Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bad service from Chefs Garden Direct am I entitled to a refund?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Compak wrote: »
    No, you're right, contract of sale is citideal they are responsible for refunds. Nor do they try and deflect from this responsibility

What if I sell you a voucher that entitles you to 60% off an item in another business / service ? I supply the voucher as agreed. You have recieved what you paid for. Subsequently due to an event after the transaction (in my hypothetical the company the voucher is to be drawn against going into liquidation) that voucher is effectively worthless but at the time of the sale it was worth it, the item was as described / fit for purpose etc and was delivered / provided as agreed.

This I would see as being different than when you book a hotel room through another website etc as they sell you the 2 nights stay in this hotel etc. I would also see my example above as being very different than specifically selling a hamper at half the normal price.

Just playing devils advocate here - I would feel that the voucher company are morally responsible but I do think is there a get out of jail clause open to any voucher retailler that advertises the service they sell as a voucher for xxxxx rather than the sale of xxxxx itself. It's a subtle difference but it's a big legal one. I'd be interested to see the exact wording on these deals in the T's and C's.

• Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭Compak

What if I sell you a voucher that entitles you to 60% off an item in another business / service ? I supply the voucher as agreed. You have recieved what you paid for. Subsequently due to an event after the transaction (in my hypothetical the company the voucher is to be drawn against going into liquidation) that voucher is effectively worthless but at the time of the sale it was worth it, the item was as described / fit for purpose etc and was delivered / provided as agreed.

This I would see as being different than when you book a hotel room through another website etc as they sell you the 2 nights stay in this hotel etc. I would also see my example above as being very different than specifically selling a hamper at half the normal price.

Just playing devils advocate here - I would feel that the voucher company are morally responsible but I do think is there a get out of jail clause open to any voucher retailler that advertises the service they sell as a voucher for xxxxx rather than the sale of xxxxx itself. It's a subtle difference but it's a big legal one. I'd be interested to see the exact wording on these deals in the T's and C's.

good point

5.7 RESPONSIBILITY: The Merchant, and not CityDeal, is:
    5.7.1 the seller of the Voucher Products;
    5.7.2 solely responsible for providing you with the Voucher Products and for the Voucher Products themselves; and
    5.7.3 solely responsible for redeeming any Voucher you Purchase.

wonder how would hold up in court though, selling a voucher that was impossible for you use under the conditions they advertised.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 faery

There latest post on FB...'For all the people that dont understand group on (city deal) have your money not chefs garden, we have to wait to get paid from city deal ...'

<SNIP>

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Well it seems that city deal are in effect placing themselves as the payment processor of the transaction and nothing more which is a 3rd angle to it that I had not considered at all. Same result though from a consumers point of view they have a position to fall back on which absolves them of finanical responsibillity for the transaction / refund.

Has there been any precedent in Irish or any other law for the scenario where a group / voucher seller refuses a refund ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Melendez wrote: »

It would seem though, that boards deals work a bit differently to the other deal sites where they start paying the business up front, before vouchers are even presented to the company, whereas the other deal sites only pay when the deal is redeemed by people and the company submit the vouchers for payment...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You're getting into the area of business management here, which is not within the scope of this forum. Stick to the Consumer Issue.

dudara

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Cathal46

I spoke to warhouse owner and he's very upset, lot of people vented on him. Maybe CGD has good intentions regarding their commitments and just ran out of time...who knows?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 maisling

Just wondering if anyone has actually heard back from city deal/groupon? I emailed them on Friday and not a word back yet, not even a mail saying they received my email....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

i emailed them too , going to ring them tomorrow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭yelselseivad

I paid for a normal order (not citydeal/groupon) on 20th August via Paypal. Does anyone know if I'm entitled to a refund. I e-mailed Paypal last week but haven't got a response.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,595 ✭✭✭The Lovely Muffin

I paid for a normal order (not citydeal/groupon) on 20th August via Paypal. Does anyone know if I'm entitled to a refund. I e-mailed Paypal last week but haven't got a response.
    Start a PayPal dispute for "item not received" and you should get your money back if CGD don't respond/can't prove delivery.

You have 45 days from the day you pay to start a dispute, DO NOT wait more than 45 days before starting a dispute as it will be too late and you won't get anything, unless the money came from a credit card and you could ask your bank about a charge back.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭elainee40

heres post on fb page

Lesley Davies O'Byrne
    I didn't order with groupon or city deal I placed a normal (usual) order on 20th August through Paypal, is there any chance of a delivery or a refund?
    about an hour ago

CHEFS GARDEN DIRECT Refund i
    17 minutes ago

CHEFS GARDEN DIRECT Sorry refund issued back to you
    16 minutes ago

Susan Jordan Does that mean you're out of business then, Chris? What an awful shame if so.
    7 minutes ago

Ben Bender I have emailed you regarding a refund for purchases made on top of the Citydeal, when will that be refunded
    5 minutes ago

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jackiedaniels

elainee40 wrote: »
    heres post on fb page

Lesley Davies O'Byrne
    I didn't order with groupon or city deal I placed a normal (usual) order on 20th August through Paypal, is there any chance of a delivery or a refund?
    about an hour ago

CHEFS GARDEN DIRECT Refund i
    17 minutes ago

CHEFS GARDEN DIRECT Sorry refund issued back to you
    16 minutes ago

Susan Jordan Does that mean you're out of business then, Chris? What an awful shame if so.
    7 minutes ago

Ben Bender I have emailed you regarding a refund for purchases made on top of the Citydeal, when will that be refunded
    5 minutes ago

CHEFS GARDEN DIRECT If we have nt delivered to you then we have nt debit any other money from your card

Still no reasonable explaination....and they are removing unfavourable comments from their page. As far as i know when you order off a website there is a pre-authorisation for the amount but once your order is processed the charges are committed on your card, about 3 weeks ago CGD told me my order was processed and in their system. Wouldnt that mean they have in fact got my money??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

The vindictiveness of some people here is quite amazing. They will not be happy unless the company is closed and more people join the dole queue.

