Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Modular Cable problem

Options
  • 06-08-2011 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I bought a pre-built desktop and recently decided to upgrade my graphics card to a Sapphire HD 4870. This needs 2 6 pin pcie power cables and came with 2 6 pin pcie to peripheral converter.

The problem is my power supply is a 650W High Power Plus.

http://www.highpowerplus.com/650.htm

This is an ATX modular power supply but I don't have any of the modular cables.

I have a look online and can't seem to buy these cables anywhere

The sockets in the PSU look like a standard 6 pcie female port.
    There are also a number of 8 pin ports as well.

My question is, will any pcie cable do or do I need specific cables for this PSU? Also, anyone know where to buy them?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

It already has one of the 6 pin connectors (the 6+2) connector. Then just use one of them molex to 6 pin adaptors that came with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭dubrov

The problem is that I don't have any of the modular cables fro the PSU.

The PSU has a slot that would fit a 6 (or 6+2) pci-e cable so I could buy a molex to pci-e converted and all would fit.

However, even if they fit, would they work?
    I don't want to end up frying the motherboard

The following is a picture of what I am looking at although it is the 100W version of the same PSU brand. The red slots are 8 pin while the black ones are 6 pin

DSCF2775.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Your only chance of getting that psu working then is to see if you can get replacement cables from the manufacturer as even if other cables fit I dont think you should really trust that it wouldnt cause problems as I dont think manufacturers have set a standard for these ends.
    dubrov wrote: »
    The problem is that I don't have any of the modular cables fro the PSU.

The PSU has a slot that would fit a 6 (or 6+2) pci-e cable so I could buy a molex to pci-e converted and all would fit.

However, even if they fit, would they work?
    I don't want to end up frying the motherboard

The following is a picture of what I am looking at although it is the 100W version of the same PSU brand. The red slots are 8 pin while the black ones are 6 pin

DSCF2775.JPG

• Registered Users Posts: 3,577 ✭✭✭dubrov

that's what I was afraid you might say. Looks like I don't have much choice

Advertisement