Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stock i5-2500 Temps

Options
  • 06-08-2011 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I put together a new rig that's geared towards been quiet.
    It's got a standard i5-2500 at stock speed with a top down quiet aftermarket cooler (Scythe Samurai ZZ) in a quiet case (Define R3).

According to the bios it idles at around 36 - 37 degrees.
    According to core temp each core idles at around 28 - 30 degrees.
    After gaming for a an hour or two the cores have never gone beyond 45 degrees on core temp (Mass Effect games).

Is it normal for such a difference between BIOS and core temp?

Is this a fairly decent result for a build orientated more towards the quiet side than power?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Sounds quite good to me :)

Nice temperatures all round. Neither bios nor OS monitoring software will be 100% accurate but relatively close to the temperatures. Quick google suggests that most i5/i7 Sandybridge bios temps are higher than any monitoring software temps provide. Must check mine when I go home for reference.

Nothing to worry about though. Good enough temperatures for the setup

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Leman

Those are excellent temps. 45*C at load would have required insane tech back in the CoreDuo days. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Champ

Thanks for the replies folks.

Always good to get some reassurance.:)

Quiet and cool and the shakedown continues to go well.
    I have the bios controlling the fans and they aren't ramping up under load which is great for a quiet orientated build + the fact that it doesn't burn up is great as well since quiet and cool are sort of conflicting attributes.:)

If your wondering I did add a second front intake fan so its a total of three fans. Two front intake, one rear exhaust. They're currently spinning at ~ 800 - 900 RPM and the Scythe Samurai ZZ at ~ 1100 RPM. By default the BIOS was going to set them at roughly 40% of those speeds but I was mindful that the case wasn't optimised for airflow and didn't want to cook my hardware so override the defaults.

The build does have an external exhaust graphics card which probably helps out as the case doesn't have to deal with that heat too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

bios doesnt have power saving mode etc, it's always higher temps

Advertisement