City deal room your money - it is they who have to pay back. If there were extra charges for extra products check to see if its been charged yet. If its a paypal payment open a paypal dispute, if its laser or credit card do a charge back (can be find even when company still trades) then get on with your life.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 jackiedaniels

elainee40 wrote: »
    <SNIP>

But how do we know if they have ceased to trade? I havent heard a word from Citydeal either I emailed them a few days ago. There seems to be different opinions on whether you can start a charge back on a Laser card some are saying you can but its a long drawn out process,waiting on my bank to get back to me on this. I could do without all this chasing city deal and banks..You'd think they'd do the decent thing and start processing the refunds themselves. I dont think doing the decent thing is high on their list of priorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭baloonatic

Laroussefoods.com are far better IMO. Excellent service and top quality food.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Melendez

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

You can pool with some friends/ familly. I know a girl working there, and also their chocolate master, so I am more encline to trust them.

Re. Chefs Garden Direct, I hope the company will not close and staff loose their jobs. But unfortunately their Customer service blunder will be extremely damaging for their reputation

I guess by now we all must get a refund from City Deal, or the money will be lost for good. Pity, the hamper really sounded great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭emer12

baloonatic wrote: »
    Laroussefoods.com are far better IMO. Excellent service and top quality food.

I've dealt with Larousse foods too expensive mind you cgd was upping their prices all the time , might try them as it's been along time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 Panda Moo

Just rang City deal , they said the clarification emails will be sent out this morning to all customers. Hope we all get one!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,786 ✭✭✭✭whelan1

Panda Moo wrote: »
    Just rang City deal , they said the clarification emails will be sent out this morning to all customers. Hope we all get one!
    yes thats what they told me too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

All I can say, if the same venemous comments that you and 2 or 3 others have made againt this company and its magagers / owners were made against me, I'd have legal writs issued post haste. and I'd win substantial damages.

One sentence of caution (applies to everything in life) - If you own any property or any asset - be very very careful what you say about people on a personal level or against their business unless you have documented proof. It can cost you very dearly.

I'm really surprised Boards have allowed this thread get so vile and threatening and shame on them for not moderating it / editing posts especially from Emer12 who know little but rants about a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

maxer68 wrote: »
    I'm really surprised Boards have allowed this thread get so vile and threatening and shame on them for not moderating it / editing posts especially from Emer12 who know little but rants about a lot.

I'm in agreement with you about the vile & threatening nature of this thread. I must admit that I have left it open against my better judgement.

EDIT: I've now gone back through the thread and removed a lot of the posts I am uncomfortable with. Please let me know via the Report Post functionality if I have missed anything

Note to all posters - In future, please only post factual statements. Any idle speculation or like comments will be deleted.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭millie35

I emailed citydeal for a refund on the 1/9/11 and got no reply. I emailed them again today and still no refund.
    They have just emailed me a survey to complete and then they will get back in touch. Meanwhile I am invited to look at their other exciting deals, em, no thanks I would just like a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭gomara

Ummmm..not very clear it's actually a survey asking for comments, saying Groupon have received 'mixed' reviews about the offer. No clarifications or refund offers in there.

<SNIP> Please attach screen capture image or else provide direct link to Facebook page

Newest posts by CGD (which Ive screen captured as documented evidence)

Based on these posts, I am entitled to give my opinion, that to see so many people put out, it is disgraceful to see a company, where customers are the lifeline, resorting to petty insults.

First time I ever seen it actually.

Plus its one thing to be a grammar nazi in a forum, which is conversational, but these posts are equivalent to official public statements, and are a paltry effort at communication.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭Nanazolie

At the end of the survey, the message mentions that if you had issues with Chef Garden direct's deal, City Deals will be in touch. I hope it will be sorted out and everyone gets a refund. And eventually, CGD gets back on track

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭masterK

The really annoying thing about these guys is that they had to have known they couldn't handle any serious volume of orders. From reading this thread it appears that probably around 500 people made an order with them out of the 3000 that bought vouchers. If they could not even begin to be able to deal with 500 people then how it's gods name could they have managed 3000.

If you work out basic maths, if you take it that they would make a loss of €20 on each order considering City Deal get half (I'd guess the loss is actually at least double that amount) that would mean that they would lose at the very least 20*3000=€60,000. How could anybody in their right mind have knowingly went into such a deal knowing how much they would lose? Especially a small business.

• Advertisement

Compak wrote: »
    Newest posts by CGD (which Ive screen captured as documented evidence)

Based on these posts, I am entitled to give my opinion, that to see so many people put out, it is disgraceful to see a company, where customers are the lifeline, resorting to petty insults.

First time I ever seen it actually.

Plus its one thing to be a grammar nazi in a forum, which is conversational, but these posts are equivalent to official public statements, and are a paltry effort at communication.
    here we go, couldnt work out how to attach at first

Advertisement