Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kamikaze birds query

• 06-08-2011 8:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭

I have a strange one. Birds are smashing off my sitting room window. There is a rowan tree across the road, and it seems that they are eating the berries. Could it be that they are drunk or disorientated after eating the berries ? It's definitely not down to the sky reflecting in the windows. They're not that clean !

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

OP Would you like me to move this thread to Nature & Birdwatching? I wonder if you might get a better response there

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,715 ✭✭✭✭Ally Dick

Please do that. I'm sorry but I didn't see that other category.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,922 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

Usually it's because they see their reflection or they can see daylight through the window for example via an opposite window. Unlikely to be because they are drunk. Try sicking a couple of bits of paper (post it notes ?) onto the inside of the window.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Moved from A&PI

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

just like when you see people walk in to a shop window or door

A friend hangs a few CDs in front of his worst window

Mark
    N Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

There are a lot of juvenile birds around and their navigational skills
    leave a lot to be desired, I have birds bouncing off the windows on
    a daily basis, most are ok and go about their business!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

There is no reason for any bird eating rowan berries to be drunk or disorintated as a result. :) This only happens with fermented windfall fruit in late Autumn and is quite rare really

Birds often hit windows. There have been many studies carried out without definitive results. Sometimes reflection, sometimes mistaken for a clear flight path, sometimes juvenile birds or a combination of same.

Only started happening a few months ago. its about three birds a week at this stage. The poor things are stunned and are being polished off by the family cat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If it's happening so regularly (and it does go that way at times) why haven't you kept the blasted Cat under control???:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

If it's happening so regularly (and it does go that way at times) why haven't you kept the blasted Cat under control???:mad:

Now Davina Unimportant Prawn you know I love cats just as much as you do ;) but that's a tad harsh. Presumably the cat is going about it's usual business which may or may not involve hunting birds and suddenly birds are throwing themselves at his feet....

OP like others have said, while this is going on something to make the window look less transparent e.g stickers etc might help and in the meantime, if and when you see or hear it happen, maybe try to get to the bird before the cat does.

• Advertisement

Might sound like I am a callous heartless person "allowing" the cat to kill the birds. I have tried to rescue the birds as much as possible, but not always successfully. It's a horrible situation that I would love to resolve

Advertisement