Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad service from Chefs Garden Direct am I entitled to a refund?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

Oh this is all very sad indeed. As annoyed as I am ( having placed an order on the 8th Aug. and heard abs nothing) it's a pity that their business has fallen down because of this.
    My bet is that when all the furore dies down about the City Deal they will be back up and running in a couple of months.

How frustrating it's all been, was so looking forward to my goodies :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lclint

Just spoke to citydeal, they will sending an email this afternoon, all refunds will be automatic!

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

Lclint wrote: »
    Just spoke to citydeal, they will sending an email this afternoon, all refunds will be automatic!

So everyone gets a refund, even if they were willing to wait? Something fishy here, it sounds like CGD have gone out of business. I feel really sorry for them if that's the case

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Lclint

Nanazolie wrote: »
    Lclint wrote: »

So everyone gets a refund, even if they were willing to wait? Something fishy here, it sounds like CGD have gone out of business. I feel really sorry for them if that's the case
    Seems that is the case from the call with citydeal, similar post on their facebook page :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 faery

I actually feel bad for city deal now, this must be damaging to them too by the looks of it and I'm sure they are feeling very embarrassed about it themselves. I must say that they are being very helpful to us all in the situation. At least they have the decency and honesty to talk when people ring them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭emer12

Melendez wrote: »

This is not the first time that it's happened with city deal that businesses have got into financial difficultly , and I think Ppl should be made more aware of this , city deal operate by paying old bills with new account , I know I for one will never get involved in these crap deals again , um only helping putting businesses under stress ... Nor do I feel for city deal or chef garden whey went into it with there eyes opens I feel for the. Other companies that have got the back lash from it,

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭tweety76

I wouldn't really be feeling sorry for Citydeal peeps, they are part of groupon UK which are affiliated with GROUPON in the U.S which is in fact a 30 billion dollar business so I don't think they are too worried about one deal falling through !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Nancenet70

i feel sorry for CGD

i truly hope this business doesn't go under because of this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭laurynsmam

Thankfully I have gotten a refund for this deal.
    I don't feel sorry for either company in this situation however I do think City Deal have handled it very well indeed. There has been no hesitancy from city deal in refund anyone's money

And I certainly don't feel sorry for Chefs Garden. They failed to keep their customers up to date on the situation. They failed to answer phone calls,. emails, voice mail messages etc. Very bad customer service & tbh if they really cared about their customers (both new and old) regardless of whether they were able to fulfill orders , they should have at least notified their customers of the situation on a regular basis. This is basic customer service.

The people I feel sorry for are the staff of Chefs Garden (if they have closed down, as this is more redundancies) and I also feel sorry for the customers that ordered extra on top of their city deal. That money won't get refunded to them that's for sure.

It won't stop me ordering from Groupon Companies however I will be more aware of the situations that may arise, in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 faery

well regardless of their situation there's no excuse for the lack of communication and what seems like the worst type of customer service I ever came across! if they are gone, they have taken the cowards way out.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭jimogr

anyone get an email from citydeal? They told me on the phone that they'd be sending it before 5 today :(

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I feel sorry for them. I think they got in over their head.

I think we need to remind ourselves of:
    http://posiescafe.com/wp/?p=316

I hope cgd haven't gone out of biz or anything :o

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jackiedaniels

amdublin wrote: »
    I feel sorry for them. I think they got in over their head.

I think we need to remind ourselves of:
    http://posiescafe.com/wp/?p=316

I hope cgd haven't gone out of biz or anything :o

So why didnt they just say that? If they had been honest and upfront from the start people would be a lot more understanding but in fact they were quite deceptive and misleading to everyone even their regular customers. The posies cafe story is a different scenario because Chefs garden havent delivered anyones hampers therefore have not lost any money. They actually still have a lot of peoples money including mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Nancenet70

i'm out for the 7.50 i mistakenly paid for delivery, really annoyed

when i say i feel sorry for CGD - it's because they were a thriving small irish business, that had no idea how the groupon would affect them
    i do not like seeing people losing jobs or going out of business at all

someone was in contact with me re: "my delivery" the entire time via email so i didnt feel like i was completely in the dark

i was told a refund check for the 7.50 was being sent to me
    i guess it wont be now....but i do still feel sorry that this business has gone under

didnt the pizza place in monkstown go under because of city deal as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 maisling

