally don't hear many positive tales in relation to property agencies in galway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 946 ✭✭✭Predalien

Can sometimes take them a while to get things done, they do try some lame excuses (landlord lives abroad...) but generally not too bad.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭leonidas83

I would not like to have any dealings with them again, found by far the the worst property mgt company I have dealt with

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭emptybladder

In before Biko finishes drinking his two lager shandies in O'Connells and sees what ye've been up to :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,968 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

snubbleste wrote: »
    Take photos of everything when you move in and ensure you check the inventory list with a member of staff present and have them countersign it with you.

Sound advice, no matter which property management co you're dealing with.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I've been with them and tbh they were fine but you need to be pushy if you want to get things done.
    This is true for most/all agencies though.

For 200 euro pet deposit they let us keep a cat too.

As suggested above - I did a video on moving in day and pointed out all the issues I could see and uploaded it to youtube (as private) so if there is a problem later I have everything documented and timestamped on youtube.

A pipe broke on Christmas Day and their emergency numbers didn't work so that's something that could have gone bad. Luckily a neighbour is a builder so could fix the pipe for us.

In essence - they're fine but do keep everything documented.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭dustie1

i rented from GPM for several years in the same property. It was an old property and we had a good few problems over the years... heating, plumbing, etc, etc. They were always difficult to pin down to do repairs. You would never get a call back to tell you the repairs had been completed or if they were even scheduled. Typically it would take 3-4 calls to get something done. But the house was reasonably priced for the area and very convenient so we stayed there.

When we did move I was disappointed that it took about 6 weeks and several phone calls to get the deposit back, especially given that pipes had burst and we had to move and there was no bills/damage done to property by us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

Always rent directly from a landlord.

If the property is clean and presentable, the landlord arrives on time and writes a receipt, then, from my vast experience, you will never have a problem.

Dodgy apartments are usually let by unpunctual unreliable and unorganised landlords.

CONCLUSION:
    Always wear sunscreen and never rent from a Management Company, Estate Agent or Letting Agency

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭Tupamaros

Found them pretty annoying to deal with. Very strict if the rent was a day late (threatening fines etc) but when you asked them about a fault in the property surprise surprise, they were not so quick off the mark. You would have to ask them several times. So when dealing with them, as with any property agency, be professional and firm with them, don't take no for an answer.

One thing that particularly annoyed me about them. I lived in an apartment complex with a coded-door. I arrived home one evening to find a man working on the door, who asked me if I knew the new code for the door. I didn't. Effectively if I had arrived home a bit later with the workman gone I would not have been able to get into my own house. Not too much to expect to get a note in the door or a call to say the system was being replaced and there would be a new code?

Also, like a lot of property places, tried to screw me and my flatmates with regard to the deposit. When I arrived the apartment was not clean, had food on some cutlery etc I got a 'sorry' when I mentioned it. But when it came to moving out, they picked up on the smallest things, many of which would have been there already. So make sure you document everything that is wrong with the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭lucianot

I have had an issue with them. I had problems with aun unsocial neighbour and they never handled the issue properly, they basically left me alone to deal with the problem.
    I tried so many times to discuss the problem, etc but I found them quite incompetent on that aspect. The rest, maintenance, cleaning, etc, was just fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭xo.mary

We're renting from a letting agent for college next year. We got the keys last week and already, the landlord has called us to make sure everything is okay and if there's anything wrong to contact him.

I suppose it differs between letting agents?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

xo.mary wrote: »
    We're renting from a letting agent for college next year. We got the keys last week and already, the landlord has called us to make sure everything is okay and if there's anything wrong to contact him.
    I suppose it differs between letting agents?

Why would the landlord contact you if they have a letting agent doing the work for them? Why would you contact the landlord rather than the letting agent if there is a problem.
    Maybe I'm just cynical.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

snubbleste wrote: »
    Why would the landlord contact you if they have a letting agent doing the work for them? Why would you contact the landlord rather than the letting agent if there is a problem.
    Maybe I'm just cynical.
    Some agency agreements are for the initial letting only, some are for letting and management where the tenant's point of contact would always be the agent.

