Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does anyone ever not want to listen to albums they really loved many years ago?

Options
  • 06-08-2011 7:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

I am thinking of listening to Eminem's "The Marshall Mathers LP", which was released 11 years ago back in 2000. It was the album that got me into Hip-Hop, I was 13 when I got it and I listened to it non-stop all the time. It had such a profound impact on me. Before that I only listened to The Spice Girls/Britney Spears without thinking about what I was listening to.

Anyway, I am thinking of listening to the album, but the last time I listened to it big time was 8 years ago in 2003. I have listened to my other albums in the 8 years since, but those 8 years can't compare at all to the first 3 years. I am finding it hard to listen to because it is such a classic in my eyes, a possible explanation it that I don't want to ruin what was, or that that album formed part of me back then. If I listen to it now it would be listening to it "now" and not back then, and the album is "back then" in my eyes and I want it to stay that way.

Does anyone else having similar experiences from cherished music from times past?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 rebelpebble

I know exactly what you mean!!! That has happened to me with 24 star hotel by Mundy. Im not even really a Mundy fan but that album reminds me of moving away from home and going to college. It was such a great time, I think that if I listen to it know it'll make me all sad and nostalgic. Same thing with a really beautiful piece of classical music that my friend used to play. She's gone to Australia now it makes me too sad to listen to it. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Yeah, it makes me feel nostalgic. I hate nostalgia. Sometimes if I listen to the album a few times the effect wears off and I stop associating it with the past but say if the Ipod is on shuffle and a song I used to love comes on I'll always skip it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭karaokeman

Westlife - Coast to Coast

I had the album years ago when I was a big Westlife fan and sang My Love for my mum. I still have that CD where I did the vocals for it.

Lost the album many years ago.

I would listen to the album but I'm too lazy to buy a new one.

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭aoshea83

For me the two albums from way back when were Dido's No Angel and David Gray's White Ladder, both are albums that are great the whole way through and hold happy memories

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Oh no, I love a bit o' nostalgia so am always trying to root out my old music from years ago.
    I am currently in a Jagged Little Pill phase. I go through one every year or two. Same with The Fugees, The Score. I play with them for a while, then move in to OTHER old music.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,796 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

I still often listen to OK Computer by Radiohead.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Does anyone ever not want to listen to albums they really loved many years ago?
    I can't understand how someone can stop liking a song or an album. Sure I may cringe when I hear yet another cover band murder Sweet Child O' Mine but that doesn't stop me liking the song even if I dread to think how many times I've heard it since I first bought Appetite for Destruction.
    I hate nostalgia.
    Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Malice wrote: »
    Why?
    Because it's not what it used to be

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Because it's not what it used to be
    http://instantrimshot.com/classic/?sound=rimshot

Advertisement