I have just emailed city deal regarding a refund...here's hoping! I was really looking forward to my luxury food delivery and hadn't been shopping in anticipation....feel like I should be refunded for my take away dinner last night!!! :-)
    I only ordered my deal to be delivered yesterday at 3 pm and luckily came across this thread before I wasted my whole afternoon sitting in waiting for a delivery that was never going to come. I was also peeved that they were trying to diddle us into paying €7.50 delivery, I did not pay this online and boy am I glad now, I had emailed company to say delivery was included in the deal according to my voucher but never heard a word and it was then that I started smelling a rat!
    Anyway I'm off to do some groceries now, hope we all get this sorted. At least with the website gone now no one else will end up wasting their time with this 'deal'
    Good luck everyone!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭emer12

Cathal46 wrote: »
    This is not down to Citydeal (whatever their payment policy is. CGD have major debts going backmonths and it looks like all communications from them were just delaying tactics. They were also accepting orders (and I expect money up to last week when they knew it was all over. Save sympathy for those out of pocket.

Hi Cathal, Did you hear this from the warehouse owner? where did you get the info? Jesus I feel robbed!

<SNIP>I'm sure that it wasnt the intention of cgd. To do this they should have said ..., look we have a problem delivering and we need time , I'm sure Ppl would have been more considerate ...

As a matter of interest how much was the original city deal voucher?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

amdublin wrote: »
    As a matter of interest how much was the original city deal voucher?

32 for the basic and 45 (asfair) for the luxury

• Advertisement

32 for the basic and 45 (asfair) for the luxury

Thanks dolly.

And for that I assume you were supposed to be getting a hamper worth aprox €100 or something??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

ah here's the exact info from the citydeal voucher
    "Mixed Food Selection (?32) or Luxury Food Selection (?44) Delivered To Your Door from Chefs Garden Direct (Up to 67% Off)"

the mixed food selection was a 51% saving.

It's a shame it didn't happen, I ordered from them maybe 6 times before & the quality was really top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

faery & jackiedaniels Please restrain yourselves from attacking individuals on this forum. Irrespective of the circumstances, I never want to see that happening here.

Right now, this thread is full of speculation and not a lot of facts. Stick to solid facts please.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jackiedaniels

I dont mean to attack any individuals Dudara and I apologise to anyone who felt "attacked". but this situation is so frustrating and people are genuinely concerned about where their money has gone. I agree that there is a lot of speculation but CGD are totally ignoring us and not giving us any solid facts to work with.

Those of you who never used the voucher should be in contact with Groupon asking for a refund/credit.

If you used the voucher but didn't add anything extra to the order, then get in touch with Groupon and get a refund/credit.

If you used the voucher, and added extra to the order, and were lucky enough to use a credit card, then you should get a refund/credit from Groupon for the voucher. For the remainder of the order, once you have a solid statement that CDG has ceased to trade, then you can initiate a chargeback with your credit card provider.

Groupon were the retailer of the voucher & your contract of sale exists with them. You paid them money and they are the people who will have to refund you or credit you. (Unless I'm missing something in their T&Cs)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

dudara wrote: »

Groupon were the retailer of the voucher & your contract of sale exists with them. You paid them money and they are the people who will have to refund you or credit you. (Unless I'm missing something in their T&Cs)

I've often wondered about this scenario in regards to 3rd party voucher sellers in general.

Can the voucher sellers not argue that they provided the voucher that the purchaser paid for. The fact the 3rd party vendor does not go on to provide the service promised could be viewed as a seperate thing altogether. In the case of a subsequently liquadated company does the voucher holder become the creditor of the business or does the voucher seller ?

I suppose it does depend on what exactly you bought - did you buy the service at a discount or did you buy a voucher entitling you to a discount ?

Of course it would make good business sense for the voucher seller to refund etc but I am not too sure they are actually legally responsible for it.

I take the view that it's like booking a hotel with a travel website. The travel website is where you have the contract of sale. They are the ones who refund you in the case of any difficulty, not the hotel.

However, I'm open to more discussion on this. This particular case has clearly shown the need for clarity.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭elainee40

a post just on fb page from the company itsself

"For all the people that dont understand group on (city deal) have your money not chefs garden, we have to wait to get paid from city deal ..."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 pmarrsouth.be

From FB:
    For all the people that dont understand group on (city deal) have your money not chefs garden, we have to wait to get paid from city deal ...
    4 minutes ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Compak

dudara wrote: »
    I take the view that it's like booking a hotel with a travel website. The travel website is where you have the contract of sale. They are the ones who refund you in the case of any difficulty, not the hotel.

However, I'm open to more discussion on this. This particular case has clearly shown the need for clarity.

No, you're right, contract of sale is citideal they are responsible for refunds. Nor do they try and deflect from this responsibility

Advertisement