I've never had any dealings with GPM but worked in the industry for a while, the above advice is golden. Document everything, photograph everything and make sure the agents/landlords know about anything that goes awry at the time of occurence.

If you get involved in a dispute that you're not getting satisfaction from (and you think you're in the right), get Threshold aboard. Hell, even if you're chancing your arm, get them aboard. I've seen cases where the tenant broke every stick of furniture, kicked holes in walls and still had Threshold come out batting for them, with seemingly unlimited resources.

Oh the stories I could tell from both pro-tenant and pro-landlord/agent sides, there's a book in there somewhere, with a whole volume on students from the more godforsakenremote areas of Donegal and the lies they tell their mammys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Snacker

absolute joke someone I know was dealing with them took months to get a new washing machine

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭MissMoppet

Thanks a mill for all your replies.. So far they've beenok and the person I'm dealing with has been nothing but helpful. They've repainted the house and fixed the flood damage so thats something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 GalwayGirl1975

Galway Property Management Company are also Galway Clamping Company - - they are bullies of the highest order - I wouldn't deal with them for love or money - saw them clamping an old lady recently in salthill when she went into the post office for 5 minutes - poor old dear was reduced to tears - really horrible - specially as she was the only car in the car park - causing zero obstruction - steer clear

• Registered Users Posts: 878 ✭✭✭keno-daytrader

I rented from them for 5 years, never paid a day late on the rent, and house was left perfect. Had to chase them after moving, finally after 6 weeks I got a check.

The check bounced and I had to take them to the PTRB to get my money back. Total and utter thieves imho.

☀️ 6.72kWp ⚡2.52kWp south, ⚡4.20kWp west

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

I dealt with them recently and found them a pain in the arse, wouldn't go near them again, took ages to get a cheque and then when i got it, it was alot less than origionally agreed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

Galway Property Management Company are also Galway Clamping Company - - they are bullies of the highest order - I wouldn't deal with them for love or money - saw them clamping an old lady recently in salthill when she went into the post office for 5 minutes - poor old dear was reduced to tears - really horrible - specially as she was the only car in the car park - causing zero obstruction - steer clear
    I guess I'll hop onto this one. Was she parking legally or illegally? Simple yes or no question. Positive ageism isn't an excuse.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 160 ✭✭inkwell

ErnieBert wrote: »

Dodgy apartments are usually let by unpunctual unreliable and unorganised landlords.

Not only dodgy ufortunately..:( I am tired of dealing with them and I want my own house at last!
    Why tenants are in such bad possition here in Ireland ? Its us who pay the money, so we are customers here. I just hate the way it is.
    Landlords - ****elords :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 GalwayGirl1975

I guess I'll hop onto this one. Was she parking legally or illegally? Simple yes or no question. Positive ageism isn't an excuse.

She forgot to put a ticket up - so she was illegally parked - in my view we measure oursleves as a society by how we treat the less fotunate, the sick and our elderly - life is not always black & white -

I know another guy who was clamped in the same place on the August Bank Holiday weekend - he left his car there on the Sunday night and was clamped on Bank Holiday Monday - the sign says "Pay & Display" and the ticket machines are the same as the county council ones - the clampers said tough luck it is a private car park - there is no sign to say that the car park is private - very sneaky and in my view unacceptable behaviour - what do you think on that one EusalHerria?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

I'm curious as to what car parks there are in Salthill within old-lady-range of the Post Office, which are P&D and under the ambit of Galway Clamping Company? Moreover, why in the jaysus would anyone park in them given that there's always spots close enough to the Post Office and 2 disabled spots close to the door.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

We'll stop here before it goes off-topic or ott but there you have it OP, positive and negative experiences with GPM.
    If anyone wants to add something, please feel free to PM me.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement