Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"On the Street Where you Live" - O'Connell Street, Ennis.

• 06-08-2011 8:09pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭

This following documentary maybe of interest to people living in/or are from Ennis :)
    The history of O'Connell Street in the market town of Ennis, Co Clare, told through the words of residents John O'Connor, Pat Brennan and Gwen Culligan.

Medieval Ennis is a lively market town. Its main shopping thoroughfare is O'Connell Street. The narrow, curved street pushes people close together. With nearby Shannon Airport, O'Connell Street has played host to pilots, air hostesses and American tourists since the 1950s. More recently O'Connell Street came to a stand-still as it welcomed home one of its greatest and prettiest sons - Muhammad Ali.

John O'Connor

John O'Connor owns Custy's Music Store. The shop is situated in a quiet laneway off O'Connell Street. Whether it's bodhráns or bouzoukis, Custy's attracts traditional Irish music fans from as far away as California and Japan. John recently electrified his shop-front to shock late-night revellers making pit-stops on his doorway.

Pat Brennan

Pat Brennan grew up next door to the cathedral on O'Connell Street. He was one of ten children. As a boy in the 1950's, Pat had the freedom to run, play and shout out loud on the streets of Ennis. Pat spent over forty years working as a printer in the Clare Champion Newspaper in Barrack Street (off O'Connell Street).

Gwen Culligan

Gwen Culligan grew up working at her mother's ladies' boutique. Gwen swore she would leave Ennis but after a spell away she got home sick and now runs The County Boutique on O'Connell Street.

The documentary will be available to watch on the RTE Player until August 26th.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1107242

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

MrsD007 wrote: »
    This following documentary may of interest to Ennis natives :)

The documentary will be available to watch on the RTE Player until August 26th.

http://www.rte.ie/player/#!v=1107242
    Not just natives, Mrs D, blow-ins like me who live here & consider it home:)Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

Not just natives, Mrs D, blow-ins like me who live here & consider it home:)Thanks.
    Fair comment Poppyvalley, I will amend my post. I was thinking of others like myself who are originally from Ennis but are no longer living there. I certainly didn't mean to cause offense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

Really enjoyed this episode! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

This doc makes the place look a bit depressing. Enjoyed seeing a bit of old film footage anyway.

This doc makes the place look a bit depressing. Enjoyed seeing a bit of old film footage anyway.
    I think we could have been spared John O'Connor's anti p1ssing device.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,997 ✭✭✭Shapey Fiend

The tone just seems a bit odd. Lots of ominous music, shots of empty shopfronts and "without Shannon Airport we are DOOOOMED. DOOMED I TELLS YA!" followed by lighthearted jaunty music and "In 1997 Ennis discovered the Internet. Sure isn't it fabliss? The internets been a great boost to the place so it has."

We've got a fecking fish spa in the market now. I refuse to acknowledge small town backwards Ennis has been particularly hard hit when we have that sort of silliness.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭poppyvalley

MrsD007 wrote: »
    Fair comment Poppyvalley, I will amend my post. I was thinking of others like myself who are originally from Ennis but are no longer living there. I certainly didn't mean to cause offense.

No offence whatsoever taken:)

No offence whatsoever taken:)
    Thanks Poppyvalley :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭CptSternn

Advertisement